aberdeen-music

Banchory goings-on

FOX

Hey guys. Not posted here for a long while but figure someone could help me out.

As part of university I'm making a website focused on Banchory and surrounding areas. Does anyone have any idea if anything contentious/talky is going on there I could focus a news story or five on? :)

Thanks!

Off the top of my head:

There's a new rum brewery opening up which is supposedly the only dedicated rum brewery in the UK

The rugby pitch just got its facilities upgraded (floodlights etc) and is on a big recruitment drive

They've not finished to hill of Banchory development and there's some folk up in arms about that

Also developers are trying to buy the land in the Lochton woods to the north of the town which locals are unhappy about

I'll ask my Mum. 

You could check the Deeside Piper website and rip off their stories, though they're not exactly renowned for hard hitting journalism.  Most of their time at the moment appears to be spent bigging up the local Tory election candidate.

There's a new rum distillery being built in the business park. Due to start operating next year I think.  Google Dark Matter distillers.

Many locals are idly speculating when, if ever, the new sports centre will be built. Been promised since long before I moved to Banchory and just seems to get pushed back and back.

Local resident and hill runner Robbie Simpson has been having a good summer racing season in the Alps including racing at European and World Championships, check his blog at http://mountainrunningman.com/

Can't think of much really contentious stuff that's happened recently. Someone tried to break into Morrisons earlier this week, that's about it.

Of course the most devastating news for Banchory is my imminent departure next week.

Also developers are trying to buy the land in the Lochton woods to the north of the town which locals are unhappy about

I think that's all part of the same Leys Estate development as all the Hill of Banchory stuff.  Sure at one point Deeside Brewery was going to be part of that development but haven't heard much more about that recently.