aberdeen-music

Which DAW do you use? And why?

meiklejohn

I have used in the past: Audacity, Reaper, Cubase, GarageBand

I now use Logic 9 Pro. The difference is phenomenal in terms of flexibility in my opinion. Logic works and it works well. The stock plug-ins are pretty good, though can obviously be bettered by purchasing dedicated plug ins. I started with GarageBand when I switched to a Mac (best move I've made) but quickly decided to take the plunge and move to Logic and the move was fairly painless. Like most things using a DAW requires learning the ins and outs to get the best out of it. The learning curve can be quite difficult to go from getting something that works and gives you a listenable end result to giving you an end product that you would be able to stand up against some of your favourite albums etc and be proud of.

The biggest advice I would give is, if finances allow, buy a dedicated computer for music and only use it for that. Since I made that move I've had a lot less hassle with things going wrong a lot less often.