aberdeen-music

McKay's of Queen Street

Improved Thinker

I love this shop because it has alot of character but does anyone know what the deals is with this place. Does it only have 2 employee's, are they there every day, are they related, is the older downstairs guy still alive, how does it make a profit, can any of you address this mysterious shop once and for all?

Those guys originally worked for The Rubber Shop on George St.  Another of Aberdeen's idiosyncratic shops of yore:

abdn%20(5).jpg

When that sold-up and closed to make way for the Bon Accord Centre (the story about how it was then stiffed-out of a unit in the new centre is another one of Abdn's old shifty tales), the owners did the surprisingly decent thing and saw that the staff losing their jobs were looked after properly - either till retirement for the older ones or in the case of the younger ones, helped to get set-up in new jobs or businesses of their own.

Edited by pogofish

Those guys originally worked for The Rubber Shop on George St.  Another of Aberdeen's idiosyncratic shops of yore:

abdn%20(5).jpg

When that sold-up and closed to make way for the Bon Accord Centre (the story about how it was then stiffed-out of a unit in the new centre is another one of Abdn's old shifty tales), the owners did the surprisingly decent thing and saw that the staff losing their jobs were looked after properly - either till retirement for the older ones or in the case of the younger ones, helped to get set-up in new jobs or businesses of their own.

This doesn't sound quite right , mckays was open long before the rubber shop closed

Hostile takeover? Leveraged buyout?

More like they took over the day to day running of the shop and bought it up over a number of years.  

Used to be quite a common way of taking-over a business whilst retaining continuity when the original owners wanted to retire/get-out.

Edited by pogofish

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/6/2019 at 8:05 PM, Lemonade said:

Is it actually still open? I'm back in the city for a couple of days next month, I must go in for a look around. 

Yes, it's still open for now. The way the roof is looking they might have to close. Aberdeen has changed alot in recent times even I could not keep up. The police are moving into Marischal (or however it's bloody spelt) College.

I really do miss this forum. I'm coming up for 24 now.

On 12/8/2019 at 1:09 AM, Improved Thinker said:

Yes, it's still open for now. The way the roof is looking they might have to close. Aberdeen has changed alot in recent times even I could not keep up. The police are moving into Marischal (or however it's bloody spelt) College.

I really do miss this forum. I'm coming up for 24 now.

I'm a month off 40 :(

• 2 weeks later...