aberdeen-music

McKay's of Queen Street

Improved Thinker

Found out today that is it at least 105 years old was not expecting that. I love this shop because it has alot of character but does anyone know what the deals is with this place. Does it only have 2 employee's, are they there every day, are they related, is the older downstairs guy still alive, how does it make a profit, can any of you address this mysterious shop once and for all?

• Upvote 1

Weird, I was just thinking about this place yesterday. I used to buy a lot of clothes from it in my student days, it was brilliant for finding what would now be considered "vintage" clothes, the guy who worked there was very hard work though. Whenever I'd go in he'd be on me as soon as I walked through the door, "what are you looking for?" and no matter what it was his stock response seemed to be "we don't have any but we'll be getting new stock next week" before ushering you towards the door. You actually had to be quite firm if you just wanted to browse. A proper old school approach to shop keeping.

Anyway the reason I was thinking about it is I went in last time I was back for the first time in over 10 years. It was the same guy working and he pounced on us as soon as we went in but this time he seemed desperate for us to look around and browse freely. Maybe he just doesn't like the look of younger people. Anyway we tried to look around but wow that place is overstocked. Floor to roof, piled up, every corner, every shelf towering and ready to topple, you can't get near any of the display racks because there's a huge pile of clothes in front of it, and then another huge pile in front of that. You can't even walk around most of the shop because there's a 6 foot wide pile of stuff all around it. It kind of felt like he's lost control of the place a little bit and let it get away from him. It was always well stocked but wow. It's chaos now.

Weird, I was just thinking about this place yesterday. I used to buy a lot of clothes from it in my student days, it was brilliant for finding what would now be considered "vintage" clothes, the guy who worked there was very hard work though. Whenever I'd go in he'd be on me as soon as I walked through the door, "what are you looking for?" and no matter what it was his stock response seemed to be "we don't have any but we'll be getting new stock next week" before ushering you towards the door. You actually had to be quite firm if you just wanted to browse. A proper old school approach to shop keeping.

Anyway the reason I was thinking about it is I went in last time I was back for the first time in over 10 years. It was the same guy working and he pounced on us as soon as we went in but this time he seemed desperate for us to look around and browse freely. Maybe he just doesn't like the look of younger people. Anyway we tried to look around but wow that place is overstocked. Floor to roof, piled up, every corner, every shelf towering and ready to topple, you can't get near any of the display racks because there's a huge pile of clothes in front of it, and then another huge pile in front of that. You can't even walk around most of the shop because there's a 6 foot wide pile of stuff all around it. It kind of felt like he's lost control of the place a little bit and let it get away from him. It was always well stocked but wow. It's chaos now.

I rarely get to go in due to me rarely needing outdoor stuff because as soon as you go in he asks why are you here and you don't really get the option to just browse but maybe that has changed since I was last in. The last time I went in was awkward because I browsed a little upstairs but didn't end up buying anything. The problem with the stocking situation is that they never get rid of old stock not even the XS and the XXS size. Going from the review comments on their official website it appears the older guy works there 7 days a week which I think he deserves an OBE for but still the younger guy upstairs is not always there as a customer was complaining at not being allowed to go up stairs alone which I thought was fair enough since you might shoplift. It would be an easy store to shoplift from as it appears they don't ever take a stock take I wonder if anyone ever looks at their books. I first went there 10 years ago with my now older sister and her friends when we went to see Balamory switch on the Christmas lights and because it started raining he gave one of my sisters friends because she did not have a jacket a free jacket. It was a male jacket but still. Going back to the website comments sadly the majority are about it being a death-trap and that they are not happy because they tripped on the stairs and the staff only said to be careful. It seems to be a Marmite place but I love it and to still be going at least 105 Years on means they must be doing something right.

I rarely get to go in due to me rarely needing outdoor stuff because as soon as you go in he asks why are you here and you don't really get the option to just browse but maybe that has changed since I was last in. The last time I went in was awkward because I browsed a little upstairs but didn't end up buying anything. The problem with the stocking situation is that they never get rid of old stock not even the XS and the XXS size. Going from the review comments on their official website it appears the older guy works there 7 days a week which I think he deserves an OBE for but still the younger guy upstairs is not always there as a customer was complaining at not being allowed to go up stairs alone which I thought was fair enough since you might shoplift. It would be an easy store to shoplift from as it appears they don't ever take a stock take I wonder if anyone ever looks at their books. I first went there 10 years ago with my now older sister and her friends when we went to see Balamory switch on the Christmas lights and because it started raining he gave one of my sisters friends because she did not have a jacket a free jacket. It was a male jacket but still. Going back to the website comments sadly the majority are about it being a death-trap and that they are not happy because they tripped on the stairs and the staff only said to be careful. It seems to be a Marmite place but I love it and to still be going at least 105 Years on means they must be doing something right.

I don't even know where to start putting punctuation in this.

The Balamory people all stayed in the hotel I was working in when they were up doing that. The girl in the wheelchair was absolutely the nicest person I've ever met. She even gave me a Christmas card. Miss Hoolie was nice too. The only one I didn't like was Spencer, he was a prick.

Are you meaning the supposedly haunted Holiday Inn at the AECC or have you worked in another hotel?

The last time I was in McKays would be circa 2000 to buy a pair of flared trousers. The proprietor was as pouncy as ever, but seemed genuinely interested in assiting me and selling me some flares.

He took me to a rack of denims, hidden behind a sartorial mountain, and handed me a pair of flared jeans, exclaiming they were "original seventies flares", and judging by the smell of them, I knew he wasn't lying.

Four washes it took to get the foostie mothball smell out of the denim. Great pair of flares, though. Along with my original Parka, I looked like an extra from That 70s Show.

Happy memories.

• Upvote 1

No it was that one. You've been reading your archives.

I love the archives particularly around 2004. I found out about you working at the hotel on the ghost/paranormal thread. I like old stuff for example I am currently listening to Steps Greatest Hits on Itunes and I don't know why. I went to see them live once in 2012 at the AECC.

Edited by Improved Thinker
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do you believe in ghosts?

Half and Half. I would like to think they were real because the stories are quite cool but I am not sure. I have only read some of the thread the thread I am currently reading through is the "Aberdeen Celebrities!" thread of which I am currently on page 11 of 23.

Edited by Improved Thinker

You can get some real bargains here as the stuff is genuine NOS (new old stock) and is often still priced from when it was new.

This means that sometimes when he finds you a pair of jeans from to 70s they are still at 70's prices thus way cheaper than second hand vintage shops and ebay.

Yeah sure you might become trapped under several tons of polyester shirts and they might need the fire brigade to get you out but thats all part of the charm and the both police and fire brigade are very close by.

Everyone should take a look in this shop even if just to keep the legend alive (just don't all go in at once as else we could have a major disaster). Its not just for the outdoors stuff. Last time I was in I came out with tartan DMs and the most beautifully hideous shirt I'd ever seen!

Edited by Adam Cresser

• 9 months later...

Well I went in again today for the first time in many years. I went to get some Wellington Boots for T In The Park. I was greeted by the guy downstairs who has got considerably older than the last time I had seen him (Maybe in his 80's). Some changes are it seemed to be more organised than last time and the till downstairs has gone. We had a conversation about T In The Park and how he had not heard much about it this year. He mentioned about many people buying stuff for festivals this year.

He still stands although you can see that maybe in his future he will need a seat or a walking stick.

I am going to say it, this is definitely badly written.