aberdeen-music

Plugging a head into a combo?

meiklejohn

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not...

I recently got rid of a hotrod deluxe combo and swapped it for a marshall jcm900 head and cab...

I did this purely based on aesthetics and fear, I love the look of a marshall stack behind me, I also love the fact that if the head fucks up I have a crate power block I can plug in and I'll have no problems!

I've been thinking and when it comes down to it, your playing is the most important, aesthetically a marshall stack looks good but to my ears, that fender was sweet as a nut. Lugging a big 100watt marshall head and 4x12 to play a small pub is... Let's face it... Ridiculous.

Oh and it turns out that having a marshall stack doesn't make me sound and play like slash or bonamassa? Total mind blower!

So what I'm thinking now is I'm going to get a hotrod or a blues deluxe again... However I still have that fear of if it gets damaged on the way to the gig or malfunctions during a show, would I be able to plug the power block into the amp? I'm assuming they all have speaker cable inputs so I'd just unplug the the speaker from the combo and plug the head into it? Then my combo is just a 1x12 cab?

Is that correct or am I speaking out my arse?

Thanks.