aberdeen-music

Bedroom combo recommendations

Chris

Considering ditching my Dual Terror and 1x12 cab for a small, bedroom friendly combo.  Anyone got any recommendations?

Would almost exclusively be used for practicing at home and recording.  Even switched down to 7W the Dual Terror is a bit loud and I just don't feel like I'm getting the best of it in that situation. Would also like something in a smaller package for saving space.

I've got an AC4 head and 1x12. Its perfect for my needs. It can hold its own in a jam, although there's not enough head room at 4 watts to play entirely clean but that suits me. Can be set to 4 ,1 or 1/4 watt.

You can bypass the speaker on the combo and connect to a cab which is pretty useful too. I've also read of people swapping the valves to give a bit of extra clean headroom but I've not bothered with mine. 

They're a bit pricey, and I bang on about them all the time, but I totally dig my Yamaha THR10. I use it for all the recording I do, which negates any need for microphones, as it just goes direct into a DAW. It even comes with a lite version of Cubase, and a cool desktop APP where you can tweak and store tones in the memory bank, as well as add more effects which aren't available on the amps interface.

Dedicated channels for acoustic and bass guitars, as well as a flat EQ channel for keys/synths/vocals. It does the lot, and is very much for home-use only in terms of volume. It's not very loud.

They look pretty badass too, with the tube faux-glow within the speaker grill.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  The micro terror seems to still have a loud reputation, so might skip that.  AC4 is a possibility, though may be a bit jangly.  There's a Gretsch 4 watt box that might work but has no tone control.

The Yamaha one seems interesting. How is it with pedals or do you just use the on board modelling?

Think I might have to pay some shops a visit and try some out.

The smaller Blackstar HT amps are worth a try out too, they're surprisingly good for their price. I've got the 5-watt combo, which I think sounds decent at lower volumes and I can use headphones or the direct line out for recording if I want to crank it up without getting noise complaints. I'd also be happy using it live since it can go incredibly loud and it has the option to connect it external speaker cabs.

The OD channel is a bit uninspiring IMO, but I think the clean channel tone is really good, so mostly just use that with pedals when I need overdrive.

The smaller HT-1 is probably more what you're after size-wise, though I think it has more basic tone controls and fewer bells and whistles like an fx loop.

Hughes and kettner tubemeister 5 watt head or combo. High quality build and also has the red box di out which is fantastic as you can record and play silently. I use the feature on my egnater every evening. Come 8pm I feel guilty being in my cabs so hook up the record out into my little mixing desk and play with headphones and can keep the amp settings the same to keep the same tone.

• 3 weeks later...