aberdeen-music

Pedals to assist in achieving a Jangle pop/rock sound

robkevertson

Just wondering if anyone has experience with  compressor/sustainer pedals to give a jangly guitar sound.. I know telecasters , rickenbackers, 12 strings , vox, fender amps etc help get the sound but can anyone give me their views on whats out there to create this pedal wise. In other words what are the decent sustainer/compressors out there?

Cheers

Edited by robkevertson

I use compression a lot.

Just now I've got a Z.Vex instant lo-fi junky on my board, before that I used an Xotic SP.

It really depends what sound you want to get - A dynacomp or CS-3 is probably a good place to start. It's not a quiet effect though so you need to be willing to have a fair bit of background crackle at higher volumes.

Cheers Col, its more a 60s kinda vibe I'm looking for.. The Byrds, teenage fanclub, R.E.M etc.. Just trying to get a nice chime and wondered if adding a compressor/sustainer would help

Get a dynacomp, while the Keeley comps are good it's not really worth shelling out unless you're sure it's something you want. And you can sell a dynacomp on pretty easily.

Edited by colb

The compressor would add sustain and tighten things up but depending on how you set it will determine the difference it will make. Why not just get an eq pedal. You can then boost the frequencies you want to boost to give it that extra top end and drop any problem frequencies that you may not like. If you want to test an eq pedal I have one here you could borrow. Otherwise a tele into an ac30 be the expensive route.