aberdeen-music

Head and Cab vs Combo?

brettthain1

Not sure if this thread has already been done before but I thought it would be interesting to see what do people use (amp wise) and why they would go for combo rather than a head and cab for example.

For me, I think a combo sounds more appealing because it's all in one box and I'd have some space to store in my house, but then a head and cab looks cooler, can go much more louder but fitting it in my car would be a nightmare!

A positive with respects to the head and cab combo, is that it's more economical if you are thinking of upgrading your amp or switching cabs. Say you go for a 4x12 initially then decide a 1x12 is more practical, or that your 15w head isn't cutting the mustard so you buy a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier instead.

• Upvote 1

I prefer a head and cab. The option you have of matching your head with an infinite amount of cabs is a good option to have. It's also good for small gigs, where someone will bring a cab or two, and everyone can just bring heads. A head is a bit more portable. This is also good for me, as I've not owned my own cab for a while now. I'd have nowhere in my flat to put it, and it would never get used in my flat anyway, as I don't want to get an ASBO. Valve heads are loud.

I also find that a large proportion of valve combos are open back, where as a lot of cabs are closed. I prefer closed. I also think an angled 4x12 sounds better than a 1x12/2x12 combo. A good cab will often have a bigger, tighter sound, to my ears anyway.

But it's all about preference.

I guess the best thing with the head and cab is you can mix them up and experiment with different speakers.

I'm torn between the Vox AC15c1 and the AC30c2. The AC15 would be more practical for carrying around but the AC30 is overall the best sounding and giver you that extra power and headroom.

I also find that a large proportion of valve combos are open back, where as a lot of cabs are closed. I prefer closed. I also think an angled 4x12 sounds better than a 1x12/2x12 combo. A good cab will often have a bigger, tighter sound, to my ears anyway.

But it's all about preference.

That's the main reason which I chose the Orange Crush 20w practicing amp for my bedroom. It's a solid state though, but it's closed back and sounds really good, but it's only a 1x8 speaker. Small on size but can go really loud!

I have an open back Valve 2x12 combo that I like very much, but it's too heavy for me to be bothered lugging about the place. For recording I put the amp against the wall if I want a tighter sound and away from the wall for a more open kinda tone.

If I can, I use whatever amps are at the gig. I'm not precious about live sound - most people watching a band won't notice the difference between valve or solid state, combo or head & cab so I don't worry about it either. 

I have an open back Valve 2x12 combo that I like very much, but it's too heavy for me to be bothered lugging about the place. For recording I put the amp against the wall if I want a tighter sound and away from the wall for a more open kinda tone.

If I can, I use whatever amps are at the gig. I'm not precious about live sound - most people watching a band won't notice the difference between valve or solid state, combo or head & cab so I don't worry about it either.

Do you not worry about stuff getting into the back of your open back amp? Or am I just speaking rubbish? Haha.

The fender head in captain toms is really good! Is that one solid state? I remember from earlier on people were talking about how good the orange head is. I can't get my head around it, I can't get it to sound good! I was using it last Sunday and it didn't sound full, where as the other week we were in, my mate was using it and he was playing it through his rickenbacker 360 and it sounded incredible!

Been saying that for years. Once you get a drummer and bass and shouter involved it doesn't really matter .

I don't mind using whatever amp is available when my band starts gigging soon. My biggest fear is plugging into an amp before a gig and can't get it to sound right.

Edited by brettthain1

I prefer using a head and cab for the versatility of utilising different cab types and different speaker configurations depending on where I am (of course it depends on what is available). 

Though I'm considering changing out to a rack preamp and poweramp arrangement so that I can change things about that little bit more. :)

I don't mind using whatever amp is available when my band starts gigging soon. My biggest fear is plugging into an amp before a gig and can't get it to sound right.

Gigging with house or other peoples amps:

Plug guitar into amp

Turn everything to 12 o'clock

Adjust gain and volume

Adjust bass middle treble in that order.

Five mins tops.

Gigging with house or other peoples amps:

Plug guitar into amp

Turn everything to 12 o'clock

Adjust gain and volume

Adjust bass middle treble in that order.

Five mins tops.

I sort of do something similar with my amp at home and the ones at captain toms. The volume is adjusted to about 5, the gain is about half way. The treble is about 7/8 then the bass is 3/4 and the middle is about 5/6. It seems to work well too with the fender head.

If I encounter the orange head again I'll try it out!

I've always got on fine with combos. I've no choice these days as anything bigger than a 1x12 wont fit in a mini :)

I have a Mesa Boogie 5:25 Express Combo with a 10" speaker. I was asked to turn it down at a gig the Stonehaven Town Hall because it was too LOUD! 

It also fits in my Mini Cooper.

I do agree with the points raised by the pro head/cab folks though. They DO look cool - and as much as anything, a stack or half-stack epitomises the very image of rock'n'roll. You can mix and match (Ohms not withstanding) for different sounds too.

However, as one poster rightly pointed out, you're not going to get the most out of it in a gig at the Stab Inn - you'd need to be playing Isle of Wight!. The last time I used a Marshall half stack for a pub gig, I had the 25w attenuator on and couldn't feasibly turn the master volume above 3...and as we all know, the more you crank a valve amp, the better it sounds.

There's a case for both.

Why people buy 100watt valve amps is beyond me.

^

This 100%. I owned a JCM 800 head, and an 80's Fender twin when I was younger, both of which were 100 watt although the twin could be cut to 25 watts. I put it down to lack of knowledge, being young and just seeing what your favourite guitarists used and going for that... 

To the OP I have no preference over combo or head and cab. Go for what sounds good to you 

• Upvote 1

If I can, I use whatever amps are at the gig. I'm not precious about live sound - most people watching a band won't notice the difference between valve or solid state, combo or head & cab so I don't worry about it either. 

I disagree with this. Playing through a valve amplifier live or a digital modelling amp live, I will pick the valve amp every single time. My reasoning is that the amplifier I am playing through effects how I play, and that in turn will change the performance. My main complaints against digital modelling of (some) solid state amps is that they don't push air in the same was as a valve amp, giving you a less dynamic response to your playing. It almost feels like you are listening to the guitar tone through a hi-fi, rather than organically generating it yourself. Throwing a fuzz pedal into a valve amp and cranking it sounds a whole lot different to putting it through, say a Fender Frontman 212R.

Modelling stuff is great for recording though, I'll give it that.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Jan. The dynamics of a valve amp feel completely different to me, and even if other people can't tell, I certainly can. Perhaps non guitar-nerds folk in the audience can't tell, but I'd guess the gearheads will. I've definitely seen my fair share of bands with ear-splitting guitar tone, due to crappy amps.

One of my favourite things about gigging is getting to turn my amp up loud and play, and it sounding just as I want it to. I wouldn't enjoy it the same if I was going through a shrill sounding solid state combo.

Why people buy 100watt valve amps is beyond me.

TBH I hav eno idea. Might be from years ago when the PA's were rubbish and the guitarist wanted to be heard past drummers or screaming fans.

Could be something to do with getting a decent clean sound at high volumes. I've had 100w amps and never even got them near flat out. Gee even a 30w AC30 is loud as fook.

Interesting the bass players seem to like bigger wattage though like 400-500 watts or something.