aberdeen-music

Your Musical U-turns

ca_gere

What band/artist have you gone from disliking to liking and why? Or vice versa.

e.g. For some reason I used to really hate Genesis. I grew up only knowing the late 80s output so to me, they were this slightly cheesy stadium pop band. Then a friend introduced me to the real Genesis - I had no idea how I didn't know they were originally a prog rock band - and Foxtrot is probably one of my favourite albums of that era/genre.

To be fair to Genesis there, even in the 80's/90's they did some great prog songs, things like Home by the Sea, or driving the last spike, they are a weird band because they mixed it in with some not so good pop songs (though there are a few classic pop songs too).

Edited by jester1470

Ooh... here's one: Foster the People. 

I totally wrote them off as a shitty one-song anthema-pop wonder, which to some extent they maybe are. Then I would hear songs here and there in bars or shops that I really liked and would ask who it was and be embarrassed that I was beginning to like them. Then I actually listened to that album and it's great. It's quite samey but I like that sound.

People seem to be answering different questions in here. There's a difference between your opinion changing on a band and and band changing during their career.

I can't think of specific bands right now but I've had a few u-turns with genres due to not being a narrow minded teenager who thinks he knows everything anymore. In the past I would have written off everything you'd class as dance music, hip hop or pop without listening to it. Now I love a lot from those genres. 

I've never been a big fan of Biffy but they used to be interesting in the way they structured songs. They sounded like an old DC band with modern production. Some really smart riffs and grooves. They didn't just hammer the fretboard like alot of off-kilter indie-rock tends to do. It was all very accessible and quite head of its time, considering the overload of math-rock around now. Now they just seem to write songs that sound like background music to me. Nothing about them really stands out any more. Whenever I hear a newer Biffy song, I imagine it could be used on the soundtrack to a bland film, in a scene where someone is running in slow motion. They are very dull now.

Comparing this:

to this:

It's pretty much a different band. "The Captain" and stuff that came out around the same time, and everything since, has been utter toss.

• Upvote 1

But back on topic, I think a lot of the stuff I listened to when I was at high school/college tends to make me cringe these days. I listened to some horrible pop-punk and stuff that could probably be categorised as "emo". The Ataris, Taking Back Sunday, New Found Glory, Brand New. Yuck! I can't really stomach that kind of bubblegum punk now. Same goes for ska-punk. 

I still dig all the Fat/Epi skate-punk I was into back then though. That stuff still rips. Strung Out were my favourite of that lot.

This isnt the thread for hot jams, but this is a major hot jam

Great examples (biffy eens)

The top video has a cool riff that sounds a little bit out of tune, a little bit off the beat, there's heavy guitars in places and you can actually hear the crunch to them.

The bottom video contains absolutely nothing that is 'off' or that stands out in any way. Even the vocals are stripped away of any personality by sweeping harmonies in the background.  It's all just perfectly adequate.

Edited by ca_gere

ZZ Top
Wu-Tang Clan
GZA
Mobb Deep
...in fact, pretty much any hip-hop that wasn't French (I know that sounds stupid, but for some reason I only used to like French hip-hop)
AC/DC
Johnny Cash
Captain Beefheart
Fall of Efrafa
Witchcraft

and most recently...Suicidal Tendencies.

Probably shitloads more.

Totally agree with Biffy. The first 3 albums were great but I lost touch with them after that. I'd put Jimmy Eat World in the same category. Their early output was raw and they've gradually gotten more polished as the years have gone on and now it's just shite (IMO).

I've always thought Deftones output was pretty solid, the lost it slightly around Saturday Night Wrist but Diamond Eyes was a belter.

Great examples (biffy eens)

The top video has a cool riff that sounds a little bit out of tune, a little bit off the beat, there's heavy guitars in places and you can actually hear the crunch to them.

The bottom video contains absolutely nothing that is 'off' or that stands out in any way. Even the vocals are stripped away of any personality by sweeping harmonies in the background.  It's all just perfectly adequate.

I think that's my favourite Biffy song, if I was to pick one. I love that call and response chorus. The whole song is incredibly jarred, but still remains poppy as hell throughout. Hot jam.

But I can't really fault them for going down the 'anthemic' route, I guess. Loads of bands do it once they start to generate a substantial audience. It sells. I guess more people care about huge anthemtic choruses they can slur along to at a festival than they care about odd time signatures and quick changes between twangy and crunchy guitars.

They were already getting pretty huge whilst still doing the oddly timed stop-start punk rock thing. It's a shame they didn't take advantage of that by exploring that sound to a bigger audience. They took the easy/boring route, and are now quite probably incredibly wealthy. Fair one.

I've always thought Deftones output was pretty solid, the lost it slightly around Saturday Night Wrist but Diamond Eyes was a belter.

SNW is decent. I think they could have trimmed it down to 8 songs maybe, and it would be solid. It does have a few dingers on it, but also a couple of tracks which are amongst their best. Even with the filler tracks, I'd still listen to it over Adrenaline.

The Smashing Pumpkins. The first song of theirs that I heard was Tonight, Tonight and that nasal billy corgan whine with the string section behind it put me right off. It was only 4/5 years ago that I went back and gave them a proper chance and now I'd go as far as to say I'm a fan. Not a Jan level fan but a well wisher, in that I wish them no specific harm.

Johnny Cash

Same here. Around about the time he died and that Nine Inch Nails one came out I became a little bit more 'aware' of him beyond the name but had no interest in bothering to listen to any of his stuff because I figured it was all boring speak-sing slow country music. Then maybe a year ago I started making a list of classic albums I hadn't listened to and his prison performance was in there. Stuck it on one day and was completely blown away. Incredible, brilliant, beautiful performance and music. 

The second of those Biffy songs is pretty dire. I was never a huge fan of theirs, I went to see them live with some friends once and they were decent. 

I used to be hugely into Bright Eyes, I bet I'd struggle to get through a lot their songs nowadays. Even the better written songs with production I like have cringey lyrics that would push me.