aberdeen-music

Singer/guitarist to start or join a originals hard rock/metal band

riich

Hi, 

I just moved to Aberdeen and don't know hardly any musicians around. I'm looking to get some music going. And although I do play a fair different types of music, here I'm looking to play something bit heavy, like Alter Bridge, but in no mean trying to copy their style. If you listen to other bands with some similarity then we can give it a try. My other influence include: Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Queen Adreena... I'm sure there're some bands there I mentioned that you don't like at all, but I'm not looking to get all their influence in so don't worry. But if there're some bands there you do like and are welling to give it a try, we'll go towards that direction. I used to play a lot of metal and now I also listen to a lot of jazz, so there is a range I can do. And I've worked with musicians who don't have any same favourite bands as each other but at least we played a similar style and it worked really well. 

Here's about my singing. I mostly idolise Steven Tyler and Myles Kennedy, so I'm comfortable at that thin high pitch but I'm welling to put in all sorts of diversity to make the music good. I have played at some open mics and got some good feedback. I have just recorded another acoustic song that my friend is doing some mastering, when it's done I'll put it up (hopefully soon) and you get an idea of my writing style and singing. 

Guitar. Guitarists are out there more than dogs on the street but before I moved here I was a very well regarded guitarist in Southampton so if you're looking for someone a level higher than mediocre average then you might wanna give me a shout. I used to describe my playing as learning Paul Gilbert's technique and Randy Rhoads' style. And that is still somewhat true. I know to serve the song so I don't ask everyone to hold back and have a 20 minutes solo. I can do just some simple melody if that fits best, or I'll do a 5 minutes shred solo like DragonForce if it goes with that particular song. 

I'm happy to just be a guitarist in a band if you already have a singer and he/she is better than me, or I can be singer and guitarist. But I'm not welling to just be a singer without playing guitar at all, unless you already have 2 guitarists in your band and both are obviously better than me, but then I'd be pleasantly surprised you aren't headlining all the major festivals this summer. 

About me, I'm a 23 y/o student just started at University of Aberdeen. I'm friendly and easy going but I get very passionate with music. I'm perhaps writing all this text in a slightly cocky manner cos I've had so many time wasters with my last ad and if you've been through the same you know how they can change a good man. I hope to meet some nice people to jam with and have a laugh. Hope to get gigs in sight but there's no hurry, quality comes first. I already said in the title, I'm looking to play originals. I don't mind a few covers at the start to get things going but not a full or mostly cover band. My last ad had attracted interests from cover bands and I can tell you here I'm not interested. I hope to meet some talented musician who has the quality and confidence to regard themselves better than mediocre average and wants to play music better than the mediocre average. Do something different, something better. I mean, would you not be pissed off if you had a Ferrari but can only drive it like it's a Ford Fiesta? So, bassist with big groove I'll be more than happy to spend all my free time learning your polyrhythm and get it right. Guitarist with much creativity but not the super ego to make everyone else hold back all the time. Drummer welling to do some whacky fills than just holding the 4/4. 

And last but not least, if you're a time waster then just jog on before I get more annoyed by you. Otherwise, thanks a lot for reading this long long text, anything just give a shout!

have you considered auditioning for the x factor ?

i've got a side cover band singing wonderwall and preparing for britain's got talent. we practise 5 times a week just practise wonderwall and with that wonderwall all the ladies love it more than they love all other music. so watch the space ye son.

• Upvote 1

Have you got any youtube clips of yourself performing?

If no, could you make one?

Sure can try to get one done this weekend. Can't guarantee the finest sound quality though but it should give you an idea. What sort of style/influence are you looking for? So I can try playing something along that line. Cheers!

Sure can try to get one done this weekend. Can't guarantee the finest sound quality though but it should give you an idea. What sort of style/influence are you looking for? So I can try playing something along that line. Cheers!

Wonderwall

• Upvote 2

Hi, so I've done a quick rough demo of some guitar noodling and the link's below. It was pretty much all improvised apart from the starting riff and the later chord lines. I did it quickly and I hope you can take anything you like and leave whatever you don't like, cos if you don't like it we'll just not jam together anyway. Simple.

First 1.30 or so was just like pacman on steroid can't stick to a proper rhythm. Cos I had nothing at the back to keep tracking it. Don't worry, I can manage a 4/4 rhythm on slow-ish tempo on a good day.

After that I tried using simple loop as background and it's quite different in style. I'm happy to play either or both styles, as long as the band are happy.

Thanks for your interests! Also, that guitar in the photo (Ibanez RG2570EX) was used for recording this and is up for sale.

Thats real good and all but I and im sure others were hoping you'd get some Wonderwall in there. I know you've just moved up and so dont know the scene well but Wonderwall is a crowd pleaser here. Most bands will throw in an Oasis cover into their set, be it the wall or perhaps the more emotionally involved champagne supernova. The metal bands favouring a hardcore cover of SCYHO. It all depends on the night though and the cover's always played as the final song.

Go out with a bang right? 

Thats real good and all but I and im sure others were hoping you'd get some Wonderwall in there. I know you've just moved up and so dont know the scene well but Wonderwall is a crowd pleaser here. Most bands will throw in an Oasis cover into their set, be it the wall or perhaps the more emotionally involved champagne supernova. The metal bands favouring a hardcore cover of SCYHO. It all depends on the night though and the cover's always played as the final song.

Go out with a bang right? 

Yeh I'm looking for a band not a lecture and in all honesty I have no idea what your point is here. I know to play for the audience but I'd be a retard to put on an ad saying I regard myself better than average and then play Wonderwall as a demo to show others what I'm capable of. Everyone can manage Wonderwall.

Tbh right now I'm not too bothered whether people just wanna keep shouting to me trying to embarrassing me cos my initial post was so cocky (I know it's so cocky and I'd probably take it down some time when I get time to do a better one). But I went to The Downstairs Blues Jam the other day for the first time and more people than I could remember came to tell me how well I did when I came off stage, and blues is far far from my most natural territory. Not trying to be arrogant here, but I think it just shows that when you see me play you'll know why I have high expectation. I had been in bands playing less, and bands playing more, and now I'm not looking to take a step back just because here we have countless people preaching to me what they think I should do without knowing anything about me. You don't go to a kid hoping to become the next Lewis Hamilton and say, son go and drive some cabs, that's what everyone wants you to do and that's what gets you cash every night. I'd happily not have a band and spend all that time learning new things and improve myself instead of stop myself from improving and spend all that time doing cheap tricks just cos "people like it". In B.B. King's early career, people already hated him before they heard his music because they heard a guy is black and coming to sing blues, but he didn't stop that and go and play some mediocre mainstream instead, and when people actually heard his music, most of them changed their opinion instantly and took back their prejudgement. And now no one has a bad thing to say about him. I see people playing music for many years and stopped improving much for many years and they enjoyed doing the covers at the gigs and get good feedback, and I'm happy for them, but that's not gonna be me. 

Thank you for your time hearing that rough demo and telling me about music scene here. But like I already said, if you don't like it or if it's not what you want, just move on, we'll never meet and never jam together. All the best for yourself and your music.