aberdeen-music

Acoustic amp hire

Moon Moon

Okay so my band recording on Monday at foyer music. Only thing is we're doing an acoustic set but they have no proper acoustic amps only like Marshall mgfx50 or something like that and I tried my acoustic in it and it was absolutely awful sounding. So I'm looking to see if anyone has an acoustic amp I can borrow on Monday. Captain tom has none and never has before. Musical vision won't loan out the one i sold them so I'm basically screwed for sound quality. If anyone loans me an amp they can have a free meal from the tandoori?

Just get hold of a good Di box and mic then go direct. No need for an amp. Very rare would someone use an acoustic amp to record. Rarely people will use them live too.

tried using a mic last Sunday and it was terrible as the acoustics in the room and that amoungst some other reasons the guy said so that's why I'm saying amp I'm afraid.

Doesn't make sense to me moon moon. If the acoustics in the room are not great. Throwing another amp into it won't help. I'm assuming you are all playing live in the same room. Also I would imagine the amp will be close Mic'd or DI'd anyway.

I would recommend you DI your guitar and put a Mic on it then get a blend of the 2 in the mix.

If you have the time get the engineer to do a quick comparison of a few different methods.

I'm guessing the guitar will be accompanied by vocals, bass drums and possibly a second guitar so while a nice sound is still important it is not all about your guitar sound its about the overall sound of the band.

You just don't like taking advice from people who have been in this game much longer. Either get a good quality mic on the acoustic or run it as everyone else has said with a DI. It's direct so matters to shit the acoustics of the room. Never have I used an amp to record an acoustic. Plus if they put a shit mic in front of an amp you are back in the same boat all over again. Plus by the time someone mixes it you be back to square one.

Sorry guys had a moon moon moment and forgot I could just plug directly in to the DI

Understandable that you'd forget. I can't believe nobody suggested it.

Just get hold of a good Di box and mic then go direct. No need for an amp. Very rare would someone use an acoustic amp to record. Rarely people will use them live too.

Doesn't make sense to me moon moon. If the acoustics in the room are not great. Throwing another amp into it won't help. I'm assuming you are all playing live in the same room. Also I would imagine the amp will be close Mic'd or DI'd anyway.

I would recommend you DI your guitar and put a Mic on it then get a blend of the 2 in the mix.

Why not just have your electro DI'd?

You just don't like taking advice from people who have been in this game much longer. Either get a good quality mic on the acoustic or run it as everyone else has said with a DI. It's direct so matters to shit the acoustics of the room. Never have I used an amp to record an acoustic. Plus if they put a shit mic in front of an amp you are back in the same boat all over again. Plus by the time someone mixes it you be back to square one.

Correct, a piezo sounds like a piezo regardless. Direct will sound better as you will get bleed off the mic in front of an acoustic amp.

Edited by Soda van Jerk
  • Upvote 1