aberdeen-music

The Most Obscure Instrument(s) You Own

givemeasmile

I was tinkering about on my sitar the other night when I got a text from a friend to tell me he had finished building his cigar box guitar that he had been working on over the past few weeks. He said that it sounded great and that he was going to try and make another one in the near future. It then occurred to me that between the two of us we own a couple of instruments that are certainly not the most conventional that you are likely to find in the North East of Scotland.

It got me thinking that there must been an array of weird and wonderful musical instruments owned by the people on this forum. So post about your obscure instruments in this thread (pictures are obviously encouraged!).

Apologies if this thread or something similar already exists, I know there's a 'your gear' thread but thought this topic would merit it's own.

I'll post pics of my sitar later on; she's a beauty. My flatmate used to have an old hammond organ that I played a fair bit, and I have an accordian from the 1940's lying around in my loft somewhere.

I don't own many obscure instruments (doubt a glockenspiel counts).  Probably the most obscure would be my ESP LTD Hybrid-300. Don't think anyone else bought one!

Hybrid400_vsb.jpg

Not pointy enough for ESP's core demographic I think, they stopped making them after a year or two.

Nothing too weird. Ukulele, banjo, recorder. I had a trumpet for a while, took a few lessons but never got very far with it. Sold it to kybosh eventually.

There's a guy in Dublin who busks playing a cimbalom. It's so fucking cool. I really want a go on it. I've always fancied a shottie on the steel drum too.

I often use a phono fiddle live (one string, with a brass horn)

Sometimes play a ukelin (32 string US depression-era thing)

Various zithers and autoharps (bugger to tune)

Dulcimer (gets a live outing on occasion)

Psaltery (as above)

Lute guitar (scalloped frets)

Bell harp (12 string instrument which you swing while you play...used it a couple of times with'mickel mass')

Cuattro

12 string mandolin

VL-Tone & PT20 keyboards

Clarsach

French horn

etc

• Upvote 1