aberdeen-music

Low wattage valve head/combo

I currently have a egnater rebel 30. Stupidly loud at times. I can be on 2 and be over the drummer by miles. Few on ebay. Get great clean tones and plenty of gain on tap. Can even mix tubes between el34 and 6l6 so can decide fender or Marshall type sounds. Extremely versatile amp. Check one out. Combo or head available.

I got as far as trying to order one of those Lunchboxes, but they're out of stock until July..........so I bought another reverb pedal.

Jamie @ ii tried to talk me into the Hughes and Kettner 18w head a couple of weeks ago- he gigs with that and it's plenty of loud.

Those Orange Heads @ Toms are pretty good. I enjoy playing through them.

Edited by colb

Dual Terror is 30W of valve if you like the TT but think it won't have enough headroom for you. Can be switched down to 7w.

If it's just for backup though the most bang for buck would probably be a decent solid state amp I'd have thought, especially as you don't use valve distortion.

How do those Orange Crush amps sound when they are pushed hard and loud? I've read great reviews and all the demos sound great. Still not had a go on one yet, but my experience of SS and hybrid amps is that they make cabs sound farty at high volumes.

Pretty good and mighty. I have a Peavey Musician SS from the 70s and it reminds me of that.

How do those Orange Crush amps sound when they are pushed hard and loud? I've read great reviews and all the demos sound great. Still not had a go on one yet, but my experience of SS and hybrid amps is that they make cabs sound farty at high volumes.

They push air. Since there is no digital modelling in the pre amp or power amp stage (it's all analogue apparently), it does respond favourably at high volumes. It reminds me of an old MOSFET Marshall head a friend had years ago.

Saying that, I've just bought a Fender Super Champ X2 head from Imported Instruments. They let me crank the thing to 10, then let me crank the thing to 10 and put a fuzz box through it. It sounded very nice, and loud! It's got a crap load of digital bits in it that I will never use, but set as a basic clean amp suits me grand. A very capable back up amp, whilst the Sound City is sent off for some TLC. Looking forward to trying it out in anger, so if you want to see if it's any use, come along to Cellar 35 on Saturday 5th July for the Seas, Starry Tyto Alba album release show. [/sHAMELESS PLUG]

• Upvote 1

Interesting choice of amp. No concerns that the digital gubbins will get in the way?

I considered getting one a while back, and I remember correctly the digital stuff is only in the circuit for the overdriven channel, and the clean channel is tube only.

There seems to be two channels - one is voiced "Blackface" and the other has a rotary dial for a hoard of different tones. I know which channel I will be using and I suspect that Surfer_Rosa is correct. I'll have a look for the manual online, as II Music couldn't find the original.

I'll be taking it along to band practice tonight, so I'll see if it can out loud one David Woods.

• 3 weeks later...