aberdeen-music

Car Respray

jester1470

Yesterday my other half took her car to the car cleaning place at Dobbies, when she got it back and it had dried off we discovered that as well as taking the dirt they had taken quite a bit of the lacquer from the roof  

DSCF1697.jpg

DSCF16961.jpg

Not sure how we're going to prove this but from what people have said it looks like they used the jetwash setting too high or too hot and it's stripped back the lacquer. They are of course denying everything and no idea how we're going to prove it, the garage it was at before we took it to them confirms the roof was Ok there but she didn't notice it until I asked when we I got home. The problem is I guess now there's a good chance the whole roof will need to be resprayed and possibly the bonnet too as there's a bit off there. This is going to be very pricey, does anyone know where the best place to get a quote might be ?

Very pissed off, also does anyone know much about this kind of thing, they say they'll let me see the CCTV but I doubt we'll see much and I don't know what I'm looking for enough to see whats what,

It's hard to tell from the pics, but are there small blemishes/spots all through the paint, obviously I dont mean the big patches where the laquer has come off,

The little blemishes could indicate a poor finish. Has the car been sprayed before?

Also, don't those jetwash things always have an indemnity saying the user is soley responsible etc...?

Sorry, did "Dobbies" actually do the operation of the jetwash?

Yes they did, the car was left with them and then picked up, they did the complete hand wash. Nope the roof has never been sprayed as far as we know, and we've had it 4 years. There is some pitting etc and marking on the roof but there wasn't before, the car was parked outside our house under a tree and consequently it had a lot of sap on the roof from the last month or so, which is why we took it to them to clean rather than just go to a car wash. What we can surmise is that the sap was very tough to get off and they put on a special stuff to loosen it and then jetwashed it too hard and the stuff they had put on softened the lacquer too. The car has been pretty well looked after although it is a bit older and they're saying it hadn't and was a mess, we're taking it to some painting places this evening to see what they say about the condition of the paint, and imo regardless of what condition the pain is in they shoul;dnt have kept going if they were in doubt it would damage the car,

Edited by jester1470

Yes they did, the car was left with them and then picked up, they did the complete hand wash. Nope the roof has never been sprayed as far as we know, and we've had it 4 years. There is some pitting etc and marking on the roof but there wasn't before, the car was parked outside our house under a tree and consequently it had a lot of sap on the roof from the last month or so, which is why we took it to them to clean rather than just go to a car wash. What we can surmise is that the sap was very tough to get off and they put on a special stuff to loosen it and then jetwashed it too hard and the stuff they had put on softened the lacquer too. The car has been pretty well looked after although it is a bit older and they're saying it hadn't and was a mess, we're taking it to some painting places this evening to see what they say about the condition of the paint, and imo regardless of what condition the pain is in they shoul;dnt have kept going if they were in doubt it would damage the car,

Thats a real shame that this has happened, that tree sap stuff is a headnip to remove, When I used to sell a few cars I had to use "T-Cut" to remove it.  Hope you get it sorted then,

Before I became an IT God (and we're talking Zeus here), I served my time as a panel beater/spray painter (no, I'm retired from that and NOT making a comeback !).

There are several causes of peeling laquer and it's most common in the case of repainted vehicles.

• Poor surface preparation - the main culprit
  • Too thin a coat
  • Poor quality materials
  • Over polishing and surface abrasion
  • Extreme temperatures - rare in this country
  • Fault in factory procedures
  • Catalytic reaction to solvent, incompatible paint etc.
  • High pressure jet getting under the skin

Looking at the size of the area and the ragged edges on your roof and bonnet, I postulate the laquer was lifted by a high-pressure jet, but would stop short at placing all the blame at the cleaning dude. It's possible - if the car is 2nd hand to you - that there was an issue with the laquer  - possibly a shitty respray job - before it was subject to the pressure hose.

It's a toughie :(

PS - what make/model is your car?

Edited by Nomad_Axeman

Before I became an IT God (and we're talking Zeus here), I served my time as a panel beater/spray painter (no, I'm retired from that and NOT making a comeback !).

There are several causes of peeling laquer and it's most common in the case of repainted vehicles.

• Poor surface preparation - the main culprit
  • Too thin a coat
  • Poor quality materials
  • Over polishing and surface abrasion
  • Extreme temperatures - rare in this country
  • Fault in factory procedures
  • Catalytic reaction to solvent, incompatible paint etc.
  • High pressure jet getting under the skin

Looking at the size of the area and the ragged edges on your roof and bonnet, I postulate the laquer was lifted by a high-pressure jet, but would stop short at placing all the blame at the cleaning dude. It's possible - if the car is 2nd hand to you - that there was an issue with the laquer  - possibly a shitty respray job - before it was subject to the pressure hose.

It's a toughie :(

PS - what make/model is your car?

It's a VW polo, we're pretty sure it hasn't had a respray job, at least we would be very surprised, it was driven from new by an old lady prior to us getting it who had done 30,000 miles in about 9 years, she had all the repair receipts etc going right back to when she got it so I think it was unlikely there was any accident that would have caused such an extensive respray.

It's a VW polo, we're pretty sure it hasn't had a respray job, at least we would be very surprised, it was driven from new by an old lady prior to us getting it who had done 30,000 miles in about 9 years, she had all the repair receipts etc going right back to when she got it so I think it was unlikely there was any accident that would have caused such an extensive respray.

I suspected that you'd say Veedubya - there's a history of laquer problems with them.

I hope you can get some form of compensation from the valet service. Worse case scenario, it shouldn't cost too much to have a new skin put on the roof and bonnet :)

• 4 weeks later...

I think the main problem is with our local wildlife using cars as their toilet... the bird shit burns the lacquer and causes it to lift and separate from the base colour underneath, it then doesn't take much to rip it off in sheets with a jetwash... did the one careful owner (old lady) work in the fish by any chance? 

I think the main problem is with our local wildlife using cars as their toilet... the bird shit burns the lacquer and causes it to lift and separate from the base colour underneath, it then doesn't take much to rip it off in sheets with a jetwash... did the one careful owner (old lady) work in the fish by any chance? 

I doubt it they weren't Aberdeen based, the car was very rarely used from what we can gather, certainly not as a commuter car, not sure if it was a spare car or just used on weekends etc but it averaged about 3,500miles a year.