aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Moon Moon

Racism in Aberdeen

Its questions like this,

1. In 55BC Julius Caesar led a Roman invasion of Britain. It was unsuccessful and for nearly ______ years Britain remained separate from the Roman Empire

Or

1. The UK was one of the first countries to sign the European Convention in ______

?I couldnt answer either of those two questions, and why do you need to know this to become a british citizen?

Its questions like this,

1. In 55BC Julius Caesar led a Roman invasion of Britain. It was unsuccessful and for nearly ______ years Britain remained separate from the Roman Empire

Or

1. The UK was one of the first countries to sign the European Convention in ______

?I couldnt answer either of those two questions, and why do you need to know this to become a british citizen?

A slight deviation, but what do you think the criteria is to be a British citizen?

A slight deviation, but what do you think the criteria is to be a British citizen?

Bad teeth, overweight, tight, moody, obsessed with weather, racist, tattoo of queen etc....

• Upvote 3

To be able to integrate into british society, know the common laws, know the language. I dont see what questions about ancient history, that a great number of british born people couldnt answer, will show in terms of being able to prove you should be classed as a brit. Anyone can read and learn from a history book, but does that really make you closer to being british?  

If I ever lost my job to "some cunt who can't speak English", then I think I would only ever question myself and how worthless I must be.

thats kinda different because I agree with you there in the sense, why lose your job to someone who can't speak English and probably can't do the job as well

Completely different if they could speak English and could do the job better than you and worker harder then you could leave with some dignity

To be able to integrate into british society, know the common laws, know the language. I dont see what questions about ancient history, that a great number of british born people couldnt answer, will show in terms of being able to prove you should be classed as a brit. Anyone can read and learn from a history book, but does that really make you closer to being british?  

I do agree that perhaps a test on Britain's history is a bit redundant when measuring if someone qualifies for a British passport, but I also think that the traits you have listed go under the "decent human being" category. Pride over one's nationality is quite a bizarre thing, in my opinion.

Heinz is right enough in his assertion about stealing jobs - most of these arguments fall apart when questioned.

In response to becoming a British citizen. Really if you know your laws, rights and responsibilities and of course the language.

I came across this on Facebook earlier

does anyone else agree that with migrant people in Britain working or not that if they break the law they should be sent back to their country. Or like a 3 strikes and your out kinda thing

I do agree that perhaps a test on Britain's history is a bit redundant when measuring if someone qualifies for a British passport, but I also think that the traits you have listed go under the "decent human being" category. Pride over one's nationality is quite a bizarre thing, in my opinion.

Heinz is right enough in his assertion about stealing jobs - most of these arguments fall apart when questioned.

Yeah thats my only point, i dont think answering questions on british history really makes you any more british in the bigger picture of it, especially considering that unless you studied history as a born brit, your unlikely to know the answers to some of them. I know my other answers are just generic, but then thats really my point, i dont think that you should be stopped from being a british citizen on the basis of history, if your a decent human being, i dont think you should be stopped from becoming a nationalised brit, if you want to be one. 

In response to becoming a British citizen. Really if you know your laws, rights and responsibilities and of course the language.

I came across this on Facebook earlier

does anyone else agree that with migrant people in Britain working or not that if they break the law they should be sent back to their country. Or like a 3 strikes and your out kinda thing

Nah you didn't, you just wrote it now.

• Upvote 2

Why do people find the work Ni**er so bad, when it seems ok to call someone a Jock, Taff, Paddy, Guff, Aussie, Kiwi, Yank? In some cases those terms are used an an actual nickname. Quite ironic that when in Africa there was a very popular music scene where nearly every song had the word Ni**er in it. Rap music type stuff.

Slighty off topic by saying the above. Sorry, it was MM comment about hearing it in Tilly or somewhere that made me think of it.

Racism is not a new thing (do you think there was a lot of PC during the making of the commonwealth) and is not getting worse. As said before on this thread we now have the likes of FB which makes it easy for people to 'stir' things up.

I llike some the comments about the difference is how some local UK people work compared to incomers. Let's use EU as a general term. The amount of times I've in somewhere for a meal, and got served by a local quine who looks like she wants to be somewhere else doing something else and barely hides the fact is unreal. EU folks on the other hand seem far more attentive to their jobs.

I do think it is too easy to take advantage of the system in this country, and not only by EU people as we seem to have our fair share of dossers and system (ab)users as well.

Fook I remember years ago going to see a friend. He wasn't but his wife said he was 'pickin buckies' doon the shore. So off I went and sure enough there he was.He had a few different pails of buckies sorted into differnet sizes. I went with him to the yard that he sold them to and waited outside. 10mins later he comes out in a very grumpy mood. He told me that the yard only offered him very little money (lets say 1.50 per kilo instead of the 1.99 he got the week before) because the buckies were smaller than previous batches. He said 'fook that...he's taking the piss, I'm nae picking buckies for that' The interesting thing was is that he hadn't worked for months, was on dole money and getting housing paid....who was taking the piss you might ask lol.

• Downvote 1

I probably know more Chinese history than the average Chinese, can't say i feel particularly Chinese.

My beef with the history questions is that they are laughably specific, even getting into the names of individual Roman forts. I studied Roman Britain formally, can give you the gist of it and its lasting importance, and i wouldn't be able to give a timeline of specific invasions. Whoever came up with these questions seems to have studied history in a grammar school at ruler-point decades ago.

On the other hand some are about everyday laws and some are clearly aimed at stamping out johnny foreigners attitudes to topics like arranged marriage, though just because someone knows which answer is expected to "It is illegal to rape your wife true or false HINT HINT?" doesn't mean he agrees with it.

Call me whatever, but I find it incredibly difficult to get too worked-up by these fuckheads these days. I pity them deeply. These bigots are deeply unsatisfied with their own miserable lives and lack the brain power and character required to improve their own situation, so instead of getting off their bone idle arses and tackling their own problems, they find a scapegoat. In this case, Polish immigrants are the most convenient target, so that's who they go for. Even if the bigots had their way and the Polish immigrants left Aberdeen, they still wouldn't be able to get a job, because they're unemployable responsibility-dodgers, and they'd find a new scapegoat.

Unfortunately these cretins will continue to plague our society for decades to come, barring a significant shift in the collective conscience of their shithead hive mind. The only solution is to trap them all in a massive pot and melt them down into something more productive than their human form, like chocolate fireguards.

• Upvote 6

Why do people find the work Ni**er so bad, when it seems ok to call someone a Jock, Taff, Paddy, Guff, Aussie, Kiwi, Yank? In some cases those terms are used an an actual nickname. Quite ironic that when in Africa there was a very popular music scene where nearly every song had the word Ni**er in it. Rap music type stuff.

Because Nigger is a particularly nasty, demeaning word historically used by white men who owned black people as property.

• Upvote 3

Because Nigger is a particularly nasty, demeaning word historically used by white men who owned black people as property.

weirdly enough I've been called a nigger by a Indian guy in my work.

Call me whatever, but I find it incredibly difficult to get too worked-up by these fuckheads these days. I pity them deeply. These bigots are deeply unsatisfied with their own miserable lives and lack the brain power and character required to improve their own situation, so instead of getting off their bone idle arses and tackling their own problems, they find a scapegoat. In this case, Polish immigrants are the most convenient target, so that's who they go for. Even if the bigots had their way and the Polish immigrants left Aberdeen, they still wouldn't be able to get a job, because they're unemployable responsibility-dodgers, and they'd find a new scapegoat.

Unfortunately these cretins will continue to plague our society for decades to come, barring a significant shift in the collective conscience of their shithead hive mind. The only solution is to trap them all in a massive pot and melt them down into something more productive than their human form, like chocolate fireguards.

That pretty much sums it up perfectly. Making a thread on a forum about them is pretty much giving them another platform to spread their rubbish, when they should just be ignored, not unless it becomes a serious situation, which it very rarely does. Anyone who thinks as they do are a waste of life and couldnt get a job no matter what anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Sup Moon Moon, the subway thing you're a tad but wrong about. It's the Muslims that are offended that subway don't sell Halal meet. Halal meet is pretty much slice a cows throat and wait until it dies a slow and horrible death. So they are yet again trying to take over the UK (they have even admitted that they want to on a BBC three programme in camera!). It's funny because you don't see the Jews taking offence!

If you think in racist? I'm not. I believe that religion is what's making this world f***** up and the Muslims don't really help themselves at times, not that they are all tied under the same brush. It's those (what do you call them?) extreme religious people. Where as if you aren't Muslim yourself, they wish you a slow trip to the burning gates to hell... Which I don't really give a s*** about because I'm not religious and don't see the point of setting morals based on what's on a bedtime story book. Not that I hate religion, I used to think of religion at school as being a community of people who seek moral guidance and sets themselves a good and happy life. Now, it's all about arrogance and using 'god' as an excuse to start crimes and give off a 'reasonable excuse' to murder a British soldier in the streets and attempt to be-head him in front if the viewing public!

• Downvote 13

Wow! there are so many points of discussion being brought up in this thread that I've never heard before! So enlightening! world-view changing stuff!

Let's take a stab at LGBT issues shall we?

• Upvote 8

I'm shaking my head right now.

:moody:

[EDIT:  For the avoidance of doubt.  I'm not shaking my head at ca_gere]

Edited by Gladstone