aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Moon Moon

Racism in Aberdeen

Not sure if this thread will be allowed but Ahwell.

Recently I've came across a lot of racism towards ethnic groups via Facebook. Tonight I've witnessed an absolute abominable amount of it on one post. When scrolling through My wall came across a photo on "the only way is Torry, Aberdeen" where there was a photo of graffiti on a bus stop saying "Polish go home" really I was surprised at the comments on it agreeing with it completely. I'm completely against this. I believe the polish in our society are hardworking folk and try their best. In my English class alone the entire polish minority got the highest marks in English alone (obviously beat me)

Another example is this whole sub way shambles. So what if they removed bacon from 200 of their stores? It's better for our health.

People are way out of line in what they think and how they project their feelings. What are your thoughts and feelings on the subjects?

I think you're right - racism is bad.

no piss taking. I posted this to see where it's all coming from, I mean like 20 years ago there wasn't as much migrant workers but there was next to no racism.

no piss taking. I posted this to see where it's all coming from, I mean like 20 years ago there wasn't as much migrant workers but there was next to no racism.

You weren't alive 20 years ago. Do you regret missing out on that glorious racism free time?

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Upvote 2

Good subject although a very delicate one. Firstly racism can be seen as different thing and levels none of which are good, but some certainly worse than others.

I think many people in Aberdeen have never been on the recieving end of racism so therefore find it hard to understand what it's like. I have worked abroad for more years than you have lived MM and in that time I have been on the receiving end of racism on many occasions. Fook, I was once blamed for the slave trade for crying out loud. To work in these countries I have had to prove I can bring 'something to the table' IE a skill which the country I worked in could not supply at that time. I had to pay quite a sizable part of my income (20% on my income in one case) to some of those countries as tax. Of course I would not benefit from those contributions to the country I was working in. Now that is not racism as I'm sure you know. However, paying more than locals for basic stuff, and being made to stand at the end of queues and being ignored while waiting in those queues for stuff is. been called a white monkey etc etc. I even got pulled up in front my big bosses after one african co-worker called me a racist because I gave him a reprimand for him arriving late on the job, even though he just had to walk the distance fo one level on an offshore rig....all this after I had the same co-worker round to my house in Aberdeenshire for dinner before I drove him and two others around the north east sightseeing and buying them drinks in the pub afterwards. That does not give me the right to be a racist here in Scotland, therefore I like to think that I'm not. However there is a very very small part of me understands why (the minority) of people in Scotland can be....however sad and wrong as it may be.

The problem could get worse if the govt and the people are not careful. The govt because they need to realise that a growing number of people in the UK are beginning to worry about immirgration levels of which a % are unskilled coming in to the UK and are seen as being able to claim from the govt, but having made next to no contributions to the system. There are political parties out there that scare monger a lot, and some folks will be taken in by that and vote for them. Hence why the main parties need to show that they can see a possible situation arising and make plans to address it.

Lastly, I can tell you that there was racism in Scotland 20 years ago.....but no real internet for bampots to sprout off racist comments on.

I agree with Brian and was subject to the same kind racism myself when I worked in Africa. In my experience - and I have a fair bit of it - Scotland is one of the least racist countries in the world - just look at Glasgow where the Asian and Chinese communities have integrated extremely well into the local communities for many, many years. Sure, there are incidents, but I believe that colour or creed isn't always the issue with the bampot protagonists - they'd have a go at you for walking on the wrong side of the road if the notion took them to start trouble.

As for the FB examples that Moon Moon posted, can these mouth-breating, bottom feeders honestly expect to get any kind of work in the UK when they don't even have the slighest grasp of their own native language?

I recently bought a car and prior to seeing it, had an email exchange with the seller. His emails were articulate, well punctuated and the grammar was flawless (he wouldn't fit in on this site ;)  ). When I turned up at his house, I was surprised to discover that he was Polish. His spoken English was also excellent and I was further surpsied to learn that he'd only been in the UK for 18 months, When I complimented him on his English, he replied, "Well, I'm trying to make a life here and the least I can do is learn the language"

That's the difference, hard-working migrants will make the effort, whilst our local dregs think it should all be handed to them - "coz we wiz here first".

Cunts.

• Upvote 1

The people who comment on 'polish' (which in most cases means any person from any part of the eastern europe) stealing 'our' jobs are usually people who dont actually want these jobs in the first place. The psychology is that in blaming eastern europeans for taking the jobs it gives them a beautiful excuse for being lazy bastards and doing jack shit.. Classic stuff.. Employers take full advantage tho, creating an atmosphere that stinks of blackmail at times. Using the excuse of being able to take harder working eastern europeans in on slimer wages if locals act the fool or dont work hard.. I believe you get lazy people in every country and also hard workers in every country. Racism is grim and always has been. The hope is eventually the younger generation will naturally become so diverse and open minded through experiences they gain themselves in our new and more diverse society that raciscm will at least be ever so slightly eradicated

Well I have a few different angles on this subject. Firstly my wife is ukrainian and boy did we have trouble with this country. In total we have spent thousands on visas, she had to pass an English tests before getting permission to stay here with me and seriously we have been through hell. We met working on cruise ships but as Ukraine is not EU it was tough. Here is my problem. I am British born and raised, for me to get my wife to join me here we have spent stupid amounts of money as she is from outside EU yet......If an EU person, eastern European, French etc wanted my wife to come live with them in the UK it be free. Where is the justice being British we get punished. Again my wife could not claim a penny from government if she tried yet I have paid taxes all my working life and I have never taken anything back. My wife has sent up her own business and works her arse off so we have money that we put back in. There are a number of foreign people who work hard but also there are a few who milk the system as much as they can. Why not have a fair playing field. Why not integrate them into the community better and not segregate people. My wife after passing both her English and life in UK test knows more about our country than most of us do but why can't that be the same as everyone coming here. Surely there will need to be a time where it is skilled workers coming in, same as any of us going to America or Australia. But as mentioned in one Facebook comment. Sometimes we find it tough living in Aberdeen both working normal jobs, not getting any oil money, yet if we try for a council house or some sort of support we get nothing. Other people can get whatever they want for doing half the work. Just find the system sometimes unfair. The money we have had to spend to stay here could have gone towards other things. Rant over.

Has any Uk born person actually ever read the books you have to read to become a british national citizen? There is very little chance i could pass that test, the stuff you have to know is crazy, i'd bet only a few actual brits would pass it. 

The people who comment on 'polish' (which in most cases means any person from any part of the eastern europe) stealing 'our' jobs are usually people who dont actually want these jobs in the first place. The psychology is that in blaming eastern europeans for taking the jobs it gives them a beautiful excuse for being lazy bastards and doing jack shit.. Classic stuff.. Employers take full advantage tho, creating an atmosphere that stinks of blackmail at times. Using the excuse of being able to take harder working eastern europeans in on slimer wages if locals act the fool or dont work hard.. I believe you get lazy people in every country and also hard workers in every country. Racism is grim and always has been. The hope is eventually the younger generation will naturally become so diverse and open minded through experiences they gain themselves in our new and more diverse society that raciscm will at least be ever so slightly eradicated

I've really had enough of people saying they steal jobs, they work in some of the shitest jobs possible and of they do have a good job they have worked harder than most to get it, I've been around many care homes and one in particular rose well house has many ethnic minorities. They all spoke fluent English and actually cared about their jobs in comparison to others which I won't name where British staff just sat on their phones all day.

It's sad that there will always be racism and it's getting worse. People are mostly now talking about Torry being "mini Poland" I understand there is a large presence of polish of there and unmistakably a fair amount of crime and the polish are being blamed which I find unfair.

Here's some examples if tonight;

48F20057-312F-44D2-922C-9AB33AE2F8A2_zps

That's my favourite one, and this guy has the cheek to claim that they can't speak English, I bet they can speak and type far better English than him. My experience with immigrants has always been that they generally put In a little bit more or a lot ,more work than native speaker and often for less reward, as for that persons friend who didn't get the job, if you're sitting there counting the 14 foreigners in front of you and paying attention to them rather than thinking over how you sell yourself you've surely got no-one else to blame but yourself.

That's my favourite one, and this guy has the cheek to claim that they can't speak English, I bet they can speak and type far better English than him. My experience with immigrants has always been that they generally put In a little bit more or a lot ,more work than native speaker and often for less reward, as for that persons friend who didn't get the job, if you're sitting there counting the 14 foreigners in front of you and paying attention to them rather than thinking over how you sell yourself you've surely got no-one else to blame but yourself.

I beat you to the joke

139DAFFD-676C-4553-B484-06D96A1D3748_zps

Edited by Moon Moon

Racism is not really getting worse, your just more aware of what happens on the internet now and social media gives idiots a platform to shout from, where almost no one can stop them. Plus the Sun are running a lot of UKIP stories which tends to bring it more into focus. 

Racism is not really getting worse, your just more aware of what happens on the internet now and social media gives idiots a platform to shout from, where almost no one can stop them. Plus the Sun are running a lot of UKIP stories which tends to bring it more into focus.

it's not just social media that's projecting these twats, you see it all the time in public.

Has any Uk born person actually ever read the books you have to read to become a british national citizen? There is very little chance i could pass that test, the stuff you have to know is crazy, i'd bet only a few actual brits would pass it.

yes that's what I mean. My wife had no choice but to pass this. But EU don't have too. I would never pass it. Only time EU members have to pass it is when they want to become residents after 5 years. I've looked at the book and ain't got a clue. Mrs has lived here 3 years and knows more about our history than most of us will ever know.

it's not just social media that's projecting these twats, you see it all the time in public.

Where all the time in public? People are not roaming the street berating the Polish, or anything like that. Your more aware of it now as you have a lot of moronic FB friends who you maybe were not aware that they thought that way, they in turn have a few friends who think the same and before long the picture looks worse than it is. Ontop of that, The Sun runs with any small story it can to try and create a bigger divide between immigrants and UK nationals which again brings these people out of the woodwork. 

yes that's what I mean. My wife had no choice but to pass this. But EU don't have too. I would never pass it. Only time EU members have to pass it is when they want to become residents after 5 years. I've looked at the book and ain't got a clue. Mrs has lived here 3 years and knows more about our history than most of us will ever know.

Aye those tests are insane, we have a south african woman at work who gave me a copy of the book she had to work through, i honestly could not answer half the things these people have to learn, and most of it is completely and utterly pointless in the grander scheme of things.

I think alot of people seem less hesitant to voice their racist opinions in recent times, so it could be perceived that it is getting worse if more small minded bellends are now showing themselves as seemingly proud racists.

I was down the beach the other weekend, and there seems to be Anti-Polish graffiti almost anywhere you look along the beach front. It's pretty sad, and I can't remember seeing anything like that in Aberdeen before. 

Where all the time in public? People are not roaming the street berating the Polish, or anything like that. Your more aware of it now as you have a lot of moronic FB friends who you maybe were not aware that they thought that way, they in turn have a few friends who think the same and before long the picture looks worse than it is. Ontop of that, The Sun runs with any small story it can to try and create a bigger divide between immigrants and UK nationals which again brings these people out of the woodwork.

school mostly, but when walking about in Mastrick also words like "black c*nt" or "nig**r" if you know what I mean.

Like in all walks of life systems and rules and regulations regarding asylum seeking /immigration can be abused. I agree with countries like australia and their methods. No excuse for racism in any shape or form in my opinion though but we will always have it

Just took an online sample version of that test, failed it by a point (got 70%). Back to Poland I go!

Questions on the legal age for betting and buying tobacco I think are pretty relevant. The names of forts on Hadrian's Wall and hills in Dorset, and the precise date of the Battle of Bosworth, not so much...