aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Joey Barton really needs to stop all public activities. 100 caps for Scotland? Get a grip. 

Realistically, he'd have gotten in the squad a few years ago. Even at his 'peak' I doubt he'd get much of a look-in now. He'd get nowhere near the current Wales squad. 

Joey Barton really needs to stop all public activities. 100 caps for Scotland? Get a grip. 

Realistically, he'd have gotten in the squad a few years ago. Even at his 'peak' I doubt he'd get much of a look-in now. He'd get nowhere near the current Wales squad. 

I think he'd have got a good few caps for us don't think he'd have got near 100.  He's just a better version of Scott Brown, for 5/6 years Barton was a really good player, total cunt of a human being but still good at football.

There's only one Scottish player in history to get more than 100 caps. So Joey Barton believes he is as good as, if not better than 3 time European Cup winner, Kenny Dalglish. 

There's an enormous amount of Scottish midfielders past and present, who haven't even got to 70 caps, who are infinitely better than Joey Barton.

He's also the kind of player who has a tendency to disrupt the harmony in a dressing room, often why certain very good players don't get picked for their country. Samir Nasri, for example. No manager would want to risk picking Joey Barton, because he is poison. He'd be lucky to get 20 caps for Northern Ireland

All time home nations + Rep of Ireland XI? (well probably not all time, more like 'modern era' because do I really know how good Bobby Charlton was?)

I'd honestly go for Andy Goram in goal. Don't think Seaman was a better goalie, Hart too early to call. On pure ability rather than sustained form I'd go for Craig Gordon. He was one of the best goalkeepers in the world on his day.

Tony Adams, Sol Campbell two centre backs. Sol just above Colin Hendrie.

Ashley Cole on one side, No idea for the other.

Bale, Scholes, Keane midfield. Gazza played better for England than Scholes and was undoubtedly a genius player but all-round Scholes is a better footballer.

Linaker, Keane, Rooney up front probably. I'd be tempted to throw in David Healy for his stats but in reality he'd be mince. Shearer was a better player than Keane but hard to make an argument for leaving him out.

goalkeeper I'm going to go for Southall. 96 caps for Wales and was immense for Everton from mid 80's to early 90's.

Defence I am struggling for a RB but I'll go for McKimmie for his part in the Dons team of the 80's and his goal against Argentina in 91! LB Baines. Still in his early international days but a great attacking full back who can defend Very well. CB tempted to go for MacLeish and Miller based on the great partnership they had for both the Dons and Scotland.

Midfield 3 of Bale who is a very special player. Roy Keane for his authority and discipline and Beckham for his football brain and ability with the ball at feet.

Forwards. Rooney in the hole with a free role and then Linekar and Rush banging the goals in for fun.

All time home nations + Rep of Ireland XI? (well probably not all time, more like 'modern era' because do I really know how good Bobby Charlton was?)

I'd honestly go for Andy Goram in goal. Don't think Seaman was a better goalie, Hart too early to call. On pure ability rather than sustained form I'd go for Craig Gordon. He was one of the best goalkeepers in the world on his day.

Tony Adams, Sol Campbell two centre backs. Sol just above Colin Hendrie.

Ashley Cole on one side, No idea for the other.

Bale, Scholes, Keane midfield. Gazza played better for England than Scholes and was undoubtedly a genius player but all-round Scholes is a better footballer.

Linaker, Keane, Rooney up front probably. I'd be tempted to throw in David Healy for his stats but in reality he'd be mince. Shearer was a better player than Keane but hard to make an argument for leaving him out.

Your front line is three #9s. I know this isn't a tactical thing, but I think you'd need 2 wide forwards at either side of a centre forward. My centre forward would definitely not be Robbie Keane. Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Wayne Rooney are all on a different planet to him. Ian Rush too, I'd not thought of him.

Also, Shilton trumps Goram. Not even close. And Denis Irwin over Ashley Cole. Irwin was severely underrated. Unbeatable dead ball delivery. Great defender who was actually good at defending.

I can't think of a right back. So I might just have to do what every England manager does when they can't think of a right back, and just go with Glen Johnson...

Shilton

RB  Adams  Campbell  Irwin

Keane

Scholes  Gazza

-----Bale ----------------------- Beardlsey

Lineker

Sorry Scotland.

• Upvote 1

I question Beardsley's inclusion, not only from a purely England-form perspective but an overall player perspective. If it was based on the best players then he'd definitely be there, but i'm thinking more in terms of team.

I completely overlooked ROI 94 era. Paul Mcgrath would get a peak-in. Irwin is also a good shout. Although from my memory he was much better for Man Utd with Steve Bruce and co as team mates so not sure how good an individual player he was.

I'm aware Shilton was mega but I'm a bit too young to say that with any authority.

Best players XI would include Gazza, Beardsley, Scholes, Bale, Rooney, Terry (from a technical perspective the man is a footballing heavyweight), Rio, Ian Rush, Adams, Lambert (maybe)

Would be tempted to put Mccoist on the bench but he's dead to me.

I just remembered about Giggs too which got me thinking about that man Utd midfield of the late 90's so here is an updated one from me. 3-4-3

Southall

Campbell

Adams

Staunton (sweeper)

Beckham

Scholes

Keane (DM)

Giggs

Bale

Linekar/ Rush ( just can't decide)

Rooney

• Upvote 1

I question Beardsley's inclusion, not only from a purely England-form perspective but an overall player perspective. If it was based on the best players then he'd definitely be there, but i'm thinking more in terms of team.

I completely overlooked ROI 94 era. Paul Mcgrath would get a peak-in. Irwin is also a good shout. Although from my memory he was much better for Man Utd with Steve Bruce and co as team mates so not sure how good an individual player he was.

I'm aware Shilton was mega but I'm a bit too young to say that with any authority.

Best players XI would include Gazza, Beardsley, Scholes, Bale, Rooney, Terry (from a technical perspective the man is a footballing heavyweight), Rio, Ian Rush, Adams, Lambert (maybe)

Would be tempted to put Mccoist on the bench but he's dead to me.

Good point about Beardsley. I think he's in the same category as Gazza. Capable of something special and unfathomably gifted, but not hugely consistent. Probably can't have a great team with both of them in there.

When talking about great centre backs, I always forget about McGrath. Which I shouldn't, because he was huge.

Irwin was definitely a great player, and not just a cog in a great team. Definitely more important to that mid 90's United side than anyone in that back four, and there were no slouches in that back four (Parker, Bruce, Pallister, then Neville later). Could play on both sides as well. "Pound for pound my greatest ever signing" Fergie described him as. Better than Cole IMO.

I think I might even put Rio in for one of the two CBs. Suffered a rapid decline, and is a total boob of a man, but his peak years were truly world class. Arguably the best in the world. Were Adams or Campbell ever considered amongst the best in the world?

Edited by Soda van Jerk

The Adams-led backline was definitely considered world's best or there abouts at the time. Whether Tony Adams as a player was ever in contention for best CB at the time I'm not so sure. Then again, his peak was during a particularly great time for the position (Baresi, Maldini, Blanc, Koeman, etc).

It's easy to forget just how good Rio was, what with his whole merk schtick and terrible form these days. He was a monster in his heyday.

Southall?! I could list 5 goalies i'd have before him.

Southall was a beast. Just unfortunate he was Welsh and played at his peak when English clubs were banned from European competitions. 1 Cup winners cup medal. 2 League championships and 2 FA cups with Everton too. I'm sticking by him!

• Upvote 1

If you're going for a flat back four there seems to be trouble picking a right back.

Has to be Neville.  He played at a really high level for well over a decade and in his mid to late career became an amazing crosser of the ball.  Loved a dirty tackle too.

GNev Adams Sol Cole.  That's a world class back line.  

• Upvote 1

I'm going to throw this in - all time world XI that you have seen play live (by live I mean in-the-same-stadium-as, not just on telly, you plastic).

This is mine (I think, subject to change). Midfield is a bit clustered but TOTAL DOMINATION will happen in there, I'm sure. Anyway, fuck balance when you're picking the best players you've seen play. I'd have a strong bench, too.

DzT1dVP.png

• Upvote 1