aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

A great set of results for us against Spurs and City, but I fear one of my biggest Pardew gripes will re-emerge this weekend.

The takeaway from these games should be that the likes of Sammy Ameobi, Aarons, Perez, Haidara and Abeid, though raw, are utterly fearless, and are at the age where they need to be playing regular football. We need to learn from the lessons of Haris Vuckic, Adam Campbell, etc., who have rotted away in our reserves following endless short-term loan deals. Gael Bigirimana, for example, has looked like a boss almost every time he's played, but he's practically been exiled at St. James' Park.

There is no reason to exclude Aarons & co. in favour of completely listless players like Colback, Gouffran, Obertan and Dummett. Pardew, like Hughton is a very cautious man, but Hughton was a quick-learner who'd throw chances to young players when they'd earned them. I'd love to see these kids take a more prominent role, particularly Aarons and Abeid (who was absolutely colossal last night).

I hope he's learned something over the past couple of weeks. It'll take a lot more than a couple of good results to reignite my lost passion, but watching these young lads play with reckless abandon is pretty thrilling. You obviously don't want to throw a bunch of young heads in there alone, but we definitely need to do more to get them in the mix. What is the point of Colback and Gouffran at this point? Seriously.

• Upvote 1

There must be evidence of sorts that the public aren't party to.

I see Celtic have appealed, which is also strange. They can't reduce his ban - he either did it or he didn't, reducing the ban will just make it look like the SFA are saying it was racism, but not that bad racism.

It is a strange one, if there was clear evidence Celtic would probably just ditch him. He's just on loan and he's a bit shite really. On the other hand I can't imagine the SFA just taking an Aberdeen player's word over one from Celtic.

It all depends on how the SFA look at these things, but I would have thought they'd take an element of doubt as enough reason not to charge. So with the Lennon abuse case, they said that the man who attacked him could have shouted many things due to the noise of the match acting as interference. The fact that the charge is upheld and a band put in place means that Tonev is very likely to have said some bad things. Bad PR from Celtic I think, unless they definitely know he's innocent. Quietly drop him back off to Aston Villa in my opinion.

He's been found guilty by probability. Hardly cast iron evidence that it happened. 

Its like me going to the Police to claim you called my friend a black cunt, and then you getting done for it, when its completely baseless. Who knows what Logan may or may not have heard, he may have thought he heard a racial slur, but he could be wrong. I cant believe we're going to punish people without proper evidence to back it up now a days. At the very least one witness to back it up would be good. 

Another cracking result for us today. I'm glad that Pardew showed some balls and kept faith in Mehdi Abeid, who was the best player on the park by some distance and, for the second time in a week, completely owned one of the best midfields in England. I can understand why he started Cisse, but he realised after 45 minutes that it wasn't working, and bringing Perez on proved decisive. Horrible mistake from Moreno, but that's what you need in flat, slow-paced games like that. 

It'll take a lot more work to undo two years of utterly shite football, but Pardew has got a lot right over the past couple of weeks. Credit to him for that. Perhaps the "Sack Pardew" campaign has forced him to have a good long look at his managerial style and made him realise that something had to change?

• Upvote 1

The BT Sport punditry kept reiterating "Pardew: Back from the dead". How does that sit with you? 

Two very solid back to back performances anyway, against very good sides. Especially a virtually 2nd string Newcastle side giving a very strong Manchester City a tonking on their own patch. A game in which even Obertan looked pretty handy. Badass.

Long live The King.

The BT Sport punditry kept reiterating "Pardew: Back from the dead". How does that sit with you? 

Not well. Pardew is incredibly streaky, and it's pretty weird that the commentators failed to note that. He's often gone on solid runs of about 3-5 games, such as this one, followed by months and months of awful badness. Just when it looks as though he's about to get the chop, he gets a couple of results. It's totally daft to say that he's turned it around, because three good results doesn't erase two years of pure boke, but he does deserve a bit of credit for the past few weeks.

His cautiousness causes him a lot of problems. At this point, it's pretty clear that he understands we are at our most dangerous when the likes of Aarons, Cabella, Sammy (though he was poor today) and Perez are on the pitch, but he's just far too reticent to take a risk and deploy them. John Carver came out a few months ago and admitted that our primary focus is "stopping the opposition": our training is exclusively defence-based 4 days out of 5, then, on the last day, we work on attacking. I think this is why Pardew struggles with unorthodox attackers like Cabella and Ben Arfa: he spends 80% of his time trying to instill defensive qualities into them, instead of letting them focus on what they're really good at.

He's just too conservative. This week has shown what the time can do when he grows a set, abandons his "two defensive wingers" approach, and plays exciting, imaginative players who play without shackles. It's unfortunately, but he will inevitably shit himself and go back to 4-5-1, Tiote, Gouffran, two defensive wingers and an isolated centre forward. 

• Upvote 2