aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Out of curiousity, I looked their average attendances up:-

i5y7ps.png

Pretty phenomenal attendances for tiers 2 & 3. There's a huge jump in 2004, which is when they moved to the Etihad, and since then they've constantly been very close to hitting the stadium's capacity of 47,405, especially with the glory fans coming-in over the past few years. Not sure if these figures include community tickets that have been dished-out, but the person hasn't attended?

37k for the Roma game is total pants though. Roma are one of the most exciting teams in the world. I'd give a testicle to see Totti play live. Shame on you, City fans.

City's allocations are definitely selling out almost every week. I work with a City fan, and he genuinely struggles to get tickets. He can only really get a home ticket for a televised game when they're up against relegation fodder, but any other game against any semi-challenging opposition, and it's no chance. But you see the game on telly and the place is 3/4 full with zero atmosphere. A lot of clubs suffer from this when they achieve success. Tickets are gobbled up by people who don't really care too much. I don't really understand the logic behind paying a premium for a ticket to a top flight football match, and not going.

Attendance figures are very misleading in that respect, because it's purely on tickets sold, and not bodies through the gate. City averaged 47,000+ in the league last season, but I doubt it's really anywhere close to that figure actually in the ground. United "attendances" are always above 74,500, but that's rarely actually happening unless it's Liverpool/City/Arsenal/Chelsea or a big CL clash. It's probably around really 70,000 for a standard Premier League game.

The allocations for commercial tickets are clearly too high at City, and the fans who genuinely want to go often don't get the chance - in general anyway. There was plenty available for the Roma game, and at a decent price, but the PL seems to be a different matter. City's tickets are amongst the most affordable in the league (they have great package deals as well, usually offering Kids for a Quid with every adult ticket). I believe they have the cheapest season tickets in the PL, and I believe other clubs (the top clubs especially) should follow suit. If the waitingh list stuff is true, then the 'real' fans are being pushed aside a bit by large commercial allocations. This was a problem at United some years ago. Huge waiting lists, yet empty seats dotted around, and zero atmosphere because there was just too many rich men in suits and tourists, and not enoughactual supporters. I know a guy who is a teacher at a high school on the outskirts of Manchester, in what is predominantly a Red side of town (as most of the north-east of Greater Manchester is) and they get heaps of free City tickets which don't shift. I definitely approve of of free tickets being offered to young people, but it seems a bit redundant to give them to kids who are mostly United fans. Those tickets will just get binned, and genuine fans miss out.

Atkinson had a bit of a howler. It was a fiery game, but he never really asserted control. Cahill, Koscielny and Welbeck all could/should have been sent off. Oscar got away with numerous fouls as well.

I don't know how Ozil manages to play a full 90 minutes when he's an anonymous as he was today. Cazorla was playing well, so it was a shame he went off. Ox should have come on for Ozil.

Oh well. I kinda want Chelsea to run away with it anyway, as I can't see Arsenal or United having enough about them to come close to winning it, and Chelsea running away with it keeps it away from City at least.

Yeah Ozil wide just doesn't work for Arsenal. It can be ok for Germany as they are so strong through the middle of defence/mid that it makes up for him going missing other than attacking.

Thought first half it wad really even and we could also have had a pen. Chelsea much better second half as expected. Their squad is so much stronger overall. Will be really annoyed if we don't get a DM in Jan.

We've had a lot of tough games in our opening at least so the points total isn't too worrying yet.

Speaking of which Man Utd are through their initial easy schedule but they seem to be getting it together offensively at least. Will be good to see them play more of the upper tier teams.

United look strong going forward. Falcao could have had two or three todays. Snatched at a few shots, but his positioning in the box is superb. Di Maria is untouchable though. He's carrying everything. I think RVP needs to be dropped when Rooney is back. He looks sluggish. Go with Rooney and Falcao ahead of Mata.

They've been good defensively in the last two games too. Especially today. The pundits were hammering on about Lukaku totally rinsing McNair before the game, but McNair had him sussed. He's looked really good. Hopefully it's another option to keep Jonny Evans far away from the first team.

Daley Blind has been great too. Like Arsenal, United have needed a proper DM since Owen Hargreaves' career started to dwindle. He's been a huge presence. I can't see Carrick getting back into the side when he's fit again if Blind keeps playing as well as he has done.

United look strong going forward. Falcao could have had two or three todays. Snatched at a few shots, but his positioning in the box is superb. Di Maria is untouchable though. He's carrying everything. I think RVP needs to be dropped when Rooney is back. He looks sluggish. Go with Rooney and Falcao ahead of Mata.

They've been good defensively in the last two games too. Especially today. The pundits were hammering on about Lukaku totally rinsing McNair before the game, but McNair had him sussed. He's looked really good. Hopefully it's another option to keep Jonny Evans far away from the first team.

Daley Blind has been great too. Like Arsenal, United have needed a proper DM since Owen Hargreaves' career started to dwindle. He's been a huge presence. I can't see Carrick getting back into the side when he's fit again if Blind keeps playing as well as he has done.

Totally agree with the Daley Blind comment, he definitely reminds me of Hargreaves playing in his prime at Munich before the injuries.

I think they could have won a lot more convincingly if Fabregas, Shurrle and Oscar had had better games. Hazard was great and Costa did a lot well but was given much less to work with than usual. 

Did anyone know about this? http://www.freightbooks.co.uk/exposed-at-the-back-by-arild-stavrum.html

I remember him writing newspaper articles sometimes but had no idea he'd become a novelist.

• Upvote 1

I think they could have won a lot more convincingly if Fabregas, Shurrle and Oscar had had better games. Hazard was great and Costa did a lot well but was given much less to work with than usual. 

Did anyone know about this? http://www.freightbooks.co.uk/exposed-at-the-back-by-arild-stavrum.html

I remember him writing newspaper articles sometimes but had no idea he'd become a novelist.

It's not really fair to say teams could have done better if x player played better IMO.  Arsenal could have won the game if Ozil had showed up and the defenders hadn't lost the plot for both goals.

That book actually sounds like a good trashy holiday read from the blurb on that site!

"If Oscar had had a better game'?!?!... were we watching the same match? I thought he was absolutely magnificent. His best defensive display yet. Quite rightly left to a standing ovation. He was clearly given strict defensive instruction and carried out his duties with aplomb.