aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Chris -- we'll have to agree to disagree on this, but, as somebody who's also followed Aberdeen for 20 years plus, I don't think you'll have gone through anything us utterly demoralising as this.

Well let's not get into a whose team has done the most damage to our mental health argument but following Aberdeen has been a singularly depressing experience for almost my entire adult life.

What like finishing bottom and just not being relegated because of a stadium issue? Finishing out with the top 6 for about 5 years despite being able to spend more than any of the teams above us bar the old firm? Watching our good young players leave for next to nothing because the club had next to no ambition? Playing the worst brand of football possible, whilst going out of the cups every season to lower league teams? 

No we havent had any of that happen to our club...

I'm not going to go further into that debate, because we won't find any common ground, but as somebody who has also followed Aberdeen during this time period I strongly disagree that the above scenarios are as life-sapping as the current situation at Sports Direct Adspace FC. Everything you've said, Milner, has also happened to Newcastle, and much worse. Except we weren't spared relegation -- we were actually relegated.

Edited by Murrr

Mark Reynolds in the forthcoming Scotland squad. Stevie May and Ryan Gauld also...

Good news for Mark as it looks like he has finally secured a regular squad place. Just need for Greer on Hanley to GTF so he can get a run out! 

EDIT: full squad

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Celtic), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Allan McGregor (Hull City)

Defenders: Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Craig Forsyth (Derby County), Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers). Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Mark Reynolds (Aberdeen), Andrew Robertson (Hull City), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders: Ikechi Anya (Watford), Barry Bannan (Crystal Palace), Scott Brown (Celtic), Craig Bryson (Derby County), Chris Burke (Nottingham Forest), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Ryan Gauld (Sporting Lisbon), Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic), James McArthur (Crystal Palace), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Forwards: Steven Fletcher (Sunderland), Steven May (Sheffield Wednesday), Chris Martin (Derby County), Steven Naismith (Everton)

Edited by KSJ81

Murr, surely its a matter of how passionate you feel towards each team?  Aberdeen have a huge place in my heart and Blackburn Rovers have been my team in England since I was about 5, but I don't feel nearly as much for the latter.  They've been through an unarguably worse time than Newcastle in the last few years, but I still felt far worse in the Skovdahl and McGhee eras than I did about Blackburn's systematic destruction in the last 3-4 seasons. 

I feel bad for The Toon all the same.  Even though I don't particularly like them, they are a big club and ought to be competing for Champion's League spots. 

You'd have hoped that Ryan Jack wouldn't have been far away from that squaaad had he been fit.

Pleased for Reynolds, though I'm still not convinced he'd cut it at international level. That said, his pace could see him along pretty well in comparison to the likes of Hanley and Greer.

Martin's the best footballer of all of those centre backs tbf. Fingers crossed Strachan opts for Robertson ahead of Whittaker.

The year we finished 4th behind Livingston was one of my favourite seasons as a Dons supporter growing up and that was under Skovdahl. 2-0 at Pittordie vs Celtic to claim 9 home victories on the bounce was incredible. Y'know, the Eugene Dadi caterpillar celebration and Darren Mackie tackling Rab Douglas to score, as well as Celtic players getting pelted with snowballs at the corner flag?

• Upvote 1

Thinking about it, that night was probably one of the very best experiences of my life. 

Ebbe brought in a lot of things behind the scenes to try and move the club forward. He wanted all the teams from youth level to first team to play with the same formation and style so that players could move up more easily. Something big teams like Barcelona get loads of credit for nowadays. 

His teams improved every year until his budget was absolutely slashed (rightly for the health of the club). It was impossible not to suffer at that time. 

Scottish football was just mad and fun in general in that period because every club was spending silly money on everything. I'm just happy the dons stopped it in time. 

It really is quite a wonderful story. We've been calling him "The King" for months now.

inexplicably, it looks like the shithead's gonna be with us for a while longer, so yer all gonna have to put up with my moany-faced shite for another couple of months.

Soz. x