aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

I'm going to throw this in - all time world XI that you have seen play live (by live I mean in-the-same-stadium-as, not just on telly, you plastic).

This is mine (I think, subject to change). Midfield is a bit clustered but TOTAL DOMINATION will happen in there, I'm sure. Anyway, fuck balance when you're picking the best players you've seen play. I'd have a strong bench, too.

DzT1dVP.png

If I did this it would just be dominated by players I've seen for barca. Even if some might be more for their performances at other clubs, like Henry and Zlatan.

I also saw Milan and Bayern in 2009 so some of those players would be in with a chance. I'd want to include Maldini obviously but I feel like that might be cheating a little as I arrived late to that game and he went off injured soon after I got in.

Replaced by the mighty Philipe Senderos who scored the first goal.

Edited by Paranoid Android

Mine is basically juve v real in the champs league 04-05 and Jamaica v Croatia France 98. Pretty much seen nothing but Scottish football other than that.

Wait... Fuck, I saw Argentina play Brazil a couple years ago. Totally forgot. Replace Thomas Gravesen with Messi. Naebdy from that Brazil squad gets a look in though.

• Upvote 1

Best "I've seen them play" XI

Ronaldo

Who Cares?  /  Who Cares?  /  Chris Waddle

Meh  /  Zinedine Zidane

Patrice Evra  /  Nemanja Vidic  /  Rio Ferdinand  /  Wes Brown (srs)

Peter Schmeichel

Schmeichel doesn't need an explanation. He was enormous. I've sat behind the goal a few times watching Schmeichel, and the noise that came out of his mouth as he screeched at his defence would make you shit your pants. I've never heard a louder voice watching football, or anywhere else. Monstrous. He was a pretty good goalkeeper too.

The back four was the best collective back four in the Premier League era. Rio, Vidic and Evra need no explanation, but Wes Brown was criminally underrated. If not for constant injury, Wes would have been knighted. I went to a few games at Old Trafford in the 07/08 season. His best ever season, and United's best ever season since 99. He played mostly at right back, and wasn't a very adventurous one either, but you just didn't get past him, nor did the ball. He won everything. It wasn't even his best position, but he wasn't breaking up the Rio/Vidic partnership. Brown was flawless that year, and it won them the two biggest prizes.

Zidane. He strolled through United's midfield in April 2003, when United beat Real Madrid 4-3, but went out on aggregate. I don't think he even broke a sweat, or hit a pace higher than a casual jog. He didn't need to. Zidane.

Chris Waddle. Best footballer of all time whose name is Chris Waddle. Played in 4 major cup finals and lost them all. He has no chin. He couldn't say, nor could he take a 'penalty'. Great crosser though. Had some quality barnets in his time too.

Ronaldo. Scored a hat trick and got a standing ovation at Old Trafford in 2003. Wes Brown played in that game and not even HE could stop Ronaldo. Best game of football I've attended.

When it comes to Man U - Real games my favourite has always been the 3-2 in 2000 with Redondo being wonderful.

The best football I've seen live was probably when Barcelona beat Bayern 4-0 in the 2009 champions league quarter final.

But the best match was Aberdeen beating Celtic 3-2 with Regi Blinker scoring an own goal, Nark Perry scoring from 500 yards and Jim Leighton saving 100 penalties.

• Upvote 1

Some of those seem a bit harsh but I don't have a problem with McNamara's inclusion. Never had a good game or looked committed to the club. Rarely has the term wage thief been more appropriately applied to a player.

Out of that list I think Jerel Ifil is probably the most hard done by. A limited defender I'd say, not a terrible one and certainly not one of the worst 11 of all time if you consider the absolute toss that's worn red in the last 20 years. 

Who was the big striker McInnes signed in his first season (having a mental blank just now)?  He's certainly the least competent footballer I've ever seen play for Aberdeen

Richie Byrne was pretty atrocious. I never rated Josh Magennis either. 

Trying to cast my mind back to some of the disasters of the Skovdahl and Paterson eras. Paterson had some real duds. 

Both were limited footballers but had their place IMO. Byrne was never a left back, but a decent enough SPL centre back. I remember him having his best game against Atletico Madrid away from home, believe it or not.

Magennis is an athlete but scored some important and decent goals. I always remember the cup final, where we had Scott Vernon on the bench and the game was crying out for a bit of pace/strength. As limited as he might be, Magennis could have changed that game more readily than Vernon ever could, despite Vernon obviously being the more 'classy' player.

I was looking through the AFC heritage site at previous squads http://www.afcheritage.org/Team/CurrentSquad/index.cfm?Season=2004-05 and I realised I could make a team of Aberdeen players I really disliked so here goes. I should point out that these players are no necessarily the worst but I never took to them in the Red of my team.

GK: Michael Watt - I hated him for being in goal in the season decider at Ibrox in 91 when we only needed a draw to win the league.

RB: Jackie McNamara - He was woeful for us, and is a Celtic man through and through which has become evident with his team selections against them this season and shipping off United's best 2 players to them when they wer e still in with a shout of a trophy. All for a cut of the transfer fee too! Best thing he did in an Aberdeen shirt was keep running at Hampden when he got subbed

LB: David Robertson -  Jumped ship to the now dead club in the summer of 91 after losing the league to them. I hated him for this

CB: Gary Smith - My abiding memory of him is scoring an own goal in extra time of the 92 league cup final against, yup you guessed it, the dead club 

CB: Zander Diamond- Again his constant flaunting of his love of all things Celtic never sat right with me. Also a lanky streak of pish and an absolute tool of a boy.

MR: Ricky Foster - I feel this selection needs no explanation.

MC: Jamie Winter- He makes my team for no other reason than being a horrible excuse for a footballer. Typical signing of the time, a pre Madonna who was only interested in picking up his pay check and a big mac or 5 

MC: Stephen Hughes - His former employers aside, he infuriated me with his sideways passing, slow movement and his blatant couldn't give a fuck attitude to being an Aberdeen player. Another wage thief.

ML: Jeffery De Visscher - The slowest winger I can recall in my time watching professional football. Also featured in the period where Hearts loved putting 4 goals past us which is always hard to take.

FC: Scott Michie - 1 goal in 25 apperances. Also had the mis fortune of meeting him on more than one occasion and like Diamond a horrible individual. Found his level at Loco's

FC:Sone Aluko - Apart from his goal against FC Bayern I disliked everything about him. Lazy, uninterested and showed his true colours when he left Aberdeen.

There we have it. My all time staring 11 I hate.

• Upvote 1