aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Good result for both Celtic, and as Adam has already pointed out, Aberdeen. And arguably Inverness as well.

I was delighted to see Craig Gordon parry that late free-kick away, I felt for him after his error led to the third Inter goal before half-time. Craig Gordon is a good guy.

Edited by Eupraxia

I'm all for the Balotelli hate (he's done fuck all at Liverpool) but if there's one player on the pitch who i'd want to take a pen it's him. Certainly over Jordi Hendo.

Totally. Though when I first saw it, I thought Henderson was picking the ball up to give to Balotelli and to tell sturridge he wasn't taking it. Sturridge was in a huff from then on. Didn't even celebrate the goal - because he didn't score it, Berbatov style.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

Good on Celtic last night, brilliant night to promote Scottish football, full stadium that was rocking, great game of attacking football from both teams, no one has any right to have a go at Celtic after last night, they did us all proud. Hopefully they do the job over in Italy, although it will be very tough with three away goals against them. 

Totally. Though when I first saw it, I thought Henderson was picking the ball up to give to Balotelli and to tell sturridge he wasn't taking it. Sturridge was in a huff from then on. Didn't even celebrate the goal - because he didn't score it, Berbatov style.

I think Sturridge was the one at fault there because he made it clear to everyone that there was a problem with who would take the penalty.  If he'd just let Henderson and Balotelli get on with it then I don't think it would have been anything like the same issue.  As far as I can tell Henderson was nominated to take the penalties and was captain but Balotelli persuaded Henderson to let him take it, which was a good decision because, even if he's not great at much else, he's good at penalties.  Nominated penalty taker and captain decides to let someone else take a penalty = non-issue, as far as I'm concerned.

I think Gerrard was also a bit out of order for his criticism of Balotelli.  He was trying to stick up for Henderson but actually undermined him by saying he was wrong to decide to let Balotelli take it.

I think Sturridge was the one at fault there because he made it clear to everyone that there was a problem with who would take the penalty.  If he'd just let Henderson and Balotelli get on with it then I don't think it would have been anything like the same issue.  As far as I can tell Henderson was nominated to take the penalties and was captain but Balotelli persuaded Henderson to let him take it, which was a good decision because, even if he's not great at much else, he's good at penalties.  Nominated penalty taker and captain decides to let someone else take a penalty = non-issue, as far as I'm concerned.

I think Gerrard was also a bit out of order for his criticism of Balotelli.  He was trying to stick up for Henderson but actually undermined him by saying he was wrong to decide to let Balotelli take it.

No, Sturridge is the designated pen taker, Henderson was the captain. Henderson stepped in to remind Balo that Sturridge was the one who should be taking the pen and Balo refused to give him the ball, so Henderson and Sturridge walked away to prevent a fight on the field. 

There was only one person in the wrong and it was Balo, as usual, it all has to be about him and not the team. 

I thought Gerrard said on ITV that Henderson was the designated taker?

It's not an issue anyway because Balotelli scored, and what do you expect? He doesn't miss penalties. Muck at most other things, but he bosses penalties. It only becomes a real issue when it turns into a Mirallas/Baines situation, where Mirallas swiped the ball from Baines - who is also a good penalty taker - and hits the post. And they also don't win the game as a result.

Balotelli scores. Liverpool win. No issue.

Aye im wrong, sorry. Hendo was the pen taker, Sturridge was telling him he should of insisted that Balo followed Rodgers instructions. 

I get that Balo scored and all is good, but the point is the manager gives out the team instructions, if he has said he wants player X taking a pen, unless that player gives it up to another willingly ( and hendo didnt seem happy last night) then it becomes an issue. Managers run the team, not the players on the pitch. 

Yeah if Henderson had missed it'd all be about why Ballotelli didn't take it despite his incredible penalty record and how he must not be confident to not take the penalty.

Happened to Giroud in his first season when he was sat on a brace and Arteta took the pen, apparently a real striker would have made sure he took it (this is when the English media had branded Giroud a flop after about 10 games).

Yeah if Henderson had missed it'd all be about why Ballotelli didn't take it despite his incredible penalty record and how he must not be confident to not take the penalty.

Happened to Giroud in his first season when he was sat on a brace and Arteta took the pen, apparently a real striker would have made sure he took it (this is when the English media had branded Giroud a flop after about 10 games).

This is an important point.  Henderson has no real track record of taking penalties and Balotelli was obviously the player on the pitch with the best track record.  If Henderson had taken it and missed then there would have been a lot of criticism.  Even if Henderson really wanted to take it and was a bit annoyed to give it to Balotelli it was a sensible decision.