aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

I think it has Tim Sherwood's name all over it.

I have to admit, though, Aston Villa are currently placed higher in the league (and with more points) than I anticipated by this point of the season. A lot of analysts and pundits keep suggesting there are some really good players at Aston Villa, but they surely can't mean football players. My definition of a good football player is someone who has performed consistently well over a period of time. Not a single Aston Villa football player can say that about themselves this season, or last. I tipped them for potential relegation this season, and I still think it might happen.

I think it has Tim Sherwood's name all over it.

I have to admit, though, Aston Villa are currently placed higher in the league (and with more points) than I anticipated by this point of the season. A lot of analysts and pundits keep suggesting there are some really good players at Aston Villa, but they surely can't mean football players. My definition of a good football player is someone who has performed consistently well over a period of time. Not a single Aston Villa football player can say that about themselves this season, or last. I tipped them for potential relegation this season, and I still think it might happen.

Fabian Delph and Christian Benteke have been good. Delph especially. Both of them need to leave. They are surrounded by dross. Benteke's goalscoring record this season isn't so good, but Villa as a unit are so poor at attacking, he's barely even been given a sniff. Nobody creates fewer chances in the league than Villa, so there's not much Benteke can do.

Grealish looks impressive too, but he should leave as well if he has any aspirations at all.

Somehow Weimann and Agbonlahor have reputations of being good footballers because they run around a lot and are pretty quick, but they are both a bit lousy at the whole football thing.

Tom Cleverley is a perfect fit for Aston Villa. Just a total nothing footballer.

Why is everyone assuming Aston Villa won't support a new manager with any transfer funds? Has the club issued a statement saying that?

In my view, Aston Villa will have a relatively decent transfer and wage budget to work with in the summer. I think every Premier League team will.

Both Villa fans I know are constantly moaning about Lerner and his unwillingness to spend dough. One is particularly vocal about their inability to strengthen the squad with every passing window. I've just taken their word(s) for it, really.

It's the same with Newcastle really. We have the funds, but they won't be released.

Edited by Murrr

Fabian Delph and Christian Benteke have been good. 

Consistently over a period of time? Both are very inconsistent with their general play over the course of 90 minutes, I find.

Delph gets a lot of rave reviews because he's an aggressive direct midfielder, who can dribble and kick the ball better with his left foot than he can with his right, but he fails to control matches, and his own match management is quite poor - he often goes missing in games. Admittedly, I've only watched five or six Aston Villa games over the 90 minutes this season, so it's likely my own assessment is a little skewed.

Consistently over a period of time? Both are very inconsistent with their general play over the course of 90 minutes, I find.

Delph gets a lot of rave reviews because he's an aggressive direct midfielder, who can dribble and kick the ball better with his left foot than he can with his right, but he fails to control matches, and his own match management is quite poor - he often goes missing in games. Admittedly, I've only watched five or six Aston Villa games over the 90 minutes this season, so it's likely my own assessment is a little skewed.

Villa are a shite team, so they will often struggle to control games, and I do rate Delph quite highly, but he'll rarely control a game in that side with some of the toss around him. They are usually under the kosh and getting battered. But as an individual, I think he stands out a fair distance. His passing and ball retention are excellent. I find his ability to keep the ball when pressed hard very impressive, and is something English players tend to not be so good at. I think he deserves a move to a better team where he'll play in a midfield that doesn't include players like Tom Cleverley, Kieran Richardson and Nathan Baker. Admittedly, I've only seen Villa a handful of times this season too, but he always stands out. He looks a cut above anyone else in the side just about.

Benteke is a typical centre forward. His all round game isn't the best, but he's got some ability to turn a game on its head by putting away half chances. His touch and finishing are definitely of a very good standard. I think he's a great striker who could get even better, but he's not going to do that at a team as godawful as a whole as Villa. he was hugely impressive over the last 2 seasons, when Villa were less shit. If he hadn't have been injured, he'd have definitely gone to the World Cup and been a starter, as he's better than Lukaku and Origi, IMO. I think he's better than a number of centre forwards in the top half of the league.

The most impressive thing about Aston Villa this season is that somehow they are not rock bottom. They are muck. Burnley and Leicester are beneath them, and both have had a number of very good performances this season and have been a little unfortunate. Villa have rarely been unfortunate. They've just been terrible.

Benteke would be hammering the goals in at a better club, no doubt about it. He's not the player you want in a scrap, or in a side developing. He'd thrive at the likes of arsenal where he wouldn't need to do much but be in the right positions.

Delph needs to take on the leadership role because he's the best player and in the commanding position but much like Huddleston at hull he's either not ready for it or not willing.

Klinnsman being in the conversation is bewildering. He's in the midst of a pretty astonishing rejuvenation of the US team. To leave now would be huge. Americans aren't used to coaches leaving as readily and there'd be a massive fall out in the media. Would be a great get for villa and make for an interesting story line. Dunno if I can see it happening.

Some absolutely comical decisions in the Hamilton/Dons game yesterday from Willie Collum and his team. They're surely due a full-scale demotion soon.

Even in the depths of Collum's dismal reputation that was a stinker of a performance. The penalty non-award was one of the most blatant stonewallers I've ever seen. You almost have to admire his ability to compound a fuckup by awarding Hamilton the freekick instead in that instance.

Well yeah - the non-penalty was the biggest joke of the three 'big decisions'.

I don't think there are reasonable excuses for any of them but let's just say that his assistants simply by human error didn't see the ball cross the line or Goodwillie being three yards onside. Understandable perhaps. But Collum has obviously seen the Rooney penalty incident, as clearly as he ever will. So clearly in fact, that he's deemed it correct to give Hamilton a free kick. Absolutely laughable. Granted, the same lad was sent off a few minutes later but not knowing that at the time, that would have been his second yellow, Aberdeen score the penalty and we're 3-0 up with 35 minutes to play, and the game is dead.

It's hugely unlikely that Aberdeen will come anywhere near winning the league this year, but if on the off-chance we lose out on goal difference I will be so, so annoyed.

So, Celtic v Inter Milan tonight.

A hard-fought 1-0 Celtic is probably the best scoreline for me. Maybe an injury too. Inter pass-pass-pass with Celtic's midfield chasing the ball for most of the game, rest players at the weekend and slip up against Hamilton (v unlikely) and then still have something to focus on at the San Siro on the Thursday in advance of the Dons game on the Sunday. Away leg much the same, hard-fought.

Basically what I'm saying is I want Celtic to still have something to play for when they go to the San Siro next Thursday. If the tie is over after tonight, they may conceivably rest players midweek before the Aberdeen game at the weekend.