aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

The thing I find strangest about united shifting Armstrong just now is that they are debt free, and have a chance of pushing for 2nd place and a league cup win (although they do normally bottle the big occasions against anyone other than Aberdeen). Celtic are not our of reach yet in the league either, although I do expect them to go on and win the league once the distraction of the UEFA cup is out of the way.

I know they were hoping to get Allen in from Hibs but now are left with a big bank balance and a weaker squad IMO than they had on Saturday. I'm sure they have some youngsters ready to step into the first team regularly and more to come through from the youth squad. United are very good at developing their youngsters into first team players.

Was it player pressure or more likely agent pressure to sell him now, perhaps a clause in his contract? Does just seem a bit strange.

The guy Muirhead from Killie is probably a good signing for them (would have taken him at Aberdeen).

It's weird but I suppose would United have got as much for Armstrong in the summer? Maybe I guess, if he had a good second half of the season and there were a few clubs interested. Both players will be happy enough to miss the cup final because they're a) getting six months extra of a wage that United couldn't give them and b) probably are satisfied that at Celtic they'll win plenty of cups. There's also the weird part that GMS anyway has signed a pre-contract with Celtic and probably didn't want to be in that situation in the final or whatevs.

We turned down Burnley and Celtics offers of 1.5 for Armstrong so we knew there was interest from other clubs.  Should have held onto him till summer IMO.

Like I say we have the bodies to replace GMS, he was gone anyway.  Better to get something rather than nothing.  Great player, struggles with injuries a lot but I suspect between 2/3 of our kids we've got the attacking talent to replace him.  I'd play Connolly most games remaining this season to give him a good run for next year.

He plays a lot like how Gauld did before his breakout year.

They definitely cant play.  They're cup tied.

Like I said, selling GMS now was a good move.  If Hibs had folded and accepted our offer we could have got Scott Allen in to fill up the squad.  Sadly they didn't which was disappointing.

I'm really not happy with the timing of the Armstrong move.  I understand he wanted to move on to further his career etc etc.  However he had a year on his deal, we were going to get at least that money in summer so why not just keep him.  He has to keep playing well or he wont get a move at all and he had the chance of silverware so he wasn't going to huff too badly.

That was really poor by the club.

Other January business looked good to me, we signed Dixon back who was a great defender in his time with us and McGowan could be a good signing to fill out our pathetic defense.

We signed 3 strikers as well with one going straight back on loan so need to see how they work out.

I thought they probably would be.

McGowan and Dixon are good signings. The young lad from Kilmarnock could be good as well.

Pity we didn't get Allen, I'd probably take Fyvie on a free though...

Fyvie has joined Hibs until the end of the season. Another young player who went south far too soon and came back with his tail between his legs. Sure he made good money in his time at Wigan but he's set his career back three years. According to Wikipedia he's played 6 games since he left the Dons in 2012.

Edited by Loopy Racist

Fyvie has joined Hibs until the end of the season. Another young player who went south far too soon and came back with his tail between his legs. Sure he made good money in his time at Wigan but he's set his career back three years. According to Wikipedia he's played 6 games since he left the Dons in 2012.

Must've missed that Fyvie move, looks like he played 17 games to me though in all competitions (which is hardly anything to shout about either!), does have an FA Cup winners medal though!

If clubs spend lavishly during the transfer window the narrative is 'football's gone mad' and 'money is ruining the game'. If there are very few marquee signings or last minute deals it's a 'disapointing transfer window'. Football journalism really has gone down the pan recently.

Excited about getting back on the horse on Saturday at home to Ross County.

McLean straight in for me:

Brown

Logan - Daniels - Reynolds - Considine

Jack - McLean

Hayes - Smith - McGinn

Rooney

Would like to see what Pawlett brings to the table from the bench, with a half hour to go or something rather than running himself tired after sixty minutes and drifting out of the game before being subbed for Cammy Smith. Smith has impacted enough in recent weeks to deserve a start in place of Goodwillie IMO.

He's just not quite there yet. Snatching at chances or getting caught in two minds when through on goal. Needs to be more decisive and clinical. I'm pretty sure it will come, but I don't think it would hurt to rest him. I guess the counter argument is to let him play through - particularly against a struggling team - in the hope that it clicks, so I wouldn't be at all disappointed if he started against County (I think he will).

Brown

Jack - McLean

Hayes - Smith - McGinn

Rooney

Would like to see what Pawlett brings to the table from the bench, with a half hour to go or something rather than running himself tired after sixty minutes and drifting out of the game before being subbed for Cammy Smith. Smith has impacted enough in recent weeks to deserve a start in place of Goodwillie IMO.

I'd like it...to be more like this:

Langfield

Jack - Mclean

Hayes - Pawlett - McGinn

Shankland

But it will never happen in a million years.

Brown

Jack - McLean

Hayes - Smith - McGinn

Rooney

I'd push McLean up where Smith is and have Flood play in centre or Nicky Low if he gets back to fitness and the same playing levels as before.

I agree with Adam's assessment of Goodwillie's recent form. I've seen quite a bit of Aberdeen this season - primarily away from home - and it's fortunate that Rooney is so accomplished in the inside left forward position; his excellent form out there has arguably afforded Goodwillie more time in the central role. Goodwillie invariably has a good touch, and earlier in the season he was linking well with those around him, but lately he's looked a little off the pace for some reason.

I read recently about McInnes investing in players and nurturing them in accordance with their own individual needs and requirements, allowing them to maximise their match performances. Sounds logical, and with Goodwillie being McInnes' only current "risk" signing, I can't help but feel this has allowed Goodwillie more time to prove himself and exert influence from the start of matches, despite his indifferent recent form. McInnes perhaps feels perseverance is the best way to nurture Goodwillie - let the player know his manager has complete faith in him. But there needs to be a balance - he has to know that if he loses sharpness or general interest, he can expect to lose his starting place, and I've often looked at Goodwillie when Aberdeen are without the ball, and he's very static (perhaps by design - McInnes possibly wants him to hover centrally to be a constant outlet, regardless of where the ball is on the pitch) and sometimes hunches his shoulders slightly, giving the impression of disinterest. It might just be his general demeanour, though.

I like the idea of Pawlett being introduced as an impact substitute, but then it can be argued that Aberdeen should have the game already won by the hour mark at home to Ross County. That said, I could easily envisage a scenario where Aberdeen are a goal up (or goalless) at that point and need an injection of sharpness to kill the game off. Personally, I would adopt that approach with Goodwillie - perhaps if he seals a result as a replacement, it will give him the bravado to do it from the start next time out.

I would also like to see Cammy Smith start a few more games too, so it'll be interesting to see what McInnes opts for. I find it difficult to drop Pawlett for Smith - they are very different players, and Pawlett has the ability to stretch defences on the counter, which is quite crucial to how Aberdeen usually set up. Pawlett really does need to tidy up his decision making, though. From what I have seen of Smith, he's a touch player who invites one-twos and links up play. He also likes to come deep and get involved, and generally seems pretty similar in style to Goodwillie, without the natural instinct to look for goal before a teammate. I would suggest Smith is more useful when Aberdeen don't have the ball than Goodwillie normally is, so it seems natural to put Rooney in the centre forward role, with Smith behind him. But if those two play, then you have to select two from Hayes, McGinn, and Pawlett, and goddamnit, I want to see all three of those start.

I just wrote way more than I intended. It's great to be discussing the numerous options available to Aberdeen, though.

Edited by Eupraxia

Everything about Goodwillie screams "50%." The guy trudges his way around the football pitch like he just doesn't care. Literally everything he does is half-arsed, and his slouched body language and huffy reactions to being subbed off/not being passed to, etc. are very telling. I really dislike him as a footballer. He's clearly a very talented guy, but the absolute least I expect is that the players give full effort, regardless of their ability level. Goodwillie, at the moment, snatches his chances, pulls-out of challenges and makes weird decisions. He just looks like he'd rather be in Priory. I hope he can get it together, but I've not found him very convincing lately. 

It makes me sad that there is an Aberdeen player who I actively dislike. I can't remember having this happen before. There's been indifference and frustration towards players in the past, but I genuinely can't stand Goodwillie. I never wanted this! It's Aberdeen! I'm supposed to look at them all fondly, even if they're shite. I always feel bad for my lovely pals who support teams like Celtic and have to put up with guys like Leigh Griffiths being total arseholes constantly and now I have one of those. Ugh! 

Watching Goodwillie on Saturday was infuriating. Standing around doing nothing, not making any decisions when he did get the ball, looking like a stupid huffy bastard, winding up United's goalkeeper, etc. Down with this sort of thing.

I get the Goodwillie hate but he's a good player that I think is as frustrated with himself as the fans can be. His demeanor on the pitch can make it look like he's not working hard (Lee Miller syndrome, anyone?) but his touch and link up play is excellent and I love the way he looks after the ball.

When it clicks for him, finally, he'll be a very important player for us IMO.

• Upvote 1