aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

A wise choice since after the euphoria of the cup match they are bound to win plus they're struggling at the moment and the Abbey Stadium has hardly been a fortress this season apart from when playing Premier League sides so all the odds lead towards a daggers win!

And what a shit prize for beating Manchester United at Old Trafford next Tuesday, an away trip to either Sheffield United or Preston North End, bah humbug!

Anyone else going to the Aberdeen Dundee United semi-final?

For days I have thought the worst - I have watched quite a lot of United this season, and although they have glaring weaknesses at the back, they have a wonderful batch of youngsters providing excellent balance to their side, and whilst they have the slack-jawed Fojut, Dillon, and Paton amongst their ranks, they also have Armstrong, Mackay-Steven (he'll play, right?), Telfer, and Cifti causing problems for most teams in Scotland. I have been quite impressed with Aidan Connolly this season too. Aberdeen are a fit, expressive, and composed team, with excellent counter-attacking ability, so I think the victors will be the team who find the right midfield balance. With Willo Flood still not quite match sharp, a lot may depend on how McInnes uses Ryan Jack and whoever he selects alongside him in the centre of midfield. Aberdeen are unquestionably best on the break, and I won't be surprised to see Pawlett just ahead of Jack in the centre. In transitions, those two have the edge over Paton and Rankin against them; if McNamara selects those two as the United pivots.

I genuinely think this might be a bit of a classic. I'm excited.

Edited by Eupraxia

Ignore that, I got trolled from twitter, its from last year.

The defender comment still stands, hope the new guy plays and isnt up to speed.  Otherwise your defence is way better than ours and that could be the difference.

Aye your right, our backline looked shacky against St Johnstone, losing Taylor seems to have been a big blow. No idea what the new guy is like yet.

Who was the backline vs St Johnston?  Assumed Considine would be at CB, but who played LB?

Logan - Reynolds - Considine - Hayes

Not really a great back line, too many left footers. They also had Reynolds on the right side which seemed to really put him off.

I'd like to see the new guy start. Considine is a great guy but he is extremely limited imo and cumbersome. Taylor offers so much more in terms of his overall play. Hayes is not a left back either, he can do the job, but he left too many gaps against St Johnstone and with Considine beside him we were quite exposed to quick attacks. 

Donervon Daniels has played numerous times at an arguably higher level than Aberdeen play, so I think McInnes will play him from the start tomorrow, with Considine reverting to left-back. It's already established that Hayes is more effective further forward, and we'll need his energy across more offensive areas - with a more advanced starting point on transitions. I agree with Milner regarding Reynolds' unfamiliarity in the right centre-back position, and it's very apparent Ash Taylor and Shay Logan have built a good partnership on the right side of defence, so let's hope Daniels and Logan can work similarly well. Reynolds and Considine on the left of defence has looked brilliant for the most part this season, so that will be a consideration of McInnes' as well.

20,000 Aberdeen tickets sold; it'd be great if United take a huge contingent down too - do we have any reports on how many have been sold by United?

Donervon Daniels has played numerous times at an arguably higher level than Aberdeen play, so I think McInnes will play him from the start tomorrow, with Considine reverting to left-back. It's already established that Hayes is more effective further forward, and we'll need his energy across more offensive areas - with a more advanced starting point on transitions. I agree with Milner regarding Reynolds' unfamiliarity in the right centre-back position, and it's very apparent Ash Taylor and Shay Logan have built a good partnership on the right side of defence, so let's hope Daniels and Logan can work similarly well. Reynolds and Considine on the left of defence has looked brilliant for the most part this season, so that will be a consideration of McInnes' as well.

20,000 Aberdeen tickets sold; it'd be great if United take a huge contingent down too - do we have any reports on how many have been sold by United?

Read we sold 8-10k.  No official numbers released by the club.

It's not too bad to be honest would be nice to match Aberdeen's big sales but we just don't pull the same size of crowds.