aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Ridiculous game. 1-0 up with no shots on target. Lol.

Should have been 3-0 and over, but Di Maria is as bollockless as Arsenal. Bottled it.

Mike Dean is the worst. Arsenal should have had a penalty in the 1st half. So should United in the 2nd. Wilshere should have been sent off as well. It's hilarious when Wilshere starts puffing his chest out and giving it the hardman game.

Smalling is a wall. The Wall. Walling.

Robin van Persie is naff.

I retrospect (as a United fan) I would have rather United sold RVP back to Arsenal and kept Welbeck. He looks past it, hopefully I'm wrong but I don't think I am. Falcao is running out of time to prove himself as well. At the start of the season I thought we had the best front line in the league, but I'm doubting that now.

Welbeck is not the answer, as he has shown since he went to Arsenal. Great at scoring easy goals against rubbish teams, next to useless in the really big games when you need a top striker to step up. 

Outwith the header against Real from a corner a few seasons back, has he ever done it against the big teams? 

Edited by The Milner

I think you need to look towards the base of your team before you do much else. Desperately need a centre back and a strong, ball winning central midfielder. But then who doesn't? Hummels linked all the time. Would be a good signing but not quite the finished article IMO. Varane available? Should do everything to get him if so. Vidal rumours have quietened. Sneijder linked today - not the player United need.

I'm still convinced a three-at-the-back will work for United:

de Gea

Smalling - Jones - Evans

Rafael-----------------------------------------------Shaw

Carrick - Di Maria

Rooney

Falcao - RVP

It's flexible in the sense that you can convert into a 4-4-2 diamond pretty easily with Jones stepping in to the DM role and Rafael and Shaw sitting in as traditional fullbacks but essentially that is how I would set the team up. Potentially dropping RvP for Rooney through the middle with Di Maria filling the 'hole' and Herrera sitting alongside Carrick. GIVE ME THE JOB.

Outwith the header against Real from a corner a few seasons back, has he ever done it against the big teams? 

Scored a belter against City in the Capital One Cup at the Etihad. Scored the winner against Arsenal at the Emirates a couple of seasons ago, as well as the opener in the 8-2 demolition. Totally steamrolled Chelsea at Stamford Bridge when he was on loan at Sunderland. Scored the winners against Belgium and Sweden for England. Decent record in big games, considering he's only 23.

Still, there's more to his game than goals. His pace and physical presence is huge, and he always is an asset up top, even when not scoring. He wouldn't have ever been a replacement for RVP, but he's the kind of player United need right now, as they severely lack pace outside of Di Maria, but he wants to be a #9 and not a winger/wide forward, which he was never going to be at United. Long term, I don't think he'll be the #9 at Arsenal either. He's a great technical footballer, but I can't see him immediately becoming a clinical finisher.

I think you need to look towards the base of your team before you do much else. Desperately need a centre back and a strong, ball winning central midfielder. But then who doesn't? Hummels linked all the time. Would be a good signing but not quite the finished article IMO. Varane available? Should do everything to get him if so. Vidal rumours have quietened. Sneijder linked today - not the player United need.

I'm still convinced a three-at-the-back will work for United:

de Gea

Smalling - Jones - Evans

Rafael-----------------------------------------------Shaw

Carrick - Di Maria

Rooney

Falcao - RVP

It's flexible in the sense that you can convert into a 4-4-2 diamond pretty easily with Jones stepping in to the DM role and Rafael and Shaw sitting in as traditional fullbacks but essentially that is how I would set the team up. Potentially dropping RvP for Rooney through the middle with Di Maria filling the 'hole' and Herrera sitting alongside Carrick. GIVE ME THE JOB.

Evans? Grim.

I don't like the back 3, because nobody in the squad knows how to play it, or at least that's how it seems. There's just so much uncertainty. Nobody seems to have a clue who should be stepping out and who should cover. The ball goes between the lines, and the defenders just fumble around cluelessly. The 0-0 draw away at Burnley was hilarious. Just shambolic defending.

If it had to be a back 3, I'd put Daley Blind in the middle, as he can step into holding midfield, and he is infinitely better at that role than clubfoot Jones. Put Jones in Evans' place, and get rid of Evans forever. Jones can play the Vidic role. Massive clogger who punts it clear.

I'd switch Carrick's position for Herrera or Fellaini. Both are a bit more mobile and have an edge about them, and can get forward effectively, more so than Carrick. Both love to get stuck in too. Carrick could probably rotate with Blind in the deeper makeshift CB/DM role.

Rooney for RVP, and Mata in the hole, because RVP can barely run anymore. That'd be alright, provided Jones and Smalling can stay fit. WHICH THEY CAN'T!

Though I'd rather they just went 4-3-3. Di Maria on the right, and a Di Maria-like player on the left, Falcao or Rooney in the middle, and whoever is the least injured in the remaining 8 positions.

Does Rojo fit in anywhere? Or is he complete shite?

Unless we get Hummels, Vidal and Mark Reynolds in, we're completely fucked.

Rojo will be a good squad player. He's a fiery little cunt, and can cover CB and LB. Definitely a good footballer, but I don't think he is a domineering centre back to take United forward, and he's not a natural LB so won't dislodge Shaw. He'll get a lot of games given the injury records of everyone else in the backline. He was probably 3rd or 4th choice in the transfer shortlist after Benatia went to Bayern and Hummels was categorically not for sale. He's a good lad though. Seems to proper love United. Threatened to go on strike at Sporting Lisbon just to force the move through. His surname is literally RED.

I think the Vidal ship has sailed. Can't see him being linked next summer again. He clearly didn't want to join, so it would just be a waste of time. Hummels is class but is just as injury prone as Jones, Smalling and Evans, so he solves nothing. United should have gone all out for Benatia. Looked like they were in pole position, but they fannied about and then Bayern sauntered in and took him away.

There's a distinct lack of elite centre backs, and out of that small pool of elite centre backs, who is even going to be available next summer? Sorting United's defence isn't an easy task. I have no idea who they will target, or who is even a realistic target at this stage.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

One of the top clubs should set up a youth academy dedicated to producing solid centre backs the way la masia churns out midget midfielders with good touch. The way football is going at the moment any such club would win everything just by not conceding five goals a game. 

Guys like Cannavaro, Thuram and Maldini must be gutted their pace has gone and fitness has gone. They'd be kings in today's game. If Luiz is 50 million......