aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

With Strachan's ludicrous suggestion that the SFA should address somehow permitting Rangers, Hearts and Hibernian all back into Scotland's top flight next year, it almost seems like he was attempting to pre-emptively justify his future squad selections. I think we'll see a pattern of Rangers and Hearts youngsters, in particular, receiving full Scotland call-ups under Strachan.

I can actually see the sense in his approach of calling a youngster into the squad to see how they integrate with the staff and the more senior players, but if it's continually done at the expense of eligible players playing consistently well at a higher level, it has to start being questioned.

Time will tell on that one.

They've got it all wrong, you can tell by that jumping about in a circle that they have no leader. They need Derek Whyte in there to guide them around the box.

Completely unrelated but this article is worth a read. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29972022 

A reminder that even today not all footballers have everything easy.

• Upvote 1

That's great news. Sounds like it will afford the club opportunities to invest in infrastructure, which although less glamorous than recruiting first team players, is the sensible way forward.

Charlie Allan is still alive, though? I harboured quite an irrational dislike for that man back when I was a budding football reporter. He's so fucking fat, it would almost literally make me sick every time I saw him at games. He carries genuine conceit around with him, as well as about twelve stones of additional body mass.

• Upvote 1

I've not read fully into the terms of the Dons debt deal yet but that's gotta be fantastic news.

Puskas award nominees are out. 

http://www.fifa.com/ballon-dor/news/y=2014/m=11/news=fifa-puskas-award-ten-best-goals-of-the-year-announced-2473885.html

Diego Costa's overhead pips it for me. The World Cup ones are all fantastic but the technique involved in keeping that overhead kick down and powerful enough is astounding. In a full pace game too. It's one thing doing that in training, a whole other doing it in a game.

Rodriguez for me, the technique as he chests it and spins around is just amazing and to top it off it has a lovely clip off the bar as it goes in.

In other news everything is going mad at FIFA. Could this be a pivotal day which eventually leads to the end of this corrupt regime?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/13/fifa-ethics-report-summary-warped-sense-integrity?CMP=twt_gu

Rodriguez for me, the technique as he chests it and spins around is just amazing and to top it off it has a lovely clip off the bar as it goes in.

In other news everything is going mad at FIFA. Could this be a pivotal day which eventually leads to the end of this corrupt regime?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/13/fifa-ethics-report-summary-warped-sense-integrity?CMP=twt_gu

I agree with the Rodriguez strike. On top of the amazing technique to take the ball with back to goal, control it, spin, and flush the volley, there is awareness before the ball arrives to him to have a wee look over his shoulder for the options. You can see it in the replay from behind him at 21 seconds in. Blink and you'll miss it but its there... Goals always look better when they go in off the bar too! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GESyL3MkgNU&index=1&list=PLCGIzmTE4d0j0nkpgKtNWlu-IYEDGti_i

It's cool watching those goal replays without commentary. It's so much better. Commentary dampens the atmosphere and the reaction of the goal.

I'd forgotten about the Kasami goal. I think that's my favourite of the lot. The Van Persie one is great too. Awesome pass from Blind. I don't think I've ever seen a goal quite like it.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

Yeah, the Van Persie one is up there for it's uniqueness. Like you say, you've never seen anything like it.

In other football news, there's a numbing inevitability about Moyes taking over at Real Sociedad. He'll lift them a few places for 2 or 3 seasons, struggle with the language/culture the whole time and move back to manage a bottom half premier league team after a respectable europa league outing.

I dont see why Moyes cannot do well there. He is not a terrible manager, he was always on a hiding to nothing with United, and as shown this season, the club needs re-built from the bottom up. Something he wasnt given the chance to do.

Yeah, totally agree. A lot of people have been laughing at the guy like he's going away to manage Real Madrid or Barcelona, not the current second worst team in La Liga. A lot of people hold La Liga to strange standards, like it's some kind of mythical dream league in which every player is a tiki-taka ninja and every team plays free-flowing, artistic football that most neanderthals over here in Britain just cannot comprehend. I reckon he'll do alright.

Edited by Murrr

I think Moyes will do alright. He just didn't have the ego or the big time mentality to hack it at United, but he won't be lumbered with elite expectations at Sociedad. He's got a reasonable squad to work with, and the club have a great academy in place. My only concern for him is that Sociedad seem to have an itchy trigger finger. Managers just don't get time.

Fair cop to him for going abroad to rebuild his reputation. I do think he should have done it before getting the United job though, or even taken the Spurs job when it was presented to him. He's always been a decent manager, but I don't think he's ever proven to be a great manager.

I have my doubts about him at Sociedad. It depends how much he's learned from his United experience. This is obviously a very different job but it will require him to adapt and work in different ways than he is comfortable. Something he just couldn't do with Man U.

And that van Persie goal has become way over rated. I deserves it's place in the top ten for Blind's pass but it shouldn't win.