aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

I actually quite like the look of United's defence on-paper. Am I being stupid? A back four of Rafael, Smalling, Blackett and Rojo seems pretty tidy.

The defence is fine, barring Evans, who has regressed.

Rafael is great. Valencia is good cover. Jones and Smalling will step up, I am certain. Jones already has been doing. Blackett has been impressive for a newbie. Centre Back isn't even his primary position, but Van Gaal reckons it is, so he's a centre back now. Rojo looks good, and can play CB and LB. Everybody knows about Luke Shaw. 

Even with Vidic in the last 2 seasons, the defence was leaking. For me, it was more to do with the players infront of the defence. Carrick and Cleverley could probably get easily out muscled by a gust of wind. There was no proper defensive midfield presence for a long time. Moyes tried to remedy that by playing a big lanky target man as a defensive midfielder, and that bombed.

Blind and Herrera looked to be sharing the defensive midfielder duties yesterday. Both were very good. Di Maria gets stuck in as well, and he wins the ball back a lot for being such a skinny lad. United had a proper midfield for the first time in ages.

But it was only QPR, and QPR are hilarious.

Graeme Bailey @GraemeBailey     17m

The fact Alan Pardew won't quit means he is set to be in charge of Newcastle this weekend - Mike Ashley hoping he will resign.

Graeme Bailey @GraemeBailey     16m

Ashley was up for sacking him all last week, but he thought Pardew would quit - very much a stand-off at the moment.

From a reporter very close to the regime, who was bang-on the money re: NUFC stories all summer.

Pretty encouraging, though, like always, I take it with a huge pinch of salt. I get the feeling that the prick is finally on the ropes, and he's only one big KO punch away from being finished.

Knowing our luck, however, he'll fluke a win on Saturday, and the agony will continue.

IS IT FINALLY REACHING AN END?!

Tell me about it. So many things about Ashley's Newcastle are incredible un-football. For a start there's the fact that we make a pretty large profit every year, and the club pretty much acknowledging that the goal is to finish 10th every season and bow-out of the cup competitions early (yes, really).

Then there's this. Ashley is so cheap. All you have to do to punt the guy is pay him a million smackers, but he's trying to hold-out for Pardew's resignation.

Why would Pardew resign?! He's already shown that he's willing to put-up with the abuse, and he lacks the humility to admit he's not cut-out for this job. He has messed-up colossally at Newcastle and will never get another club job this big, and oh yeah, he'd be throwing his compensation away.

Stupid, stupid Newcastle. Hopefully this is resolved soon, and we can get a more capable individual through the door. Moyes would be incredible, but it'll probably be John Carver. 

• Upvote 1

Two obstinate and arrogant men, both attempting to express their dominance upon each other. It's ludicrous.

Perversely for Mike Ashley, though, he'd be better expressing his dominance by just getting rid of Alan Pardew.

I think Steve Clarke would be a very worthwhile appointment for Newcastle. In fact, I think he's the ideal candidate.

I would be very satisfied with Steve Clarke but I heard that he was favourite for the Leeds job. Could be wrong.

Sherwood is a plum and I'm not entirely convinced that he's shown many positive traits as a manager. Still, he appears to be a functioning human, which puts him above Pardew.

Pulis' name will be mentioned but he's just left Palace following some chairman fuckery: no chance he'd want to work under Ashley.

I wonder what Joe Kinnear's up to these days?

I'm hearing rumours that Russell Anderson is crocked and will retire. :( Hope to fuck it's not true.

That was always a risk this season, similar to Miller in many ways when he retired...

It really does annoy me (as I said on Saturday) that we did not push to get Shinnie in this window. Considine should be first pick to partner Reynolds in the absence of Anderson but the manager will no doubt use the "cant play 2 left sided central defenders"  which leaves him covering the LB position until January, when as you said we should get Shinnie for cheap.

However If Reynolds or Taylor gets injured then Hayes will be forced into playing LB. Although capable of doing a job at LB we do need him playing in the attacking 4 as he is the key to being able to break down the opposition.  

Could just be a rumour as you said but I fear the worst.

That was always a risk this season, similar to Miller in many ways when he retired...

It really does annoy me (as I said on Saturday) that we did not push to get Shinnie in this window. Considine should be first pick to partner Reynolds in the absence of Anderson but the manager will no doubt use the "cant play 2 left sided central defenders"  which leaves him covering the LB position until January, when as you said we should get Shinnie for cheap.

However If Reynolds or Taylor gets injured then Hayes will be forced into playing LB. Although capable of doing a job at LB we do need him playing in the attacking 4 as he is the key to being able to break down the opposition.  

Could just be a rumour as you said but I fear the worst.

Where do people get that he would be cheap?

I thought because of him being young and with Caley for so long he'd cost at least 300k.  Is it not 60k a year for young players?

For some reason 3 at the back isn't as cool as it was 15 years ago. It is an option that should be looked at to keep the opposition guessing.

I still think for games at home we need to drop one of the defensive midfield pair (Flood) to help speed up attacks. We always have the short ball option (not a bad thing) when building an attack and love to take it too often. Prime example of how dangerous we are in quick attacking is the St Johnstone semi at Tynecastle. 4 goals all from picking up the ball and using our pace to devastating effect. I also think Jack would excel even more in the lone holding role.

I'm always a little envious of watching Smeltic (kill me now) and the way they exploite the space between the oppositions defence and midfield - they always have players making runs, creating space for the player on the ball move into/ pass to. Aberdeen have the players to cut open defences we just set up too defensivley... 

Where do people get that he would be cheap?

I thought because of him being young and with Caley for so long he'd cost at least 300k.  Is it not 60k a year for young players?

Compensation is due only if they move on while still a 'youth' I think. Not sure what age that stops at but I have 21 in my head. I could be wrong of course

Adam and I were discussing this on Saturday and came to the conclusion that Caley would rather get a fee in January than lose him for free in the summer. If I were Caley I'd keep him until his contract runs out as he is fundamental to their constant punching above their weight. 

I agree regarding the two DMs at home. Sometimes I feel like Aberdeen are overly conservative against weaker teams, and they really struggle to break deep-sitting teams down. I rate Flood, but his passing can be erratic to say the least, and this certainly doesn't help. I can understand why McInnes employs such a strategy, but it'd be nice to see Aberdeen open up a little more at times.

Plus, Ryan Jack is the king of football. He is more than capable of anchoring two midfields on his own, let alone one.

IIRC, each 'level' of club is ranked. Maximum compensation is paid where an 'elite' club loses a player to another 'elite' club, where an 'elite' club takes a player from a lower ranked team, the compensation is still significant, but that drops considerably when a lower ranked team loses a player to another lower ranked team, or where a lower ranked club takes a player from an 'elite' club.

There has to be proof that the club that's losing out has offered a contract on similar (or better) terms than the club that benefits.

Regardless, I think Shinnie will be over the age threshold (23) by next summer anyway if a team wants to sign him on a Bosman.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes