aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Looking at the Scotland squad again where are McCormick and Rhodes? are they injured or out of favour, would have thought they'd be shoe ins by now. 

Both out of form big time, plus i dont think Strachan rates Rhodes for the way he wants Scotland to play.

Shame Jack was not involved, but he has so many good players ahead of him. Reynolds could probably be the only one annoyed as Bera is ahead of him, but im not sure he really has another level to step up. 

I may have my blue and white goggles on here, but I can't understand why Rhodes isn't getting into these squads.  Perhaps Strachan doesn't see the passion in him to play for the national team - as he's properly, full on English - but I think he's the second best out and out striker elegible to play for our nation (Naismith isn't a centre forward) and there's not much between he and Fletcher, although they are different players.  I think Rhodes is more rounded, whereas Fletcher probably fits Strachan's system a wee bit better.  He can easliy fit in to Strachan's system IMO and when he isn't banging in goals, he's holding the ball up well and creating.  There's far, far more to his game than an outstanding scoring record (which is undeniably brilliant).  He has excellent composure in front of goal which Scotland have desperately needed since Kenny Miller turned 30. 

I trust Strachan though.  This is just one point I can't quite get around. 

The most jarring thing about that Scotland squad is the group of defenders. 

Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Craig Forsyth (Derby County), Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Andrew Robertson (Hull City), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Really bloody depressing, that. 

I wonder why that is? I'd imagine there's a certain element of it being old fashioned to play a big bruiser Jaap Staam type at the back therefore less classic no 5s are recruited at a young age and more athletic players making the cut.

The world needs more Tony Adams'ses's

I'm not sure. Some might argue that the role has become more difficult than it used to be due to the changes in the offside law. Coaching maybe plays a part, look how much praise Pochettino got last season for having the Southampton defense set up well, it showed how unusual it is.

I suppose the weakened status of serie a and Italian clubs might have had an impact at the highest level, there aren't as many of the cream of the crop being trained by in teams in that defensive culture. 

Perhaps it's just that here in the UK 4-4-2 was the norm for so long that everyone got so used to a 2v2 confrontation that they've struggled to adapt to to new systems.

I think also with the higher importance of being good on the ball and moving forward, coupled with minor contact being foul play, decent sweepers/reducers have been made redundant. But a few teams could really use a power house these days.

There does seem to be a lot of inexcusable positional play lately, possibly stemming from left/right backs importance to forward width, making space reduction hard across a back line.

The most jarring thing about that Scotland squad is the group of defenders. 

Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Craig Forsyth (Derby County), Gordon Greer (Brighton and Hove Albion), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Andrew Robertson (Hull City), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Really bloody depressing, that. 

I dunno.You'd be looking at a starting back 4 of Hutton, Hanley, Martin and Robertson. About as good as we could hope i think, 

Yeah, nae bad...and wouldn't be improved by anyone that's not in the squad, I don't think.

Nah i dont see anyone who isnt in the squad who would improve that defense. Id probably have Reyonlds instead of Greer, purely because Reyonlds is not away to start collecting his pension, but he wouldnt start. Hutton is as good a right back as we have, and Robertson is the first real left back we've had since Davie Roberston, or it seems like that. Forsyth is a good option to back up Roberston and Whitticker is about as good a back up on the right as we have. You could maybe argue Jack, but he isnt really a right back, he can just play there. It would be a waste for the team.