aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

I dunno, with Suarez gone they need attackers as well.  I know Sturridge is improved and Sterling looks really good but Suarez is what made them tick.

They won a few games when he was banned at the start of last season but not really against great teams.  They'll struggle to contend without him and with the added impact of Champions League games.

Probably back fighting for 4th.  They really need new defenders though they kinda need a DM as well.  Gerrard can't really do it and Lucas looks rubbish these days.

• Upvote 1

I dont tbh. I think losing Suarez will take them out of the title race next season. He won them heaps of games just on his own last year, i dont think they have enough to break down some teams without him. 

Edit - What he said above! 

Edited by The Milner

Liverpool have signed Emre Can as a defensive midfielder (I think he can also play CB) and seem likely to sign Lovren as well, once they agree a fee with Southampton.  They're also tipped to sign Ryan Bertrand too - maybe not that great a signing, but perhaps he'll 'do a Sturridge' and fulfill his potential at Liverpool.  One of the tricky things at the moment - and it's one other teams (e.g. Man United) are facing - is that there don't seem to be a lot of really good defenders around.  The World Cup has borne this out to some extent too.  I kind of agree that they should spend the Suarez money on a really good back line but it's actually quite hard to know who they would be able to get.  Prices for even 'promising' defenders (e.g. Shaw, Sakho, Lovren) are remarkably high at the moment too, which suggests that there's a real premium on any kind of defensive quality.

It's hard to say how they will do in an attacking sense without Suarez.  He obviously scored loads of goals last season and provides a kind of 'x-factor' that is hard to replace (i.e. he's unpredictable and can produce some 'magic' that can make a goal from nothing).  Having said that, he lost some form during the run in when Liverpool won a lot of games so I don't think they're as dependent on him as is sometimes suggested.  If they can get Sanchez then he could potentially be very good, though it looks possible that they won't get him.  They should probably just throw all the money at buying J-Rod but I don't think he would come to England.  It's easier to find attacking talent to spend the money at the moment though.

Goodwillie signing complete:

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20140707/striker-joins-the-dons_2212158_3966882

One year deal, suits both parties.

I'm pretty sure McInnes will get the best out of him, if there's still a 'best' in there (with regards confidence/drive etc). Good option alongside Rooney, as an alternative to Rooney or playing off the left hand side.

Gives us real options now.

Can't really get excited about Goodwillie signing.  Was pretty rubbish on his loan spell at United and hasn't shown much form since he left Scotland.  That's before you even start on his off-field problems.

Still it's only a one year deal and gives us a bit of cover which will be sorely needed if we want to progress in all competitions.

The off field stuff against him was dropped, so im happy not to really concentrate on it. If he finds form then he will do a great job for us, but thats the taks for McInnes. I dont really see him being a huge success as he wont get the game time he needs to really find his form again, Rooney will still be the main man, but at least he gives us an option we didnt have last season. 

Goodwillie's confidence probably took a dent due to not being automatic first pick up front,; with Jon Daly leaving the club he probably expected this to be the case. I understand you have to have to prove yourself in training before getting a chance on a Saturday, but Goodwillie probably felt he was going to walk into the team and the club booted him as soon as they were given the opportunity (might have been down to poor attitude...who knows.) Nadir Ciftci had a great season last year, and there was no way he was getting dropped to allow Goodwillie some game time.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops under McInnes, and if we get 15 goals out of him this year then it'll be a good season I reckon. Bearing in mind that IF Aberdeen reach the Europa League group stages and get a decent run in both domestic cups, it'll be a 60 game season at least; he's not a bad option to replace Adam Rooney and might even become the preferred option if he proves himself.  Definitely glad he's only signed a 1 year deal though.

He played for Argentina, Colombia and Spain! He was worse than Costa!

If you read any books about him, his team or that era in general you will find quite a few players from that period who will name him as the best ever. Above Pele, Cruyff, Maradona etc. It is a shame so little footage of the greats of the past exists.

The rules were all over the place and changed often I believe. Certainly having played competitive matches for one country didn't prohibit a player from playing for another country once he got citizenship. 

His period in Colombia and subsequent transfer is the most interesting transfer saga in history in my opinion. It's definitely worth reading up on. The Colombian league at the time was basically a rogue operation unsanctioned by FIFA and paying loads of dosh to get the world's best players. This lead to him playing in Colombia but his registration remaining with his club in Argentina. Barca and Madrid fought over him, both negotiating with different clubs claiming to own the player. Barca really were in the pole position to get him too, he even played a couple of training matches with them. It's amazing how much his eventual move to Madrid affected Spanish and European football history. 

Rumour that you might be getting Carl Jenkinson as part of the deal though - that's good business if so IMO.

Haven't seen that other than in unreliable sources?

Doesn't really matter anyway Jenko is the forever number 2 in Wengers plans.  Debuchy's age is perfect to not stunt Bellerin's run into the first team.  Played 8 really good games for Watford last season before being recalled as cover and is climbing the Spanish junior international ranks.  Real talent, Jenko's ceiling is way lower, shame though as he loves the Arsenal.

Haven't seen that other than in unreliable sources?

Doesn't really matter anyway Jenko is the forever number 2 in Wengers plans.  Debuchy's age is perfect to not stunt Bellerin's run into the first team.  Played 8 really good games for Watford last season before being recalled as cover and is climbing the Spanish junior international ranks.  Real talent, Jenko's ceiling is way lower, shame though as he loves the Arsenal.

Nor have I, hence 'rumour' and 'if so'.

Not heard of Bellerin - presume he's a young full back? Let's hope he's better than Miquel.

Nor have I, hence 'rumour' and 'if so'.

Not heard of Bellerin - presume he's a young full back? Let's hope he's better than Miquel.

He's 19 and yes he's good.  We poached him from Barca's academy in 09 I think.  Well he looked too good for championship level in his short spell there but at 19 you never know he could still not work out.

The other rumour floated about by the Guardian is it's Joel Campbell that Newcastle are getting as part of it.  I don't believe either to be honest, player swaps are pretty rare.