aberdeen-music

Volume pedal or booster?

brettthain1

Just wondering what is more preferred when doing solos, a booster pedal such as the zvex super hard on, mxr micro amp etc or a volume/expression pedal (would probable be a boss one or an earnie ball, whatever really!)

I'm only after something to get me abit louder for when I do a solo with a full band, and it's a pain in the arse having to adjust the amp constantly!

I tend to use both a booster pedal or the eq option above as an eq you can tweak the frequencies you want to come through the mix. Alternatively if you don't wanna but something there is a thing on most guitars called a volume pot. Just use that. I tend to roll mine off a touch with most tracks then give it a boost as and when needed.

I'd never of thought an eq pedal would be handy on a pedal board, I'll look into one and see if it is a benefit investing in one to!

I could be killing two birds with one stone and grab a zvex box of rock (I do like his pedals!) which has a booster as well, has anybody tried one? The ehx pedal seems like a great solution and it's not a bad size as well!

I've had good results with any of the following:

SHO into the fx loop of my marshall. Probably the best results as it basically makes the sound you are playing...very loud:)

Eq pedal on the board. More subtle effect and works better depending on the sound you are using at time.

J&H running dist side then kicking in the OD side. Once again this give quite loud vol boost, but tends to sound more of an OD sound than a dist sound.

Overall the SHO through the fx loop was the best for me...especially if your fx loop has a vol control (mix)

Hope that helps. If you wait until I get back, I can show you what I mean if you like? 

I sometimes use an EQ pedal as a boost option, gives you a good level of control and helps with the whole actual volume vs perceived volume thang.

This. It is likely not a volume boost you require for soloing, you want to cut through the mix instead. Imagine that your solo is occupying the space where the singer was, so you are likely to want some mids and high end boosted.