aberdeen-music

The World Cup 2014 Thread

Woodsinho

Shame for the Swiss. They were so close to penalties, where it's anybodies game. Pretty ropey game other than the last 5 minutes or so.

Anyway. Fuck Chile. Bottlers. I hope Holland clean up. G'wan Robin. And Robben.

Expected more from you. this is Andy Townsend "it's a lottery" level. It's not anyone's game, almost always the best technical, least fatigued and most mentally and physically strong side will win the shootout. It's all about skill and mental strength. 

I enjoyed that game. Argentina still haven't clicked though. Messi has been good but too many others are off their game and the team isn't working as a whole.

I thought Argentina were pretty rank other than Messi.

Yesterday did nothing to make me think a European side will win this thing.

Can't see a European side not winning it, even with Brazil's home advantage. Would love it to be Colombia, which actually looks most likely of the three South Americans, but not sure they've really been tested much.

Have France, Holland or Germany looked any more likely? 

And don't forger the FIX FACTOR with Brazil.

Erm, yes? The Netherlands has already beaten two teams which held Brazil. France were immense in the group stages and pretty comfortable against Nigeria; probably most likely winners for me. Germany not so much but still better than Brazil/Argentina imo. Belgium are finally looking powerful as well.

Edited by scottyboy

France were good in the first two matches but you have to take into account the shambolic performance of Switzerland in their second match. Nigeria were unluckly against them. Who are the two teams Netherlands beat which held Brazil? They beat a weakened couldn't give a fuck Chile who then later held Brazil in a game that mattered. Lucky as fuck to beat Mexico. the only team that have impressed in every match is Colombia but they haven't had the hardest fixtures. It's wide open.

Belgium have been mostly disappointing. 

Edited by Paranoid Android

Chile and Mexico. Disagree they were lucky to beat Mexico, yes they were useless the first half, because it was 38 degrees, but dominated the last 30m and I was pretty confident they'd score. Mexico were lucky not to have given away at least one other penalty before the winner.

Edited by scottyboy

Expected more from you. this is Andy Townsend "it's a lottery" level. It's not anyone's game, almost always the best technical, least fatigued and most mentally and physically strong side will win the shootout. It's all about skill and mental strength.

I can think of many occasions where the lesser team has won a shootout. The FA cup is full of penalty shootout upsets from smaller clubs. There's still skill involved, but if you're a professional playing at the world cup, you probably have the ability to take a well placed penalty. IMO, Switzerland had a better chance of winning via penalties than they did 11v11

I am. I admit, I doubted them at first. I thought Spain and those useless bottlers Chile would go through and Holland would slump. Wrong! Glory supporter. G'wan Holland. If Holland don't win it, I don't want anyone to win it. I hope the rest of the tournament just gets cancelled if Holland get knocked out. If. They won't though.

They are great despite having a severe lack of good technical players, and Robben is a total bastard. I hope they sweep everyone else aside, hopefully via Robben being a bastard. I like the way he runs. He sort of shuffles at ultra-high speed, with a really uncomfortable look on his face, as if he's holding in a massive poo.