aberdeen-music

The World Cup 2014 Thread

Woodsinho

My world-cup-since-94-all-stars attempt. Memory is pretty vague (I was going to pick Toldo until I realised he hadn't played in the World Cups either side of his Euro 2000 classics). But something like (excuse the monstrous formation, maybe it's 3-4-3, maybe it's 5-2-3...):

Kahn

Maldini, Cannavaro, Nesta

R. Carlos, Cafu

Ballack, Zidane

Baggio, D. Sukur, Ronaldo

Far too many injuries going in to this World Cup. These friendlies should be non-contact two-touch games. Too many important players are getting ruled out, or were ruled out some time ago. Reus, Ribery, Thiago, Chamberlain, Walcott, Falcao, Benteke, Strootman, Montolivo, Montes, Van der Vaart, Shirokov, Van der Wiel to name a few!

Vidal, Ronaldo, Aguero, Suarez, RVP are all probably going to go into the World Cup nowhere near 100% fit.

No more injuries!

It was pretty brutal last night.

Not least Chiles trying to fill time for live telly. Awful.

From that we learned Hoddle would start Lampard and Gerrard in the first game of the World Cup. Sigh.

England looked so much better when Wilshere/Barkley came on for Rooney/Gerrard. Saying that I reckon Rooney probably would have scored one of the 3 chances Sturridge had if he was up front.

No such thing as friendlies at the other side of the Atlantic. Ecuador were some nasty boys as well, but not as nasty as Honduras. The referee was really letting alot of it go, probably because it's a friendly. 3 red cards in 2 back to back friendlies. I can't remember ever seeing that before.

Sturridge should have scored loads. He was playing like Chelsea Sturridge.

As a mark of Brazilian expectation for the world cup, their fans booed and jeered them off the pitch because they only beat Serbia 1-0 in their final warm up match.  Shouldn't affect big Phil's coolness though!

A pretty uninspired final friendly for England not helped with the lengthy break.  All I can conclude from the whole thing is that ITV should never be allowed anywhere near football matches... ever!  Yes they do get stuck in those Hondurans!

Yeah I watched the England Honduras game the other night; also thought that England looked better after replacing Rooney/Gerrard with Wilshere/Barkley.

If Roy Hodgson is serious about challenging for the World Cup then he has to look at the players who will actually win matches, as opposed to manipulating his squad to accomodate the 'bigger' players. This Rooney playing on the left hand side is a load of pish, especially when Oxlaide Chamberlain, Sterling and Welbeck are all available. I know Barkley is still a bit raw at this level but I honestly think that he should get a start ahead of Rooney against Italy due to his level of energy. Maybe Sturridge should get dropped because of poor finishing and have Rooney play up top, but either way I think over the two friendlies Ross Barkley has done enough to show that he should be starting.

What I have suggested above will never happen though; even if Barkley was to make an impact as a substitute and essentially win the game himself he probably still wouldn't start the next match.

Yeah i'm not really liking the McDonalds one this year.  It's a bit pants with a 23 man squad.

I basically have an 11 with one half decent sub then loads of 1s-2s.

The Telegraph has a pretty nice version so people should decide if they like the McDonalds one or we can try the Telegraph.

EDIT: Looking closer at the telegraph one it also has a really restricting budget as you only pick a first 11.  So you cant even build the team you would in the McDonalds one.

Edited by Captain America

Yeah I watched the England Honduras game the other night; also thought that England looked better after replacing Rooney/Gerrard with Wilshere/Barkley.

If Roy Hodgson is serious about challenging for the World Cup then he has to look at the players who will actually win matches, as opposed to manipulating his squad to accomodate the 'bigger' players. This Rooney playing on the left hand side is a load of pish, especially when Oxlaide Chamberlain, Sterling and Welbeck are all available. I know Barkley is still a bit raw at this level but I honestly think that he should get a start ahead of Rooney against Italy due to his level of energy. Maybe Sturridge should get dropped because of poor finishing and have Rooney play up top, but either way I think over the two friendlies Ross Barkley has done enough to show that he should be starting.

What I have suggested above will never happen though; even if Barkley was to make an impact as a substitute and essentially win the game himself he probably still wouldn't start the next match.

I fully expect the same old pish from England.

It's been the same since the Eriksson days.  Crowbar in all the big names, regardless of where they normally play / balance etc.  That's not how to win football matches.  The main problem that England have is that they have far too many "stars" due to the hype they receive from playing in the PL.  Most of them are just "stars" by name too and don't come anywhere near the hype that follows them.

Very good players, but barely anything like world class.  The managers then do their best to play all of the so-called "stars" which bollocks up any balance the team could have.  All to accommodate some very good players (but not absolutely amazing players).

I haven't seen the England friendlies, so my assessment is judged on the comments in this thread.  That's pretty failsafe, right?

4-3-3...GOALS!

Lloris

Zabaleta, Vlaar, Mertesacker, Baines

Pogba, Pirlo, Ramirez

Messi          Giroud          Lukaku

I thought I'd go with Giroud as he's looked pretty good in the friendlies. Don't have much quality on the bench aside from Nacir Chadli, Helder Postiga and Jean Makoun. I have recruited Sol Bamba but have decided not to start him so you all have a chance in the first game. I'll be clearing up once I get him involved.

I think the McDonalds one seems okay.  I guess most of the time you only need a reasonable squad of around 13 strong players and then the rest aren't likely to figure. Anyone can pick a bunch of stars but the skill is also going to be in picking players who might do well but don't cost so much.

Edited by Mr Owl PhD