Portugal [CA_GERE]

Ghana [KSJ81]

USA [NEEPHEID]

GROUP H

Belgium [GLADSTONE]

Algeria

Russia [JAN]

Korea Republic [SCOTTYBOY]

I watched ESPN's special on team USA's road to the world cup. Narrated by judah friedlander of 30 rock + trucker hat fame. It was surprisingly very good. A nice mix of decent analysis and american showmanship/patriotism. Ill paste a link when im at a computer later. They missed a trick though, they should have called it 'straight outta CONCACAF'

Klinsmann has done a good job rebuilding so far. I like his approach of not messing about with actual american players and just poaching germans with american names. He wants to win games not nation's hearts. We risk getting absolutely slaughtered in the group but I predict a win against ghana, and a loss and a draw against either ger or por. Whether thatll be enough I doubt it. I hope for the sake of atmosphere over here that we at least show up and fight. If they get out the group it'll be pandemonium... its hard to convey how excited people are for this world cup in poland. Last world cup was a defining moment in public uptake, this one is mpre about pure fervant fandom. Genuinely exciting times for football over here.

Has there been much backlash over Michael Wilbon telling Klinsmann to get out of America?

I don't think he said anything about football we didn't already know.  Is Wilbon just an idiot on a show that no one cares about?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/michael-wilbon-jurgen-klinsmann

It comes across as quite Xenophobic though and can you imagine if it was the other way around and Klinsmann was black and Wilbon white.  Wilbon would probably be trying to find a new job.

I was looking through the BBC's all time world cup XI selector http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-27699398 and thought I would create my all time XI from my lifetime. Being born in 1981 I have went from Spain 1982 to South Africa 2010.

In a 4-1-3-2 formation I have selected:

Buffon(ITA)

Lahm(GER) Barresi(ITA) Breitner(GER) Maldini(ITA)

Matthaus(GER)

Pirlo(ITA)   Xavi(SPA)   Zidane(FRA)

Klose(GER) Ronaldo(BRA)

What is your all time XI from your lifetime? 

Sod lifetimes. I went with the best players. I also went 3-4-3. Because goals.

Gilmar

Maldini  Beckenbaur  Baresi

Matthaus  Neeskens

Platini -------------- Jairzinho

Cruyff  G.Muller  Maradona

4 attacking midfielders. You can do what you want when there's that defence behind them. I could play 6 strikers.

This team wouldn't do well in real life though. We'd ship a lot of goals. A lot of goals. Because Gilmar is dead.

Buffon

Cafu - Cannavaro - Maldini - Roberto Carlos

Pirlo

Zidane - Xavi

Rivaldo

Ronaldo - Klose

Ultimate width with Cafu/R.Carlos. Classy Italian 'back four' if you include Pirlo sitting infront of the defence and orchestrating play, with Xavi and Zidane running rings around any opposition midfield. Rivaldo loved a spectacular break from deep, with Ronaldo and Klose providing ALL THE GOALS.

:up: