aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Mini Music-fest - Opinions Please

MarkDrummer

Is that Project Slogan place still around? Did it ever do gigs?

I'm not sure what the options are for rehearsal spaces in Aberdream these days, but could something be done in any of them or are any of them big enough to do anything in? Different bands in different rooms maybe. BYOB. GBOL ATB.

I have never organised a festival in my life, so these are probably stupid questions. Especially when I think about the CW practice space gigs and dubious legality of them.

Stag and Dagger this year had a pop-up stage in a hairdresser's, so things like that could be cool... provided it wasn't too much of a pain in the ass to source gear and the place you chose didn't have a totally awkward layout.

DAE IT.

Sorry - that's probably not much help.  I've typed it now though, so I'll leave it.

Same.

It's not very "outside-the-box" but Tunnels is probably a good bet. You could hire out both rooms and have two bills going on side by side, rather than venues across the city. Much easier for going back and forth between venues. Central location, good sound. Electronica/ambient in one room, and all that noisy rock-and-roll in the other room.

Unless you're just gunning for a single-bill all-dayer in one place, then the above wouldn't be an issue. But two rooms give you the opportunity to have a mixed bill without really being a mixed bill, as you know what you're getting depending on which room you're in.

Meeting with Exodus next week to discuss. Think my plan is to try and do it in one day, rather than spreading it across 2 days/nights. Exodus has the potential of having an acoustic stage downstairs in Triple Kirks. I've also contacted a couple of more well-known-outside-Aberdeen bands who would be interested in playing the gig.

Also going to take a wander through town today on my lunch hour to see if I can scope out any more potential venues. I'd absolutely love to do something in Enigma but there's not much I can do there unfortunately, plus noise levels would be an issue (according to a very helpful woman at the Council I spoke to yesterday). Same goes for Union Terrace Gardens.

Judging from the feedback on here, from bands and from the general music-loving population of Aberdeen, there's a decent demand for this. So it's happening.

• Upvote 4

Unless the Lemon Tree has changed dramatically since I put on gigs there a few years ago, I'd say it's more than a little more expensive than the others!  It's a great venue in my view, but you need to pull a really big crowd to break even and to get a good atmosphere in the place because it's so big!  300+ really for the place to be "busy" - I only managed that once!

What would be cool, but much more work (and probably costly / lots of red tape to get through / etc) would be in a public space like Union Terrace Gardens or something.  But you would need to factor in getting the Cooncil on board, getting a stage, hiring all the audio equipment / backline, portaloos, security, and all that jazz.  I'm sure there are lots of other things too.

What's going on down at Amadeus these days...?  It's probably crumbling so not a viable option.

Beach ballroom?  Probably not viable because it's probably like a magnified version of Lemon Tree in terms of size, cost, etc.  Those Live @ the Beach gigs seem to have died a death.

Sorry - that's probably not much help.  I've typed it now though, so I'll leave it.

Being turned into a Range store - http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/local/work-set-to-start-on-new-store-at-aberdeen-beach-in-august-1.368549

I take it Priory is out of the question due to the clientele.

Is that Project Slogan place still around? Did it ever do gigs?

I'm not sure what the options are for rehearsal spaces in Aberdream these days, but could something be done in any of them or are any of them big enough to do anything in? Different bands in different rooms maybe

Project Slogan did do a few small-but-ace gigs, but it's now Photoghost.

• Upvote 1

If you're going for Belmont street area you could see if imported instruments might do a pop up stage in the shop? they do acoustic stuff some weekends already I think...

Depending on how big you want to make it, would it be worthwhile trying to get local businesses to sponsor a stage? I'm thinking like 57 degrees north/ SHMU, captain toms, musical vision, II, R&B. At the very least I'm sure you could get them to supply the backline and PA if the venues don't have in house.

The first Go North festival was primarily based around Belmont street, and TK's had full on rock bands playing not just acoustic dunno if they'd be up for doing that again.

If my memory serves me right the venues used were; drummonds, Kef/ lava/ golw 303/ whatever it was called at the time, One up, TK's, Exodus, and possibly the cinema but I might have made that one up...

Anyway great idea   

• Upvote 1

Was thinking, I've seen a few people link up with concept and attic in the academy before and do acoustic gigs and Dj sets in the shops. Or even in the actual academy center itself, where they have the sofas and foozball at the moment, I could see a small acoustic stage or something like that. Just an idea ken.

• Upvote 1

The courtyard outside the Academy can do acoustic and acoustic only. The Tivoli costs a bomb and I've yet to meet with the guys who run Cowdray Hall - is there a bar in there? Tunnels is also booked for the 1st November.

BUT FEAR YE NOT - I HAVE OTHER PLACES TO GO AND SEE/MEET WITH.

Hang tight.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...