aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Mini Music-fest - Opinions Please

MarkDrummer

Morning All,

Been toying with the idea of potentially putting on a mini music-fest later in the year. I went to Wake the Deen last year and enjoyed it, even if it was a little heavier music than I normally listen to.

It got me thinking - what if there was another music-fest but with slightly less heavy bands. More indie, poppy or electronic. A late afternoon/night event with a number of bands playing say, half hour sets each.

Wondered if there would be sufficient interest for such an event?

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions or just opinions?

• Upvote 1

If it's done well and promoted properly, it's a great idea. 

Realistically, you'd have to do it in the Tunnels, or book several venues in town and have it like Tryptych/OxJam. 

My main piece of advice would be to hold it on the first Friday/Saturday of the month, people will have been paid and are way more likely to come out. Oh, and get good bands to play (and pay them!).

• Upvote 1

I think it's a very good idea. Promote it heavily and get a decent lineup, can't see why it wouldn't be busy. However, doing it on Halloween is a risky call as every promoter/venue/other will be putting something on. That being said, most people go out for Halloween, so there'll be lots of foot traffic and more people looking for something to go to... so double-edged sword.

xx

Edited by Stroopy121
  • Upvote 1

I kind of fancied doing it on Halloween to be honest, might get more people. I wouldn't want to clash or step on the toes of the Wake the Deen guys but haven't seen anything for Hallodeen this year?

Also, if I did it on one day, all day, it could be a double edged sword in the sense that people would be hungover on the 1st from Halloween.....

Hmmm.......

I would explore other venues too. Part of the charm of an 'all-dayer' is the ability to come and go from the venue IMO. Also it's nice to be able to see that it's still light outside! Although this is obviously possible at The Tunnels, I'd see if there are other viable options too.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes

Looked into a few venues - I really liked the Little Kicks' album launch at the shop in the Academy. Whether or not this is doable is another thing. Also looked into booking the old Enigma but it's not gonna happen.

The logistics of this could be difficult - bear in mind that you will have to hire full a full back line for either venue.

Stevie Mule collated a great article about promoting, it could be on the 57 degrees North website. Have a read of that, as it is full of invaluable information.

One good thing about having more than one venue is that you are not resorting to mixed bills. Unless you are the Moorings, don't do a mixed bill, in my opinion they rarely ever work.

• Upvote 1

Echo the above sentiments regarding promotion.  You'd probably want to get one or two "big names" to headline also, a la The Little Kicks or out of town equivalent.  Maybe have a look and see if any biggish bands from England/USA/whatever are touring around the same time and look to get them on the bill? 

• Upvote 2

I would say you should talk to a bunch of local promoters too, for this kind of thing it is definitely best to have everyone working together, instead of a chance of folk competing. Also, leave plenty of time for planning and keep people informed of any changes or issues. Nobody likes being left in the dark and being confronted with nasty surprises!

• Upvote 1

I think something like this would be awesome in a venue that most people wouldn't usually consider. Don't get me wrong, if the line up is particularly strong then people would hopefully turn up regardless of where it is, but if it was to be a venue tailored to fit the needs of this event people will remember it for a long time. It might even convince more folk to turn up! As for advice on said venue...unfortunately I don't have any to offer; however I'm sure some people on here are bound to have some good ideas or can give examples of places this kind of thing has been done before?

• Upvote 1

Venue suggestions welcome.

My thoughts on the 'standard' Aberdeen venues are as below;

Tunnels - decent location, 'tried and tested' venue for mini-fest, decent price.

Drummonds - not suitable for what I want to put on.

Lemon Tree - little more expensive, decent location, 'outside area', excellent standard etc.

Downstairs - potentially too small.

Cellar - definitely too small.

I'd also like a 'think outside the box' type venue, just not sure where?

Venue suggestions welcome.

My thoughts on the 'standard' Aberdeen venues are as below;

Tunnels - decent location, 'tried and tested' venue for mini-fest, decent price.

Drummonds - not suitable for what I want to put on.

Lemon Tree - little more expensive, decent location, 'outside area', excellent standard etc.

Downstairs - potentially too small.

Cellar - definitely too small.

I'd also like a 'think outside the box' type venue, just not sure where?

Unless the Lemon Tree has changed dramatically since I put on gigs there a few years ago, I'd say it's more than a little more expensive than the others!  It's a great venue in my view, but you need to pull a really big crowd to break even and to get a good atmosphere in the place because it's so big!  300+ really for the place to be "busy" - I only managed that once!

What would be cool, but much more work (and probably costly / lots of red tape to get through / etc) would be in a public space like Union Terrace Gardens or something.  But you would need to factor in getting the Cooncil on board, getting a stage, hiring all the audio equipment / backline, portaloos, security, and all that jazz.  I'm sure there are lots of other things too.

What's going on down at Amadeus these days...?  It's probably crumbling so not a viable option.

Beach ballroom?  Probably not viable because it's probably like a magnified version of Lemon Tree in terms of size, cost, etc.  Those Live @ the Beach gigs seem to have died a death.

Sorry - that's probably not much help.  I've typed it now though, so I'll leave it.

Some out of the box suggestions:

Cowdray Hall

Seventeen (probably too small, plus no drinks licence I assume)

Peacocks (definitely too small)

Exodus

Somewhere on one of the uni campuses... Aberdeen must have a suitable space?

Woodend Barn (hard to persuade people to travel to)

Stonehaven Town Hall or similar Shire venues.

Hotel function room somewhere. Must be plenty of those but might be expensive.