aberdeen-music

New Foo Fighters album

I imagine watching the documentary will be a lot better than hearing the record. I'm with Rathen - I love Grohl, he seems like an amazing guy and a great role model and all that, but I just can't really get into the music. Except Everlong - that's a fucking amazing song. There are quite a few belters in the catalogue actually, just not enough.

xx

It's "a love letter to the history of American music"

I'm looking forward to the Detroit Techno and Southern Hip Hop tracks.

It will be rather dull rock like most of their output won't it?

First three or four albums have some brilliant tracks on them and they were great when I saw them live but Dave Grohl should just stick to his guest appearances with other bands these days.

Edited by Paranoid Android

I'm interested to hear the outcome of it, and to see each of the episodes. Having songs recorded in places like the same studio Minor Threat recorded their output, and at Albini's studio is pretty neat. I'm sure there'll be some wishy-washy stuff on there too.

I still like the first 3 albums as well.

I'm looking forward to the Detroit Techno and Southern Hip Hop tracks.

It will be rather dull rock like most of their output won't it?

First three or four albums have some brilliant tracks on them and they were great when I saw them live but Dave Grohl should just stick to his guest appearances with other bands these days.

I dunno, i think the newest album is one of the best in a long time. I really went off them after the 3rd album, but recent stuff has been a return for form for them. Stuff like White Limo and Walk are two of my fav FF songs now.

This new thing will be a bit gash id imagine, the sound city thing was ok, but id rather they just made another straight up FF album. 

I dunno, i think the newest album is one of the best in a long time. I really went off them after the 3rd album, but recent stuff has been a return for form for them. Stuff like White Limo and Walk are two of my fav FF songs now.

This new thing will be a bit gash id imagine, the sound city thing was ok, but id rather they just made another straight up FF album. 

I agree White Limo is a belter.

Their first album will always be the best one, there's something about how raw it sounds that I find really endearing.

I really liked the first couple of albums but kind of lost interest after that, still liked the odd song I have heard but have zero interest in the new album.

Been to see them a couple times because the wife is a fan, same stage banter all the time, kind of bugs me that Grohl turned into Mr Stadium Rock from his background but hey ho.

Is that studio documentary thing he did any good, been meaning to see it?

It's mostly ok. Worth a watch. It's similar to the Muscle Shoals doc that just came out.

One has a terrible cringey moment with Paul McCartney and Bono's in the other one, so there's awfulness in both.....

Edited by colb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I just watched the first one. I really want to think that Grohl had the best of intentions, but the songs are weeeell shite, and the ready steady cook approach to songwriting was really grim. Those lyrics.

Even if I wasn't being cynical and seeing the studios around America thing as an expensive advert for a pish album-by-numbers, it seems like a mega waste to go to a bunch of cool spaces and just have Butch Vig pro-tools everything in the control room.