aberdeen-music

Gary Barlow (and other tax avoiding scum)

I think HMRC are probably the scariest organisation in the country.  Want to contest that you owe us 100 quid?  Now you owe us 1,000.  Prove you don't.

Unless you're a large company. You owe us 1,000 quid. Oh, you just want to pay 10, that's fine. We're cool.

I suspect I know the sort of scam Barlow et al may have gone for, I worked with a guy who tried to convince me on a scheme, sounded dodgy to me. Its pathetic how much HMRC target individuals rather than corporations but i guess the lack of corporate lawyer power wins out in the end. Regarding Barlow, the hypocrisy of Cameron when he was quick to criticize Jimmy Carr rankles

I'm surprised that anyone would consider Gary Barlow a talented songwriter. Anything that I've heard written by him has been insipid, uninspired, cliched, bland, sappy and offensively dull. He is up there with James Blunt on the musical atrocities front.

He should pay his taxes too, but I think that should count for everyone.

• Upvote 1

Afraid not Milneypoos, all the songs you have mentioned are fucking horrid. Souless wankery.

From someone who writes songs the inability to not see compositional talent, the use of melody and the ability to use harmonies to great effect in songs you don't like baffles me.

Edited by Alkaline

You dont get to where he is unless you can write a good song, that much is obvious, you may or may not like the music he makes, but any musician should be able to appreciate the obvious talent he has when it comes to writing songs. Quiet a few number ones, top selling records and stadium tours, dont just happen by accident for a 40 year old. 

Pedestals are great to sit on, but a bit of perspective is needed, the man writes brilliant pop song. 

Edited by The Milner

I suspect I know the sort of scam Barlow et al may have gone for, I worked with a guy who tried to convince me on a scheme, sounded dodgy to me. Its pathetic how much HMRC target individuals rather than corporations but i guess the lack of corporate lawyer power wins out in the end. Regarding Barlow, the hypocrisy of Cameron when he was quick to criticize Jimmy Carr rankles

Most of the guys I know pay themselves a wage which they pay NI and Income Tax on, then take the rest of their cash as a bonus, which they pay corporation tax on. So they're paying tax on everything that they earn.

I think that's fair enough actually - that percentage of tax paid is a lot more than most people pay in normal jobs. 

When it comes to the offshoring schemes and claiming expenses all over the shop then I think it's a bit greedy - but again, it's up to HMRC to collect Tax - it's not up to the individual to automatically pay as much as they can.

He can clearly write a song, even if you dont like his pop music, songs like Back for Good, Patience, A million love songs, Rule the World and various others are fantastically written pop songs. 

Something like Call Me Maybe is a fantastically written and fantastic pop song. Those Take That songs are ballads by numbers and although they are well crafted there's not a lot of soul about them.

I can appreciate that there's talent there but they sound as if they were written to order.

Ah so now you can only be judged on the music you make if you only appeal to a certain criteria of the public?  

You can be judged on your music if it's available for the public to hear. The idea that all music is some how on an even playing field is like saying that McDonald's must be the best restaurant in the world as it has so many customers. Debasing musical ideas so that they have a massive appeal to an audience that is not particularly engaged in the art form robs the song of it's soul, thus commodifying it. Gary Barlow might as well be selling turkey twizzlers, and he should pay his taxes.

• Upvote 2

At the end of the day, to some people music needs to 'real', full of feeling and meaningful lyrics, and to some it's just something to hum along to during the day.

I think it's good that both sides are catered for. I don't see how a fella writing for an audience who like a nice ballad is any different to a band writng for an audience who like a big metal riff, or jangly indie or 20 minute songs that just have 3 notes in them (I should say, I like all of those things). Plenty of bands from the UK just live abroad half the time to avoid paying tax (the Stones and such) so it's the same thing really. The Stones have been shit for about 30 years and no one cares about that.

At the end of the day, to some people music needs to 'real', full of feeling and meaningful lyrics, and to some it's just something to hum along to during the day.

That's true. But someone may find music which has sold millions to be real, full of feeling and have meaningful lyrics and other may be happy to just hum along to a song a pained artist slaved over for ages before making no money from it.

It's incredibly snobbish to assume how another person feels about a piece of music based upon your own opinions of it.

Edited by Paranoid Android

I think it's good that both sides are catered for. I don't see how a fella writing for an audience who like a nice ballad is any different to a band writng for an audience who like a big metal riff, or jangly indie or 20 minute songs that just have 3 notes in them (I should say, I like all of those things). Plenty of bands from the UK just live abroad half the time to avoid paying tax (the Stones and such) so it's the same thing really. The Stones have been shit for about 30 years and no one cares about that.

Music with lyrics is shite, except for Call Me Maybe...