aberdeen-music

Gary Barlow (and other tax avoiding scum)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-27364089

So, what are people's thoughts on high earners such as Gary Barlow playing the system in order to avoid paying tax? Should he have his OBE rescinded? Should he be whipped within the inch of his life? Perhaps we should just leave him alone, since he hasn't broken any laws...

Thoughts?

What amuses me is when Jimmy Carr got into trouble for tax avoidance David Cameron passed comment on how shocking it was, yet now when a Tory supporter like Gary Barlow gets caught out, the Prime Minister says he can't pass comment as Gary's tax affair are his own business.

Which makes this even more amusing....

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/apr/20/cameron-family-tax-havens?cat=politics&type=article

The loopholes are there so the politicians can take advantage of them, same as their double income or "expenses".  There are a lot of millionaires in the House of Commons, I wonder how many of them have set up a business that makes a loss to offset against their earnings.

Gary Barlow is a total fanny, and makes some of the worst, most unimaginative music I've ever heard but really it's the system needs sorted (in a more general context). What pisses me off most is the hypocrisy of the man (doing work for children in poverty, etc) and then actively avoiding contributing to the system that would help the people he supposedly represents. Anyway, this wasn't a loophole, was it? This was just outright evasion. Why shouldn't he get a jail term? If I did the equivalent with council tax or whatever else I would be majorly shafted.

From his point of view, or other high earners, I can sympathise with people trying to pay less as a lot of people see the rates for tax being punishment for 'success'. If you morally disagree with it, then the temptation must be there. But a country can't be run like that, and I sure as hell don't want a poll tax, so screw this dick.

Who would argue with their accountant if they came to you and said they could legitimately save you money? I've got plenty time for Barlow as he's a very good songwriter and genuinely comes across as a nice enough bloke.

I think this a good point, people like Barlow pay accountants to sort out their taxes and the accountant does whatever he does to get him the best deal.  Barlow probably had no idea (as I am sure Jimmy Carr didn't either) that it was a covered-up tax avoidance scam.  Fuck if I was earning that kind of money then I would be paying for a great accountant to sort out that side of things for me!!!  I think too much is being made of this, bloody hell how many huge multi million pound earning companies are deliberately avoiding corporation tax?  And would still be getting away with it if they hadn't been caught?  Again though they were not breaking the law so you need to look at the bigger picture here.  Surely something needs to be done regarding the law????

All makes a mockery of how pathetic it is that this government chase after and lynch vulnerable people such as the disabled and job seekers (most of whom are actually genuine and not scroungers) to save a few quid. 

In all seriousness though, I know plenty of self employed people in the oil industry who do the same sort of thing. It's pretty common.

I dare say the taxman wants that cash back, back for good.

Yeah, I know loads of people who do it. But they don't posture for charities and attempt to use their seeming good nature to sell more records. He's a dick who should go to jail. For goooooooood.

Yeah, I know loads of people who do it. But they don't posture for charities and attempt to use their seeming good nature to sell more records. He's a dick who should go to jail. For goooooooood.

So what you're saying is that although lots of people do this, the one that actually tries to help charities as well and puts a lot of time towards raising money should go to jail rather than those who do the same thing but do nothing for charity...

I keep reading that what he did wasn't illegal but if that is the case how can a court order him to pay it back?

Tax law is pretty fluid and changes constantly - it mostly gets argued about after an arrangement is put into place. Your tax lawyer isn't about to go to HMRC and say "hey, can I do this?" - so they do it and then it's up to HMRC to challenge it if they think it's dodgy.

Happens all the time, it's usually not reported on unless someone famous is involved.

Edited by colb