aberdeen-music

Your views on a Les Paul

Steviepearce

Les Paul's are my worst nightmare, they are way too heavy for a skinny c*** like myself! They look nice, though! A lot of people mention the melody makers, does anybody own one and are they fairly light? I've been so used to playing large guitars that when I pick up something around about the same size as a Les Paul, it looks like a banjo!

• 5 weeks later...

I've got a 2002 LP Studio (owned from new), and it will always be my baby. I used it on all the Curators records, and I can't imagine ever not having it. It has taken a good few knocks over the years, but it's still going strong. However, it weighs an absolute ton and I live in fear of snapping the headstock. I've picked up plenty of other guitars over the years (I still have six electrics now...) and tend to gig with those now, but I bloody love my LP.

• 2 weeks later...

Les Paul's are my worst nightmare, they are way too heavy for a skinny c*** like myself! They look nice, though! A lot of people mention the melody makers, does anybody own one and are they fairly light? I've been so used to playing large guitars that when I pick up something around about the same size as a Les Paul, it looks like a banjo!

Thin mahogany body, usually one pickup, skinny headstock but 50s -style C neck.  Never seen a heavy one- usually under 7 lbs.  Anyone got a 90s/early 2000s example, with the P90, let me know............  :laughing:

Do you have your guitar low-slung like you're Tom Delonge? If you do, you're probably angling the guitar upwards a bit via the neck, which would bring the pick up switch a bit closer to where you strum. Or perhaps your strumming technique is mostly over the neck pickup.

I don't know how it's possible with a Strat either, but that top volume knob on a Strat always gets in the way of my righteous palm muting. Why's it so close to the strings?

I hit the pup selector on LPs and strats all the time. But I strum like Pete Townsend with Parkinson's.

I had an EPI LP and I loved it. Sounded nice and meaty, the pups were some special edition things that were extra-hot which meant that even the screaming cleans came out with a little bit of grit. My old guitarist also used a '56 reissue LP Jnr and that thing was fucking amazing. I also had a '61 reissue SG which was fucking great, but top heavy as a motherfucker.

xx

I've got a melody maker but it's the single cutaway LP shape. P90. I would say it's one of my fav guitars. I have a 2002 LP STD as well...Great guitar not too heavy (my 1980 Custom wins the prize). Some of the other LP models had selector switches down near the vol/tone nobs. Like the Nighthawk for example. These were also good guitars.