aberdeen-music

SQA curriculum for excellence

For most people if not all, You's were put through standard grades. This year kids are being put through the curriculum for excellence. It's highly unorthodox as it is something people and employers struggle to understand, it's clearly going to get worse once everyone starts job hunting as no one under stands the idea of a "credit" qualification being a "national 5" qualification.

Now what I find wrong: if you are at "general" level there is no exam just small assignments, is this right to do? Other flaws is there is no "foundation" qualification in most subjects. It's known as "national 3" but can only be done in maths and English. Personally in some situations it may strive kids to do better but in some it may fail kids as they aren't capable of a higher level

This new curriculum is very stressful for people teachers mainly. One of my teachers actually had to change to part time as she couldn't cope, kids are depressed, stressed and worried about the outcome. Was this a smart thing to do?

What do you think about the new curriculum? Was it real eased too early? Was it not planned enough?

The old curriculum clearly failed in your case so why not get a new one?

Seriously, so much of your post is unintelligible. I certainly don't have any  clue how this new curriculum works.

I think MM does okay considering he is only 15. No way would I have been able to discuss curriculum at that age...let alone do it on a forum. Yes it can be a mess at times, but at least the attempt is there.

• Upvote 1

I think MM does okay considering he is only 15. No way would I have been able to discuss curriculum at that age...let alone do it on a forum. Yes it can be a mess at times, but at least the attempt is there.

I most definitely spoke a lot of shite at 15 but I at least would have wrote it in way that didn't hurt the brain of anyone trying to figure out what I was trying to say.

• Upvote 1

personally I thought standard grades were better as you had a foundation level for every subject instead of now just national 3 for only English and maths but that's just my view, what do you think of their not being a final exam for people sitting national 4? I mean it is less stressful and I could spread the work out over a month or two and then get some hints and that from the teacher. I find their letting kids off too easy really. I don't think it's harder to manage I think it's just not been planned enough.

I don't really understand the point of exams at all. The whole thing about education is to shape you for working life. Unless you are doing training, the chances of your boss sitting you down each year and saying "Unless you pass this exam, you're not going to get your pay rise." Most places work on the continual improvement method, not how much knowledge you can recall in a hour and a half.

personally I thought standard grades were better as you had a foundation level for every subject instead of now just national 3 for only English and maths but that's just my view, what do you think of their not being a final exam for people sitting national 4? I mean it is less stressful and I could spread the work out over a month or two and then get some hints and that from the teacher. I find their letting kids off too easy really. I don't think it's harder to manage I think it's just not been planned enough.

Is there any point in having a foundation qualification? Does this new CfE not give dipshits the opportunity to do something they're potentially good at? Like I said I just skimmed through it, but I did used to feel sorry for folk who had to do foundation physics (etc.) because they had to.

Is there any point in having a foundation qualification? Does this new CfE not give dipshits the opportunity to do something they're potentially good at? Like I said I just skimmed through it, but I did used to feel sorry for folk who had to do foundation physics (etc.) because they had to.

i thought it was better, it may have made them look stupid but better sitting a lower level than failing at general level. If you feel bad for people that say foundation physics, you should really feel bad for people sitting life skills maths.

This new curriculum is very stressful for people teachers mainly.

Was it real eased too early?

These sentences are amazing.

Based on what you've said, you don't understand the programme either. Foundation equivalent grades (National 3) do still exist across a wide range of subjects, which are all listed here: http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/45625.3728.html

You're making on that foundation level pupils are essentially being forgotten about, when that is not the case at all. This may be the case at your school, but the courses are certainly available nationally for schools to utilise.

This curriculum seems to get away from the whole notion that exams are imperative to learning, and more in line with the approach of Universities; ie mixing up different types of assessment based on the subject/level, as opposed to having exams purely for the sake of a convenient assessment method.

• Upvote 1

These sentences are amazing.

Based on what you've said, you don't understand the programme either. Foundation equivalent grades (National 3) do still exist across a wide range of subjects, which are all listed here: http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/45625.3728.html

You're making on that foundation level pupils are essentially being forgotten about, when that is not the case at all. This may be the case at your school, but the courses are certainly available nationally for schools to utilise.

This curriculum seems to get away from the whole notion that exams are imperative to learning, and more in line with the approach of Universities; ie mixing up different types of assessment based on the subject/level, as opposed to having exams purely for the sake of a convenient assessment method.

well at our school we are only given the option of national 3 in English and maths and every other subject we are only able to sit national 4 or 5.

I have to agree with this. What is the point in foundation? It's a meaningless qualification. That probably sounds harsh but it's true. To be honest, standard grades are pretty useless. It's strange that you spend 2 years on standard grades but only 1 year on highers.

What I would like to see (and maybe the new system addresses this) are vocational courses for those who are less academic. Constant classroom learning is not for everyone. But I suppose that's more what college is for and apprenticeships.