aberdeen-music

Venues in Aberdeen at the moment

I think I might be in the minority, but as a gig venue, I don't like the Moorings. I didn't enjoy playing there, nor do I properly enjoy watching bands there. It's a great bar, but I've always felt that the live bands are a bit of a sideshow for the bar. The sound is very good, but it's also quiet. It doesn't feel like gig volumes. I always seem to be able to talk comfortably over a band playing. Gigs should be loud. I also don't like standing in that little box stage.

I like Cellar because it's intimate. Small venues is best.

I also like Tunnels, because it's loud, and mostly sounds great. I also enjoyed playing there, as I get to crank my amp loud, and it always sounded great on stage, It's a bit dirty though. Especially the toilets. They are grim.

The electrics in Cellar may be a bit iffy. Last time we played there I couldn't get enough juice to power up one of my pedals (it is a bit of a brute but 500ma isn't that much)........

Decent place to play though, lack of backline is a bit of a pain.

Downstairs is a good place to play. We don't have a singer so the PA isn't a factor, and the amps are solid enough to let us play stupidly loud.

I think I might be in the minority, but as a gig venue, I don't like the Moorings. I didn't enjoy playing there, nor do I properly enjoy watching bands there. It's a great bar, but I've always felt that the live bands are a bit of a sideshow for the bar. The sound is very good, but it's also quiet. It doesn't feel like gig volumes. I always seem to be able to talk comfortably over a band playing. Gigs should be loud. I also don't like standing in that little box stage.

I like Cellar because it's intimate. Small venues is best.

I also like Tunnels, because it's loud, and mostly sounds great. I also enjoyed playing there, as I get to crank my amp loud, and it always sounded great on stage, It's a bit dirty though. Especially the toilets. They are grim.

Moorings is definitely more a bar than a venue, but I think that helps it in a way. Friday and Saturday its always rammed regardless of who is playing, and its always more fun to play to that than a handful of hipsters staring at their shoes. The equipment and the sound is top notch as well. It's so easy. Just plug in and play. 

Cellar 35 is my favourite venue. Great settings, great atmosphere and James/Gemma are super easy to deal with, and Headache has built up a great releationship with them. Only qualm would be the backline needs majorly updated ASAP and that it's sometimes a wee bit quiet, but great to play and to promote in. Really filled a hole for sub-100 capacity venues that has really helped the scene. 

Downstairs, I don't really like. The layout is cliched (Jimi Hendrix, Cobain posters, and so on) and the pool table area can only ever take away from gigs, not add to them. That and the way they generally put themselves out there when they first opened (begging bands for instruments/donations, etc, shunning help from other venues) kinda put me off. That being said I've only been there a few times, and the last gig (Aberdeen remembers Nirvana) was fucking amazing and I was on stage too. Sound, I really think depends who is there: some nights it seems pretty good, some nights it's crap and the soundguy wanders off. Happy to be convinced on this one.

Not been in Drummonds for years. It's really more of a bar now isn't it? 

Moorings, likewise. An awesome pub but I don't go there for gigs really. Nothing that's ever on there that's really caught my eye, but good people and a good atmosphere. Always busy too!

Tunnels is rubbish. I've put gigs on there, and no doubt I'll do it again, but only out of necessity. They charge way, way more than other venues do and I'm not sure where this money goes? Bearing this in mind, I was quite pissed off when I turned up to a gig and got moved from Tunnels 2, specifically booked to give a better atmosphere, to Tunnels 1, which is a huge cave with nae atmosphere unless it's rammed. At another recent gig I turned up, having confirmed in writing what gear would be there, only to find the sound-guy had no clue and most of the stuff was AWOL or had never been there in the first place. Not a fan, totally gone downhill over the last 5-6 years. I feel for the sound-guy and other staff as they seem put out by the way the venue is run, as they have to deal with all the shit from customers.

Malone's I quite liked. A decent size, decent enough sound, good atmosphere but the lighting could be turned down a bit for when bands are on. Hope it carries on as a place for bands etc.

Only a mad man drinks draft beer in the Tunnels. My dad actually made that mistake a few months ago, literally the only person with a pint in the venue. He quickly switched to Red Stripe.

Last few times I've been there I've drank pints of Schiehallion. It was fine.

I like Downstairs, Cellar 35 and The Moorings.

Downstairs is great, Gav and Dave are nice guys who love music. I've enjoyed every gig I've played there (even the quiet ones) and the layout doesn't really bother me. The sound is a weird one though, some gigs have been great and some have been a bit rough from that perspective but I think they do alright with what they have. Do they even have a proper sound guy?

Cellar 35 is a nice wee venue (100 capacity though? Complete violation of fire regs with 100 people in surely?) but the sound in there is very hit or miss. It would benefit from a complete overhaul in equipment and colB is right, the electrics are a bit shoddy. However, what it lacks in that department is more than made up for in charm and atmosphere. It has potential to be right at the top of Aberdeen venues but it definitely needs work. The folks who run it seem nice enough. Is there still a problem with noise complaints?

The Moorings is probably the most together venue/bar at the moment in that the improvements that have been made are all very positive and the sound and atmosphere are great. Flash and the rest of the staff love the place and it shows. I've never had a bad gig sound wise in there and knowing that element is covered is a great bonus on the night. It also has the best likelihood of having a decent crowd regardless of who's on (though how attentive they are is debatable).

The Lemon Tree is a weird one. It has nice sound, the layout is decent and the capacity is good but it seems to be very badly run these days and seems horrendously expensive for gigs.

I used to love The Tunnels and Drummonds though echo the sentiment of them both having gone downhill over the past 5 years.

Cellar 35 is a great wee place, it has its limitations but I don't really think they matter too much for the level of gigs that take place there. Hopefully as they are taking on more live music they will invest in the place accordingly. Ive been quite impressed with Downstairs the few times I have been, sound was ok to my ears.

It felt like I practically lived in Tunnels for a period between playing gigs and watching gigs but its a complete toilet nowadays.

The Moorings is always a good night out but they have definitely inherited the ex-Drummonds stock-in-trade of old punk bands refusing to call it a day and tribute bands, they don't seem too interested in local bands these days unless its a punk or metal band. A select few bands seem to get regular slots. The eclectic Saturday night bills that I remember definitely seem to have mostly gone. Good business I guess but they have left the local music scene behind, which is reflected by their loss of standing in the best venue stakes, I suspect.

Not been to Drummonds for years.

What about suggestions for other places that might do gigs?. I've spoken to peacocks, they took forever between correspondence and I had to sort another venue before they got back with a yes, but it can be done if it fits with their schedule.

What about Belmont cinema?

O'neils was pretty cool last week. Dont think its all that viable with it being a chain, one crust gig and its over.

Ps. we're v. lucky we there's venues up here with backline as standard.

Warden - did you ever have any luck with that bar just up from Cellar 35? The one with the big function room downstairs.

The Rusty Nail?  They used to do a jazz open mike session a few years ago. It's a nice big long function room.

Malone's did us over on a couple of nights, kinda standard for a place not run as a gig venue as such.

never tried Rusty Nail, always has a band on at weekends so its ruled out for weekends at least.

Whats going to be the deal with "17"?. Would be great to have a place that isnt your usual venue/pub.

Best acoustics?  The Lampie- arched brick roof and stone flagged floor.......

Sound?  Drummonds, usually......

Most Intimate venue?  Cellar 35

Most reliable atmosphere?  Moorings.  A local treasure.  The Globe always attracts music loving, if transient crowds.

Underachiever?  The Tunnels!

Newcomer?  Downstairs (comeback?)

Stage?  The Forum, or Drummonds.

Neglected resources?  Upstairs at the Lampie is a great wee room.

Malone's did us over on a couple of nights, kinda standard for a place not run as a gig venue as such.

never tried Rusty Nail, always has a band on at weekends so its ruled out for weekends at least.

Whats going to be the deal with "17"?. Would be great to have a place that isnt your usual venue/pub.

We looked at 17 for a gig. I think you just have to fill out a booking form with the council. They were pretty open to gigs when i spoke to them, no booze though.

• 1 month later...