aberdeen-music

Tips for job interviews and CV's

Moon Moon

Helpful tips with CV's is just to keep them simple and short. Mines is one page even now at 30 with a lot of job experience. Make sure it is well laid out and structured well. Dont waffle on about what you did, short simple bulletpoints with duties and roles at previous jobs. A small paragraph about yourself at the end. A CV only gets you an interview, not the job, so you want to do your impressing at the interview stage. 

Never lie, but be generous when describing yourself. Dont over or under sell yourself and make sure its all 100% right in terms of spelling and grammar. 

I'm staying on at school to get better qualifications as to help with my future career in mental health nursing. If I want to skip a year or two at college I need a science which I can't pick up until 6th year which is unfortunate. If I get offered full time work there I may take it as it would be hard to get another opportunity like that.

I'd really like to thank everyone who has participated in this thread and please don't stop here as it's beneficial to others who may be having problems like me. I have taken notes on what You's all have said (mostly concerning spelling and grammar) and really do hope to use it well in the next few coming months as these may be my career starters.

Edited by Moon Moon
  • Upvote 3

He did ask for general advice though and it seems pretty good to me, regardless of what level job you're looking for most of this is applicable.

True, I just found the idea of him stressing about getting his Linkedin profile high up on google to help him get weekend shifts at McDonalds quite funny. 

• Upvote 2

Lots of good advice in other parts of this thread, my only addition would be not to fill your CV/app form with Bullshit, you will be found out when grilled at the interview stage! The CV should be relevant to the job being applied for, skills and experience should match whats expected in the job description, if it doesnt, dont bother applying!

If you get to the interview stage, do your homework, look up the company, its website, how long its existed, how many employees it has, etc. Also prepare 3-4 really good questions about the job itself, career prospects, further training, what are the companies plans for the future, etc. If you have to do a presentation, keep to the time limit.  If you dont know the answer to an interviewers question, dont waffle or bullshit, be honest and say you dont know but would be interested to learn more.

• Upvote 1

If you get to the interview stage, do your homework, look up the company, its website, how long its existed, how many employees it has, etc. Also prepare 3-4 really good questions about the job itself, career prospects, further training, what are the companies plans for the future, etc. If you have to do a presentation, keep to the time limit.  If you dont know the answer to an interviewers question, dont waffle or bullshit, be honest and say you dont know but would be interested to learn more.

Great advice. 

The interview will win or lose you a job, so that is where you want to be really impressive. Learn a bit about the company your for an interview for, prepare a few key questions that involve the business or at least along the lines of what they do. Have answers prepared for questions about what you learned in previous jobs and what you think you can take from those jobs into the new one.

Like i said previously, CV's wont get you a job, they will just get you an interview, dont overdo them, save your impressing for when you get a chance to speak to them. 

I'd really like to thank everyone who has participated in this thread and please don't stop here as it's beneficial to others who may be having problems like me. I have taken notes on what You's all have said (mostly concerning spelling and grammar) and really do hope to use it well in the next few coming months as these may be my career starters.

Please tell me you intended for this to be ironic.

• Upvote 2

I used to get 40 quid a week EMA, I'm pretty sure. I was one of the first people to get it, I believe, as it was piloted in Dundee (wonder why?) and in the first year(s) it was 40. Then they nerfed it to 30, although they also made the penalties for absence/lateness more lenient and/or perhaps increased the annual attendance bonus (yes, IIRC there's an annual bonus).

/cool story

Okay so unfortunately the position has been filled for weekend staff so I've been told by the boss (a very good friend of mine) if a 16 year old can be a relief worker the job is mine no interview or CV required but of course I will still make a CV as it's beneficial for future aspects of my careers

Yes, it'd be good to take your own advice here and think about making a CV for future use. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the chances of you needing a CV at some point in your life are pretty high. If you get the job, don't bother with the CV, that'll be you locked in till you retire.

Yes, it'd be good to take your own advice here and think about making a CV for future use. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the chances of you needing a CV at some point in your life are pretty high. If you get the job, don't bother with the CV, that'll be you locked in till you retire.

well this job is only relief staff so I'm a permanent temp person. So not really a job I'll stick to unless I do it when I retire but that's highly unlikely as I'll probably end up in the place! Colb has offered to read over my CV as he deals with them a lot so he's going to give me help and offer suggestions on it as it's something I'll need

Good thread. Lots of good advice in here.

For your CV I'd try and have a look at some examples from friends / family to get an idea of layout and content. Some folk put a hobbies / interests bit in, personally I don't like to include that. I'm there for a job nae to sit and talk about golf.

Interview tips: dress to impress, strong handshake, plenty of eye contact, smile. Basically be approachable. First impressions count for a lot.

Do your research and prepare some questions for your interviewers.

Don't lie on your cv or in your interview.