aberdeen-music

Tips for job interviews and CV's

Moon Moon

Yeah but that's not really what I'm saying. I agree that yes, in a broader sense (ie the general public) you are 100% correct. In MM's situation I am making the point that he might come across as uncommitted or have a poor work ethic due the circumstances around him leaving school.

I'm just making the point that he's going to have to think about a counter argument should they question his reasons for leaving, and the impact that may have on his chances of getting any of the positions he has applied for.

Does leaving school really give an impression of a poor work ethic? 

Anyway i got my job off the back of admitting i flunked Uni, only lasted 6 months, had job hopped for a while and had a gap of a few years with no work to mention. Work ethic is not a huge thing now a days, its what your able to bring to the company that they care far more about now a days. 

I think with School leaver type positions you're not really looking for much more than a smile and some evidence of being willing - so you're right about having a think about the question about why you're leaving school mid-year.

Thought it was more an in general "show me your work ethic" point you were making.

I think with School leaver type positions you're not really looking for much more than a smile and some evidence of being willing - so you're right about having a think about the question about why you're leaving school mid-year.

Thought it was more an in general "show me your work ethic" point you were making.

Aye nae worries. You could be right that it won't come up, but it won't harm the lad to be prepared for it.

Does leaving school really give an impression of a poor work ethic? 

Perhaps not, but I'm not the interviewer and it wouldn't be irrational to think that this may well cross their mind, especially if they're leaving after only having been back for a couple of months after summer.

Edited by givemeasmile

So, I've chased up a couple of agencies I'm registered with and have applied for a few other jobs this week with properly tailored covering letters, but wondering if there are other jobsites, company websites that regularly update their career areas that I could be looking at? OilCareers is pretty decent and I check indeed every now and again, but there are a lot more temp/contract roles on there as opposed to permanent ones at the moment. 

So, I've chased up a couple of agencies I'm registered with and have applied for a few other jobs this week with properly tailored covering letters, but wondering if there are other jobsites, company websites that regularly update their career areas that I could be looking at? OilCareers is pretty decent and I check indeed every now and again, but there are a lot more temp/contract roles on there as opposed to permanent ones at the moment. 

What sort of thing are you looking for, KT? 

I have three years of administrative experience, so I'm mostly applying for administrative roles that are a step up from what I'm currently doing which is a Discipline Secretary and Administrator at the Uni. I'm definitely not adverse to moving into another area, although my only other area of work experience is in customer service/retail roles. If it seems interesting (and I'm remotely qualified/meet the essential requirements), pays well (19k pa +) and is based in Aberdeen then I'll apply. I'm not overly choosy about sector. 

How is your linkedin page? I get loads of job stuff through there without actually being on it much.  Recruiters seem to be all over it these days.

Check out the pages of some people whose job you want and copy them. Post your page link here and we can all endorse you for loads of skillz.

I don't think LinkedIn will be much use. In my field(s) at least it seems to be way more mid- to senior or expert positions, that are hard to fill. I don't see much lower level or general admin stuff, and this kind of fits with what I've read about LinkedIn? In any case, when applying for jobs on LinkedIn you can actually see how many other people have applied, and it's pretty depressing.

As a recruiter - I think LinkedIn is pretty rubbish. It's just a (slightly) more businesslike version of facebook now with "likes" and countless blog posts stating the obvious/filled with meaningless platitudes. 

Karma - if you google "industrial areas Aberdeen 2014" you'll find a ton of maps that the council produce with a complete list of every company in every industrial estate in the city. You could do worse than sit with that for a few evenings checking every company's own career pages for roles. Not everyone uses agencies or oilcareers.

Edited by colb
  • Upvote 4

I've actually been contacted by several recruiters through LinkedIn this year, even though my profile is in great need of some love and attention. I started my current role in January and have absolutely no desire to move elsewhere, but receiver these propositions is a nice little boost. 

I've been contacted by recruiters through LinkedIn but to be honest it's the same kind of fishing that I get just from having my CV on Oil Careers or other sites.  Best leads have always come from sitting down with agencies that know my area and talking about what I'm looking for with them face to face.

As a recruiter - I think LinkedIn is pretty rubbish. It's just a (slightly) more businesslike version of facebook now with "likes" and countless blog posts stating the obvious/filled with meaningless platitudes. 

Karma - if you google "industrial areas Aberdeen 2014" you'll find a ton of maps that the council produce with a complete list of every company in every industrial estate in the city. You could do worse than sit with that for a few evenings checking every company's own career pages for roles. Not everyone uses agencies or oilcareers.

That is fantastic. Week/Weekend job hunt sorted.

I found most agencies in Aberdeen completely useless when I first graduated. There's not much in that 'don't want to clean toilets' but 'can't engineer a drill bit' niche. 

May be an obvious question but have you completely explored/exhausted your own connections? Meaning people's parents, friends of friends, neighbours... anyone that can put a word in for you or drop off your CV to someone who may be looking. Drop into conversation the fact you're looking for a job, someone might pick up on it and help you out in some way.

There must be 'networking' events in ABZ too? As cringeworthy as they may seem, they can be very useful.

I found most agencies in Aberdeen completely useless when I first graduated. There's not much in that 'don't want to clean toilets' but 'can't engineer a drill bit' niche.

Companies spend so much on graduate recruitment (usually hiring failed recruiters to do it for them) that they really don't like to pay any more on top, so it's not really something most agencies are able to help with - and then with the lack of experience most grads have its tricky to get them a job doing something not related to their degree.......unless it's a really general admin/blue collar job.

However most recruiters hate saying no to people so they meet them, don't bother telling them they can't help and then just never contact them again. It kinda sucks cos it adds to the perception that recruitment consultants are a waste of time.