aberdeen-music

Tips for job interviews and CV's

Moon Moon

It might be if he was molested, or entered into a relationship with a colleague or something similar that might be under investigation by the Police. That's what I expect it is, one of those.

I was guessing that the big smiley face after saying it was illegal made it a lot less serious then that.

Also, I don't think talking about something like that would be illegal.

If you're applying for a job where you meet, say, 9 out of 10 of the essential requirements, how do you go about stating the fact that you're quick to learn new systems/programmes/ways of doing whatever (I am, without bragging, very quick to pick these up) and not make it sound like a huge BUT in a covering letter? Is there a way to do this?

so i have got two interviews coming up, 1. raeburn health care as a health care assistant (it's an agency though) and 2. as a support worker for Bon Accord care (its really good pay and i get my level III SVQ) any tips for this? im not too fussed about the raeburn job im really wanting the Bon Accord one as there is many benefits to it.

so i have got two interviews coming up, 1. raeburn health care as a health care assistant (it's an agency though) and 2. as a support worker for Bon Accord care (its really good pay and i get my level III SVQ) any tips for this? im not too fussed about the raeburn job im really wanting the Bon Accord one as there is many benefits to it.

You'll want to think about your answer to the 'why do you want to leave school early?' question.

As an employee of the care sector one of your key responsibilities is to be extremely tolerant of others, and if you can't tolerate those around you at school (you said earlier this is why you want to leave) then this will certainly give them a poor impression of your interpersonal skills.

If I was interviewing you I would question your work ethic because you're looking to leave school, but on the other hand you're no doubt going to tell me you're a hard worker? Emphasise that this the career you want, and talk more about the opportunities it will bring etc etc and that you think the SVQ qualification is more benficial to you than the qualifications obtained at school given your choice of career path.

• Upvote 1

The Raeburn thing will likely be a standard agency registration (plus taking money for a Disclosure Scotland check) for bank/temporary work. I doubt there'll be any questions about motivation.........

Bon Accord is a Council run business I think, I'd guess that again motivation won't come into it cos there'll be a standard format that won't include any challenging questions.

If you're applying for a job where you meet, say, 9 out of 10 of the essential requirements, how do you go about stating the fact that you're quick to learn new systems/programmes/ways of doing whatever (I am, without bragging, very quick to pick these up) and not make it sound like a huge BUT in a covering letter? Is there a way to do this?

Hmm, I'd ignore it normally but just to clarify, when you say essential  have they noted their "preferred" and "essential" requirements?  I'd try and liken the remaining requirement to something you already know, and how this would be simple to learn.  For some places, unless you meet all essential requirements, you don't get an interview.

The Raeburn thing will likely be a standard agency registration (plus taking money for a Disclosure Scotland check) for bank/temporary work. I doubt there'll be any questions about motivation.........

Bon Accord is a Council run business I think, I'd guess that again motivation won't come into it cos there'll be a standard format that won't include any challenging questions.

No, but he'll have to say that he is motivated to work on some sort of level. Why would they employ him otherwise?

I would doubt that either of these interviews will ask if he's motivated to work or challenge his work ethic - it's kind of an old school/outdated interview approach these days. It's taken as read that people generally want to work.

With the employment situation as it is in Aberdeen anyone that isn't in the O&G industry isn't in a position to give people a hard time in interviews.....

• Upvote 1

Depending on what these systems/programmes are you could say you have very limited experience with them but are familiar, then google/read like crazy to get the basics.

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of larger service companies/operators often go through 'restructuring' phases when they realise that there's a whole management level that are essentially not doing much for the business and can be removed. I know that Shell did this a few years ago and Subsea 7 are on the same 'streamlining' drive at the moment. I believe Technip too.

Often this comes as a result of a merger or takeover where they save as many jobs as they can, then once everything's settled down again in a few years they work out there is a lot of overlap between roles, etc.

Shell and BP are doing it again,BG are offshoring their transactional finance and SCP teams next year.

Chevron and TAQA just slimmed right down too.

Amec/Wood Group/GE/Weatherford/NOV/Halliburton/Petrofac/Aker are in a constant state of change in one department or another depending on what contracts they've won/lost.

Mini booms and mini busts every ten mins, add to that the constant changing minds about whether to have contractors and staff and it's no wonder no one knows what's going on..........

• Upvote 1

I would doubt that either of these interviews will ask if he's motivated to work or challenge his work ethic - it's kind of an old school/outdated interview approach these days. It's taken as read that people generally want to work.

With the employment situation as it is in Aberdeen anyone that isn't in the O&G industry isn't in a position to give people a hard time in interviews.....

Yeah but that's not really what I'm saying. I agree that yes, in a broader sense (ie the general public) you are 100% correct. In MM's situation I am making the point that he might come across as uncommitted or have a poor work ethic due the circumstances around him leaving school.

I'm just making the point that he's going to have to think about a counter argument should they question his reasons for leaving, and the impact that may have on his chances of getting any of the positions he has applied for.

• Upvote 1