aberdeen-music

Tips for job interviews and CV's

Moon Moon

I'm just giving advice and helping with what ever they choose to do, for example if they do classes for elderly learning instruments I may come and help

That sounds pretty obtainable.  My advice before was fairly serious - you might not want to wade into an interview situation too guns blazing.  Be pleasantly receptive to their ideas, keep it humble and once you're within the inner sanctum THATS when you blow their hard won grant money on Quality Gear for old farts.

Seriousness aside, definitely boast about how great you are at setting up and maintaining musical instruments at some point in the interview.

I'm just giving advice and helping with what ever they choose to do, for example if they do classes for elderly learning instruments I may come and help

Don't take this the wrong way, but wouldn't you need to know an awful lot about what's involved, and be a lot better at playing instruments before you talk about giving advice and helping with lessons?

I'm not trying to be mean, but you're not a particularly accomplished player and your knowledge of kit is coloured by your relative inexperience. It's great that you want to help but you could do a lot more harm than good if you fire in at fifteen and try to run a project.

If I was you I'd consider just offering to support rather than doing anything more. Treat it as a learning opportunity and try your best to pick up as much as you can so that you're in a position to properly help with projects like this in future.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Don't take this the wrong way, but wouldn't you need to know an awful lot about what's involved, and be a lot better at playing instruments before you talk about giving advice and helping with lessons?

I'm not trying to be mean, but you're not a particularly accomplished player and your knowledge of kit is coloured by your relative inexperience. It's great that you want to help but you could do a lot more harm than good if you fire in at fifteen and try to run a project.

If I was you I'd consider just offering to support rather than doing anything more. Treat it as a learning opportunity and try your best to pick up as much as you can so that you're in a position to properly help with projects like this in future.

to be fair it's pretty hard to take that the right way. Really you don't know much about my playing ability, I've passed grade 3 guitar and doing 4 soon. I have a credit level qualification in music. As for my knowledge of gear; for electrics is highly recommend affinity squires as they are great sounding guitars that even suit more "accomplished" players. Acoustic I'd recommend Yamaha fg series which are tailored to entry level player but personally I feel they are great guitars for the money and have a great sound. Amp wise I'd recommend a vox amp from the VT+ series as they are affordable and robust amps that should suit the needs of all guitarist. For bass I'd recommend squier precision bass which again are cheap but playable and good quality. If a p.a is needed I have a good contact that could sort the centre out accordingly to their budget the same goes for microphones and other accesories.

Colin, I know your trying not to be mean and all but I am according to the SQA an "accomplished" player. I have enough knowledge about gear and have the right contacts in place to get it. I'm not trying to be mean either. Just trying to prove my point.

Those Vox Valvetronix amps are fucking turd. It's essentially a Line 6 spider without the Nu-Metal cosmetics.

I've owned two in the past. Never let me down and have always been reliable. I'd never even let them consider line 6, mine lasted a week before the fx wouldn't turn off.

Depends on what you class as a real amplifiers, I'm basing this on if they had a small grant and they have to buy new. I've played many amps including real amps like ac30's and high end Marshall's and a few orange amps. But really they are far too expensive and more than what a practice space would need.

to be fair it's pretty hard to take that the right way. Really you don't know much about my playing ability, I've passed grade 3 guitar and doing 4 soon. I have a credit level qualification in music. As for my knowledge of gear; for electrics is highly recommend affinity squires as they are great sounding guitars that even suit more "accomplished" players. Acoustic I'd recommend Yamaha fg series which are tailored to entry level player but personally I feel they are great guitars for the money and have a great sound. Amp wise I'd recommend a vox amp from the VT+ series as they are affordable and robust amps that should suit the needs of all guitarist. For bass I'd recommend squier precision bass which again are cheap but playable and good quality. If a p.a is needed I have a good contact that could sort the centre out accordingly to their budget the same goes for microphones and other accesories.

Colin, I know your trying not to be mean and all but I am according to the SQA an "accomplished" player. I have enough knowledge about gear and have the right contacts in place to get it. I'm not trying to be mean either. Just trying to prove my point.

Exactly none of that kit is what a music centre for people with special needs or the elderly would need as a basis to start making music. It's kit that you would want for a room that young people would use.

My opinion of your playing is based on the video you posted and the clip you put up a while back. It's not terrible, but you're clearly not that comfortable on guitar yet, so why try to do something you're not ready for?

Go and do what you want to do, I'm not here to judge and I hope it goes well. But remember that you started this thread talking about how you had a job and that didn't go the way you wanted it to did it? Go into things a little more humbly and you'll do a lot better.

Randomly naming some brands/models of guitars is not a demonstration of knowledge and it's almost certainly not what this centre needs, but it could probably use someone with enthusiasm who's willing to listen and think a lot more than talk and do.....

Edited by colb

Depends on what you class as a real amplifiers, I'm basing this on if they had a small grant and they have to buy new. I've played many amps including real amps like ac30's and high end Marshall's and a few orange amps. But really they are far too expensive and more than what a practice space would need.

Why do they have to buy new? There's little value in the brand new market, especially if there's a stringent budget involved. That seems like an odd stipulation.

Edited by Joda Serk

I do not know yet what they are wanting to do with the room. It's not my choice what they do with it. I'm generally there to offer my help, assistance and advice. I based my posting of gear on the absumption that they used it for people to learn or practice special needs or not. I think it's more than adequate. I'm not going go go in and offer any advice like that unless asked.

Why do they have to buy new? There's little value in the brand new market, especially if there's a stringent budget involved. That seems like an odd stipulation.

I do not know how it works but that's how it's done well that's how schools have to do it and considering it's within education, culture and sport section of the council my presumption would be it works like that also.

No it didn't. It went into pointing out that you're not really prepared for this meeting and some hints on what to research.

If you take ten mins and look at what music classes for the elderly and people with special needs actually involve you'd be a lot less inclined to just recommend guitars and basses.

You're fifteen and you've been playing guitar for a couple of years, your playing is about what it should be for that. Why get upset about it? I said that I didn't think you were accomplished enough as a musician to teach, not that you were bad at guitar.

I think you'd be well served to stop being so prickly and defensive, accept that you've got a lot to learn and set about learning it. It would be a much better look for you than this....

• Upvote 2

The place I volunteer, there is a guy with dimentia who plays guitar, obviously he is deteriating and his guitar skills are getting worse, I teach him all the time. It's hard work as he forgets a lot but it's worth it to see a smile on his face.

I feel you man.  But that's one guy doing something he obviously really likes to do.  Learning guitar from scratch isn't really a sociable activity that most get instant pleasure from.  And you certainly don't start a group of pensioners up on 150 quids worth of musical gear.  A lot of parents are more sceptical with young enthusiastic children, let alone a whole bunch of people who for one reason or another decided not to learn to play a rather challenging instrument in their 65+ years of life, and who quite likely lack the hand dexterity they once had.

It's admirable that this is how you spend your time, but I fear you're way too ambitious with these folks.  And looping it back into the interview thing, if you go in full steam ahead with pie in the sky stuff about cyber amps for the elderly, you're less likely to impress than if you just go in, be polite and don't get too specific.

SQA - Squier, Qualified, Accomplished. Rock on dude.