aberdeen-music

Tips for job interviews and CV's

Moon Moon

I just filled out an application form for a new job and they asked on it for references from my current place of work - to be taken up before the interview, which would pretty much end in me being sacked if my boss thought I was looking, or at the very least my life wouldn't be worth living - it would be illegal to sack me for it but my boss wouldn't care he would do it anyway and it wouldn't be the first time, you'd think people would realise that could put people on a dodgy wicket !

I just filled out an application form for a new job and they asked on it for references from my current place of work - to be taken up before the interview, which would pretty much end in me being sacked if my boss thought I was looking, or at the very least my life wouldn't be worth living - it would be illegal to sack me for it but my boss wouldn't care he would do it anyway and it wouldn't be the first time, you'd think people would realise that could put people on a dodgy wicket !

Having a life not worth living is probably worse than being sacked from a shite job you don't like, to be fair.

I don't dislike my job per se, I just want to be looking at doing something else, It seems a bizarre way to solicit references though.

For some reason I thought it was young A who wrote your first post. Hence my saying, shit job you don't like. I don't know what your job is...

It is a ridiculous way to obtain references but I'm sure back in the day I've had to do that too.

Any job that requires an application form rather than a CV just seems like total toss to me.

I agree. Surely references from a past employer would be okay. I think the only time that would work is if you were being made redundant etc. You could try calling them to explain that you would rather not ask your present place of work for a reference.  

I mentioned on the email I sent covering, i said i could get a reference from someone within the company if they liked, but I would not approach the company itself for a reference, but would happily supply references from my last few employers leading up to that.

I mentioned on the email I sent covering, i said i could get a reference from someone within the company if they liked, but I would not approach the company itself for a reference, but would happily supply references from my last few employers leading up to that.

seems like you had it covered then. You never know these days.

Okay so I've offered to do voluntary work at the rosemount learning centre to help develop their music room as they don't have the right ideas for it and so, I'm meeting the woman in charge on Wednesday, how should I approach this?

It's voluntary work, so turn up on time and be polite and enthusiastic and they'll probably let you work for free.

Okay so I've offered to do voluntary work at the rosemount learning centre to help develop their music room as they don't have the right ideas for it and so, I'm meeting the woman in charge on Wednesday, how should I approach this?

Best thing to do would be work on a couple of plans, set out what you can bring to them. Ideas of what they can do with the space, equipment they can get. If you know already what they have, use that as a start, plan out sessions for the room, say morning and afternoon (evening if possible), that can be cut down if need be so that they can have a few sessions for each part of the day. Look at other places, if possible, to see how they are doing things  Suggest ways to get people to come in for lessons/advice/demonstrations.

Have ideas for the room for different levels of people, parents and children, children, teenagers, young adults, adults and oldies, so when you get there you can ask them how they envisage the room being used, what the target audience will be, and you will have a few ideas to throw at them straight away.

Take a notepad with your ideas on, and so you can write notes up about what they are looking for. Make sure you emphasize that it's just a start plan, maybe have some ideas to how they can take the room forward with some investment.

Most importantly ask questions, lots of them, even if it may seem obvious, as usually the obvious questions have the least obvious answers, and what you think they would respond with may not be what they are looking for, plus it allows you to read them and find out how set they are by their body language.

They have been given a grant I have been told but not sure how much it and it would be cheeky to ask. Personally I wouldn't want it to turn into a practice space as such , I'd want it to be more aimed at special needs as really where is there to go to learn music and that? But really that's my idea which I won't pitch as obviously the centre would have to generate some income from it so a practice space would obviously be the idea.

I really want to be on this project as it's something I'd love to help out and be a part of.

Edited by Moon Moon

As I said, come up with ideas for various different activities that various walks of life can take part in. If they have a grant, ask about it, if they want to know why, say it will help you plan out what they can get and do with the room.

Have a look at some of the classes and family/community stuff that are on offer here - http://www.sagegateshead.com/ also look at other places, maybe ping Dave Officer a pm on here and ask for advice about what they are doing at Woodend Barn with regards to music (I'm guessing he's still out there).

While a practice space is obvious to you, it may not be what they are looking for with the space, for instance, my wife went to a class when she was pregnant at the Sage where they did nursery rhymes and children's songs with yoga, if you can do that, get it established, you can produce a CD of the songs that they can sell to help fund the class (she had to pay for the course over 6 weeks).

Don't just stick to what you think they should be doing, which is why I said asking questions is important, the more you know about their ideas, the better it will be for everyone.

Have a look at some of the classes and family/community stuff that are on offer here - http://www.sagegateshead.com/ also look at other places, maybe ping Dave Officer a pm on here and ask for advice about what they are doing at Woodend Barn with regards to music (I'm guessing he's still out there).

He's not, just started a new as the marketing officer for the city cultural team at Seventeen. But no harm in getting in touch with him anyway.

As I said, come up with ideas for various different activities that various walks of life can take part in. If they have a grant, ask about it, if they want to know why, say it will help you plan out what they can get and do with the room.

While a practice space is obvious to you, it may not be what they are looking for with the space, for instance, my wife went to a class when she was pregnant at the Sage where they did nursery rhymes and children's songs with yoga, if you can do that, get it established, you can produce a CD of the songs that they can sell to help fund the class (she had to pay for the course over 6 weeks).

Don't just stick to what you think they should be doing, which is why I said asking questions is important, the more you know about their ideas, the better it will be for everyone.

when im there on wednesday i think my main question to the lady would be "what would you like to do with the music room and where to do you hope to see it in the future" as you said its not what i think they should be doing its whats best for the people and the centre. thanks for the links and i will try Dave officer when i have the chance also. I would also like to hear your ideas also to present as it cant all come from me i need some support from others also to create this project. i know a few people on here live in they city centre and in rosemount. so, what would you like to be done with the room, personally i think theirs enough practice spaces in the area but open to ideas and suggestions.

regards,

moon moon

Edited by Moon Moon

What are their ideas and how do you know they are not right? If you already know that then asking her what they want to do about it is going over old ground. Listen to what they have to say about it before giving your opinion on it. They have a good chance of knowing what their currents needs are, and how best to handle the situation. They might however not know about the gear to get to satisfy those needs....that's where you can come in. Remember that it's not gear for you to use, it's for the people coming to the learning center. So with that in mind it's maybe better to get, for example, a couple of cheaper guitars (squires/epi's) instead of one MIM or USA model etc. 

Of course you maybe already know that if so...sorry.

I don't really understand what the gig is... it sounds like you're going there with a view of being some sort of consultant? I've heard of groups of teenagers being asked for opinions on stuff like this, but not an individual 15 year old spear heading a project and recommending what they do with a budget.

I don't really understand what the gig is... it sounds like you're going there with a view of being some sort of consultant? I've heard of groups of teenagers being asked for opinions on stuff like this, but not an individual 15 year old spear heading a project and recommending what they do with a budget.

I'm just giving advice and helping with what ever they choose to do, for example if they do classes for elderly learning instruments I may come and help