aberdeen-music

Where did it begin for you?

britheguy

Just been thinking about how I went from playing Metallica covers in a mate's garage to being in a band.  While a lot of my friends played guitar none of them have ever really gone on to be in gigging bands doing their own stuff.  Fuck knows why, two of them were lightyears ahead of me in terms of ability. One did go on to study music and played in covers and weddings bands for a while but that was all.  Always struck me as a waste.

I think in 98 or 99 when I was 18 I tried answering a few adverts in R&B and then ended up jamming Black Sabbath songs with Paul Sammat in the old Captain Tom's on Dee Street.  Then both of us got involved with Pete Harper and Red By Choice (don't think Sammat was originally involved with this but joined later). Spent a year writing the music for the set then got sacked after the first gig in Exodus and watched every man and his dog go through that band's lineup before it inevitably imploded.

Kept writing music and got Dos Dedos together after a year or so. Great 3 years during what was a pretty fun time to be in a band in Aberdeen. Lots going on and seemed like everyone was on the same page. Drakes, Dr Drakes, Glow/Lava/Kef, The Palace all saw more of me than my home in that time. Kind of petered out a bit in the end and everyone quit after a shitty gig playing to nobody. Did have a few jams with some of the guys after that to do something else but it was done.

Next up was spending fucking ages trying to get a metalcore band off the ground with Phil Alkaline and others.  Fuck knows what happened but it just never got any momentum.  Eventually killed that after yet another drummer disaster without playing a single gig.

Think 1864 In Art followed directly after that. 2 or 3 gigs. Pretentious as fuck but good fun.  Post rock with annoying (for Martin) time signatures. Again lost momentum after a member left (bassist this time) and never quite got going again. Shame as there was some good ideas being worked on before it stopped.

Next few years I started writing some proper solo songs and was getting seriously into folk and trad by this point. Also spent a couple of months getting an alt-rock band up and running in a Tomahawk style but again it was struggling for momentum. Didn't feel like it was working so when I was asked to help out with Das McManus I knocked it on the head.  With me leaving Das at the end of last year that's us up to date.

Wasn't that annoying and I often lament the early demise of that band, it was great fun to play. Fucking Jim and his moving away to other places.

• 3 months later...

My dad played in the Aberdeen pub band ATLAS back in the 70s, and I remember getting dragged along to one of his rehearsals at the Argo, which is now Pure Gym, down the harbour!!,

I was both bewidered and excited my the sights and sounds I witnessed of Live Rock n Roll, I was fixed on the Drummer and the Kit, I was only about 7 or 8, but It was life changer, then of course in came Punk and that was me!!

This influence then hooked my brother a bit later, and the record buying and our own bands followed