aberdeen-music

S.G pickup reccomemdations

Moon Moon

As far as I'm aware, even the low-end LTD stuff has proper ESP tuners on them. I had tuning trouble to begin with when I had a Viper, but I got the nut replaced, and the tuning issues were gone. Seemed like a poorly filed nut was causing the issue.

I'm changing the colour of the hardware anyway as I hate the black on black look, so I'm not sure to go gold or chrome though

Or the Viper 256, as it comes with the colour hardware you're after and those ESP P90's are supersmashinggreat.

ltd+viper-256p.jpg

damn those are pretty, what I love most, is the kinda droopy bit at the bottom of the body. But those p90's look awesome in the guitar especially on the red one. Edited by Moon Moon

yeh it's too late, what's the difference between the standard set if emg 81/85 and the wylde signature set? Is it the solder less pots and that?

Cheers I'll look into those tuners once I choose a colour to put on the guitar, I'm thinking gold then vintage style tuners. Preferably second hand as I'm not back to work for another week.

The difference was just really that the Zakk Wylde set came with 4 long shaft pots for installation into a Les Paul as well as all of the other necessary parts (output jack, battery cable etc.). :up:

The difference was just really that the Zakk Wylde set came with 4 long shaft pots for installation into a Les Paul as well as all of the other necessary parts (output jack, battery cable etc.). :up:

that makes more sense, but is there any difference pickup wise when it comes to sound quality?

that makes more sense, but is there any difference pickup wise when it comes to sound quality?

Nope - the ZW set is just an 81 and 85. They are exactly the same pickups as buying separately. The only difference is the fact that you get all of the bits and pieces to make up a 'set'. 

If you want to know about the differences between the 81 and 85 when comparing against each other, I wrote a huge post on here about that ages ago. I can dig it out if need be. :)

Nope - the ZW set is just an 81 and 85. They are exactly the same pickups as buying separately. The only difference is the fact that you get all of the bits and pieces to make up a 'set'.

If you want to know about the differences between the 81 and 85 when comparing against each other, I wrote a huge post on here about that ages ago. I can dig it out if need be. :)

I would've been aswell just getting the pickups instead of the set then. Yeh dig it out please, if you don't mind of course.

Was this thread really necessary if you were just going to completely disregard all advice anyway?

At least we know what colour hardware you're going for well in advance. Great day.

I have taken on board the advice, I did get pickups just the wrong ones, I'll try again and hopefully get something that's more adiquite to my needs

It's crazy that he claimed that HB sized P90s were his first choice, but then goes right to the other end of the spectrum, and buys the most unsuitable pickups possible.

Oh, hey guys, I'm the market for a classical acoustic guitar. What do you recommend? Oh, nevermind, I just bought a bright yellow 8 string flying V instead.

Edited by Joda Serk

I think the only surprise here was that pickups were actually bought and not a completely unrelated piece of kit.

Making this a slightly less waste of time than the usual YoungA thread buffoonery.

I know atleast I've bought it and realised my mistake and it's not really been a complete waste of time.

You never know. You might like 'em. They are super high output, so are catering for bands who use lots of distortion, but their natural EQ is incredibly punchy. The clarity you get from an EMG81 is superb. Maybe you can get the best out of them somehow

And even if you don't like them, putting an EMG set into a Viper will up its value, as those LTD pickups are garbage.

You never know. You might like 'em. They are super high output, so are catering for bands who use lots of distortion, but their natural EQ is incredibly punchy. The clarity you get from an EMG81 is superb. Maybe you can get the best out of them somehow

And even if you don't like them, putting an EMG set into a Viper will up its value, as those LTD pickups are garbage.

I don't use a lot of distortion but I still use small amounts of it a lot. Well I might like them you never know, could decide to keep them in the end.

I don't want to sell the thing unfortunately.