aberdeen-music

S.G pickup reccomemdations

Moon Moon

I used to have one of those Ltd Vipers. Solid guitars. It was cheap, but for the money, it had a big sound. Massive body. I agree though. The stock electronics were garbage. I put a SD Dimebucker in at at the time, as I got it for free. It was surprisingly good, and sounded totally huge. Probably not the pickup for you though, as it's geared towards METAL.

Just lob a Seymour Dunc JB in it. As versatile as it gets.

Or get some HB sized P90s. Because P90s are the bestest.

+1 on P90s, They are the besterest.

If you're working on a budget, try Irongear. Cheap and pretty darn good. Got a guitar with 2 of these in it http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_014.htm

And I think it sounds great.

But then tone is all down to opinion. Almost every pickup available will have high quality demos for you to listen to, that'll give you a rough idea of how it will sound.

When you say bland, what do you mean by that. Is there nothing you can tweak in your set up to counter act the blandness.?

I find it hard to see past Wizard pickups, but I'm not sure how much they are these days. If you've not heard them I can let you hear my sg with them.

When I had one, to my ears, the pickups just lacked any definition. The bass response was mushy, and there was no bite in the upper-mids. Even though a JCM2000, which is all about mids and top end. Stock LTD electronics are notoriously forgetabble, IMO.

When you say bland, what do you mean by that. Is there nothing you can tweak in your set up to counter act the blandness.?

I find it hard to see past Wizard pickups, but I'm not sure how much they are these days. If you've not heard them I can let you hear my sg with them.

Well, if you want Wizard pickups, you'll have to find them second hand - the Wizard has retired.

I used to have one of those Ltd Vipers. Solid guitars. It was cheap, but for the money, it had a big sound. Massive body. I agree though. The stock electronics were garbage. I put a SD Dimebucker in at at the time, as I got it for free. It was surprisingly good, and sounded totally huge. Probably not the pickup for you though, as it's geared towards METAL.

Just lob a Seymour Dunc JB in it. As versatile as it gets.

Or get some HB sized P90s. Because P90s are the bestest.

that's the guitar man esp ltd viper-50. i never thought i'd like it as i thought it was a bit gothic but i've never played such a ace guitar the neck is so fast. Well p90's were my first choice as i love them but to be honest i've never upgraded pickups in my life so i don't know much about them.

+1 on P90s, They are the besterest.

If you're working on a budget, try Irongear. Cheap and pretty darn good. Got a guitar with 2 of these in it http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_014.htm

And I think it sounds great.

But then tone is all down to opinion. Almost every pickup available will have high quality demos for you to listen to, that'll give you a rough idea of how it will sound.

i wouldn't say money is an issue but theres no point spending all that money on a cheap guitar, i was eyeing up these 

no matter what settings i used it still sounded the same which was kinda tinny. wizard pickups are ace, my mate has them in his gibson sg, i hate the guitar its self but the pickups sound nice.

Sorry but that Tonerider clip was doing my head in. Why did the guy have to use so much fx for the demo. My pc is streaming very slow so I gave up after about 1.40 so it might have got better....I somehow doubt it.

Maybe the PU are great, but I wouldn't be buying them on the back of the demo. IMO of course

I've went and got a set of emg Zakk Wylde signatures

Really? They are super high output. They pull off pinched harmonics just by looking at them. I thought you played clean poppy music? EMG's are geared towards contemporary heavy metal. Big punchy palm mutes and soaring leads. From my experience, they don't clean up so good. I've never been able to get a good low-gain tone out of them either. They always sound a bit hollow unless you're pushing them as far as they'll go.

Really? They are super high output. They pull off pinched harmonics just by looking at them. I thought you played clean poppy music? EMG's are geared towards contemporary heavy metal. Big punchy palm mutes and soaring leads. From my experience, they don't clean up so good. I've never been able to get a good low-gain tone out of them either. They always sound a bit hollow unless you're pushing them as far as they'll go.

I'm buying an Italia which is for the poppy stuff, the sg is for the heavy stuff that we do as a band as I'm the lead guitarist. I'm needing that kinda sound.

P.s I can't do pinch harmonics so that's a bonus